IGNORED

WATMM comes to Springfield!

AJW

god....simpsons have fallen so low......the first 10 seasons will forever be beloved.

ps thats not fucking hipster. Im embracing ten goddamn years of an excellent show.

god....simpsons have fallen so low......the first 10 seasons will forever be beloved.

so true. your post made me check which episode belongs to which season and there really is an immense quality drop from season 9 to season 10. Season 9 has some of my favorite episodes, like "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" or the one where Homer & Marge try to revive their boring sex life... real classics. And Season 10 already has the Japanese Game Show episode, the Max Power episode, the bad Halloween one with Snake's Hair-Transplant ... it's a pretty big leap downwards for some reason.

anyway, the new episodes like the one linked in this thread are a bit less cringeworthy than season 15-22 ... but still a hundred times less the quality of the old seasons.

anyway, the new episodes like the one linked in this thread are a bit less cringeworthy than season 15-22 ... but still a hundred times less the quality of the old seasons.

I agree with this. "Jerkass Homer" seemed to finally dissipate and the episodes in general have been more pleasant and interesting in general since the film in 2007. I can usually flip on a new episode and get a good chuckle at some point. 5+ years ago it was often just awful.

My theory is the show won't die until one of the main cast members does - it's morbid but it's the only way I can imagine it occurring. Harry Shearer has had his gripes about the show but nonetheless continues to do voice work.

One of the reasons I enjoy Bob's Burgers so much is that it captures a lot of the silly yet sincere attitude of early Simpsons episodes. It's ironic that some of the most relatable television shows in the last decade or so, ones that actually center around lower middle class life in America, are animated and/or unorthodox comedies: Simpsons, KOTH, Malcolm In The Middle, Roseanne, The Middle.

The only true pitfall of something like the decline of the Simpsons is that it's been going on for long enough that it seriously affects your fandom of the series. A lot of media declines at the end, but the magnitude of how long Simpsons has outlasted and subsequently morphed after it's prime is substantial. It's jumped the shark for so long that we can all agree it's declined and yet still debate when it did in terms of seasons or eras, not just episodes. That's a long time. I've literally watched it since I was a toddler: my parents had "simpsons roasting on an open fire" on VHS from 1989 and we watched it every xmas for my entire childhood.

It's a prime FWP, but there was a time when I could with 100% confidence and no hesitation say "The Simpsons is my favorite show" and that's impossible now (much like someone can't say "I love The Smashing Pumpkins" anymore as a fan)

Speaking of:

There's no denying that The Simpsons is up there as a cultural milestone and it's achieved big things for longer than anyone would dare to consider. Along with 9/11, it's probably one of the most important things to have happened during our lifetimes. No joke.

But it's been rotten since 2000. It was decomposing for a couple of years before that. But it's rotten. I find that the new episodes are still very weak. With jokes that don't have a pay-off, jokes that are random and unrelatable, jokes that go on (in a dumb way) for too long. It's still Zombie Simpsons. They're going through the motions.

Even Bart's voice grates on me nowadays.

I, too, have wondered how The Simpsons will end. It's hard to imagine it continuing after one of the main cast dies (which one of them surely must soon).

But I wouldn't put money on that being the end. I suspect they'll replace members, have another blip for a decade, and carry on 'til people get used to it. Like they've done in the last 10 years.

When the writer's striked in the early 2000s, Castellaneta wrote this song about The Simpsons being unkillable. For me, it's the last funny genuinely thing The Simpsons ever did. But it's a bittersweet funny. It's so defeated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gump_Roast

I have a huge respect for The Simpsons. And yeah, like millions of others, for many years I would have happily admitted that it was my favourite TV show.

But it's just an interesting artefact now. It's death is almost unimportant. It's been dead for years anyway. It may turn out to out-live the lot of us. It should be considered and studied. But, for me, it can no longer be enjoyed post-Season 10.

To those who are interested, here is a vid of Conan O' Brien's reunion with the old Simpson writers:

Pretty interesting, but there's no mention of the show's decline in quality tho. Probably because they still have friends working there that they don't want to discredit on camera.

I'm still not over the fact that Conan is the one who wrote the Monorail episode!

When the writer's striked in the early 2000s, Castellaneta wrote this song about The Simpsons being unkillable. For me, it's the last funny genuinely thing The Simpsons ever did. But it's a bittersweet funny. It's so defeated.

lol! that one! it's so ironic how they portrayed these obviously bad ideas for future episodes as a parody, like a "worst-case-scenario", but then it kind of became the reality. They did base an entire episode around Bart getting a cellphone for real later, which they probably did as a reference to that song, but then again, the actual episode where he got the cellphone SUCKED so it's even more ironic that it was self-aware and still bad.

So is Edna K not gonna be on the new episodes or are they going to use pre-recorded snippets like they did for Chef on South Park?

The German voice actress of Marge died a couple years ago, she got replaced by a much younger woman who does a lot of impressions, so now the German Marge sounds more like the original Marge. The German voice actors for Simpsons are actually pretty good, there's horrible translation mistakes, but the voice actors are charismatic, especially the German Homer, I actually prefer him over the original, he isn't as dorky sounding which to me makes it funnier when he does stupid shit because he seems less like a cartoon character and more like somebody you could actually know IRL.

So is Edna K not gonna be on the new episodes or are they going to use pre-recorded snippets like they did for Chef on South Park?

She has prerecorded the rest of this season and into the next. After that she will be no more.

especially the German Homer, I actually prefer him over the original, he isn't as dorky sounding which to me makes it funnier when he does stupid shit because he seems less like a cartoon character and more like somebody you could actually know IRL.

Is the german homer doing gags with a straight voice kind of like Mcbain doing standup.

http://youtu.be/rIlpYLIiZLE

lol! that one! it's so ironic how they portrayed these obviously bad ideas for future episodes as a parody, like a "worst-case-scenario", but then it kind of became the reality. They did base an entire episode around Bart getting a cellphone for real later, which they probably did as a reference to that song, but then again, the actual episode where he got the cellphone SUCKED so it's even more ironic that it was self-aware and still bad.

I lost my shit when he sings "Marge becomes a robot!" I remember the day my brother watched that episode years and years ago. Also, I know they did at least two "crazy weddings."

The German voice actress of Marge died a couple years ago, she got replaced by a much younger woman who does a lot of impressions, so now the German Marge sounds more like the original Marge. The German voice actors for Simpsons are actually pretty good, there's horrible translation mistakes, but the voice actors are charismatic, especially the German Homer, I actually prefer him over the original, he isn't as dorky sounding which to me makes it funnier when he does stupid shit because he seems less like a cartoon character and more like somebody you could actually know IRL.

Interesting, I've always found the German dubs to be very endearing in particular. Do they change the script and jokes for the German syndication? I read somewhere they often switch nationality jokes around depending on where it aired.

She has prerecorded the rest of this season and into the next. After that she will be no more.

She was a guest voice officially, all those years she was never on the full cast roster. Edna K was a great character too.

Speaking of the original topic, I kinda like this one, it was basically a focused Portlandia episode. I don't think they acknowledged it as a crossover though. Nothing to do with WATMM, more of a rundown of gentrification/urban "hipster" tropes.

Archived