IGNORED

How to present yourself on stage

granty

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did it stood up, in front of a table with my laptop and keyboard, drinking a pint of Heineken. I had my headphones on as well, this was a good idea because I couldnt hear some of the quieter guitar parts through the PA and it sort of put me more in the electronic music producer category and less in the cabaret act category. Definitely the best and most enjoyable gig I've played - it was full because they showed a footy match on the screen just before I was on, and everyone hung around. I made sure the volume was such that people could chat if they wanted, but also listen - that definitely helped because a few people would have left halfway through my set otherwise. I didn't say much, just hello thanks and goodbye essentially, any extra would have been pointless because people were chatting amongst themselves. I really got into it, just enjoyedbthe whole act of playing music ive written and enjoy. It looked like other people were enjoying it too, got some applause after every tune and some dude was nodding his head ffs - like he was actually into it! Having more people watchining made it easier and less nerve wracking in a weird way, less embarrassing. The owner asked me back anyway, mission accomplished.

nice.

There are plenty of rules for solo electronic musicians.

1. Look really really focused, and maybe even a bit annoyed, while staring into your laptop. It'll make what you're doing look really complicated.

2. Turn knobs on an unplugged mixer whenever you feel like showing that you've got things under control. People won't be able to tell that nothing is happening anyway since they music you're playing is super IDM to begin with.

3. If you're playing some hella banging choons, you're allowed to nod your head for a minute or so. Don't overdo it though.

4. Do not acknowledge the crowd. You may wave at them or something when you enter and leave the stage, but that's it.

There's probably more I can't think of right now.

This is perfect.

/thread

I like the idea of being masked and anonymous. Ideally I'd do the gig dressed as robocop, then at the end get my mate to shout out 'nice playing son, what's your name?', then I'd just go 'murphy' and walk off.

• 4 weeks later...

Some things that help with reducing anxiety before a set:

- Don't get high before your set.
- Walk around the block a few times before you go on. Open air does wonders and you feel completely relaxed.

- Have 3 back up plans if your main set fails, even if its just playing mp3's off of a thumbdrive you carried in your pocket.. If you play infrequently your main set will probably fail 30% of the shows/performances you go to.

- As a last resort, make a song completely out of Windows OS sounds so if your set crashes you can do a smooth recovery.

To presenting:

Look like whatever you are doing is important.

Don't feel afraid to dance to your own stuff on stage.

Don't look at the audience if whatever you are doing *is* actually important.

If you have a heckler just call him up and be humble. I play weird stuff so I usually just make a self aware joke about it. Ignore the drunk ones, though; they are trouble

There are plenty of rules for solo electronic musicians.

1. Look really really focused, and maybe even a bit annoyed, while staring into your laptop. It'll make what you're doing look really complicated.

2. Turn knobs on an unplugged mixer whenever you feel like showing that you've got things under control. People won't be able to tell that nothing is happening anyway since they music you're playing is super IDM to begin with.

3. If you're playing some hella banging choons, you're allowed to nod your head for a minute or so. Don't overdo it though.

4. Do not acknowledge the crowd. You may wave at them or something when you enter and leave the stage, but that's it.

There's probably more I can't think of right now.

This is perfect.

/thread

There were these guys I saw open for wisp earlier this month and they had the most IDM set I have ever experienced. They followed Friendly Foils 4 simple steps to a fuckin T. There was about 5 minutes out of 30 where they played something relatively dance-able/not random and never, not even once did they acknowledge the crowd was there.

Plus turtleneck sweatshirts. Don't forget those.

so can someone remind me why shouldn't we love Russia Today? where else is this even possible?

btw john, i respect you even more after this :beer: ...all well said, and played

Guest AsylumSeaker

This is also quite good:

I'm not sure if they always take that much gear on stage, but they're one of the most genuinely 'live' acts around, in my opinion. I love that every movement they make is functional, rather than merely for show.

Archived