IGNORED

dubnobasswithmyheadman turns 20!

dr lopez

EXACTLY 20 years ago today, on January 24th, Underworld released dubnobasswithmyheadman. So dear to my heart as I found it when my interest in lyrics and songs was beginning to seriously wane. I have spun in countless times since that happy moment in 8th grade. I’m so grateful for this classic so let’s celebrate its birthday - I'm spinning it now as I write this; it hasn’t aged a fuckin' day!

PS - To any Sopranos fan: Listening to “Dark & Long” I think it’s pretty clear where Alabama 3 got their inspiration for “Woke Up This Morning.” anyone else agree?

Hurrah!

January 24th is Dubnobasswithmyheadman day. Still think it's a brilliant album. A rare mixture between underground techno and pop which deserved every bit of success it got.

For those that think the loudness war isn't a thing - put on any track released this year (erm, not one by Richard Chartier though!) with any track on dubnobass .... The album is unbelievably quiet

• 4 months later...

20th anniversary reissue time!!!

"To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Dubnobasswithmyheadman, the album has been meticulously remastered at Abbey Road for a deluxe reissue by Rick Smith. Revisiting the original MIDI files, Rick uncovered a wealth of previously unreleased material and rare alternate mixes that sit alongside the record’s original companion singles and remixes and offer a fascinating insight into the creation of the record.

Formats include a limited Super Deluxe 5-CD Box Set with book containing memorabilia and newly created artwork by design collective tomato; a 2CD Deluxe Edition; 2LP on 180 GM vinyl + multiple other formats.

To coincide with the re-release of Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Underworld will play the album in full at a one-off show at London’s Royal Festival Hall on Saturday 11th October 2014. This show will offer fans a unique chance to see Underworld in one of the capital’s most iconic venues playing this classic album in its entirety for the first time. Tickets cost £35/£30 and are on general sale from 4th July.

Pre-order dubnobasswithmyheadman on underworldlive.com before 2nd July and get access to tickets to the Royal Festival Hall show 24 hours before they go on general sale.
(Tickets are available to Southbank members on 2nd July, underworldlive.com pre-orders on 3rd July and general sale from 4th July)

http://www.underworldlive.com/news/2014/06/dubnobasswithmyheadman-20th-anniversary-re-issue-show-2/"

That super deluxe pack is amazing! I seriously haven't been this stoked for a release in ages.

I'm considering going to London for that show as well. Would be great to hear the whole album live. Maybe even Emmerson would show up?!

This album is one of the most thrilling albums Ive ever heard... Underworld has and will always be one of my very favorite electronic artists. They're visionaries in every sense of the word, and unique and creative beyond measure. One of the only artists I can listen to while sleeping, working out, cleaning my room, driving, out at a club, being intimate with my gal, and for pure listening... And ANY of the their albums at that.

You guys who live in London are beyond lucky for being able to catch them live in October.. I hope one day they come to the southwest.

• 2 weeks later...

God DAMN. I want that box set!

Superlative album... I haven't actually heard any of the Underworld before this one though, although I did hear that early 1980's 'Doo Doo' track that Karl Hyde did the vox on.

I bought the first two albums ages ago, and honestly, you're not missing much. They didn't really figure out their sound until Dubnobass.

Archived