IGNORED

Fatima Al Qadiri - Asiatisch

Guest Ron Manager

Guest Ron Manager

I had no idea this was even on the cards until I spotted it browsing on Boomkat last night.

BgM8aLRCEAAiui6.jpg

boomkat samples

Sounds excellent. Anyone who hasn't heard her stuff should take a minute and have a listen.

I've heard bits and pieces of this album. I quite love it. Would make a great soundtrack to an ultra-colorful internet generation kung-fu movie.

Still cringing a bit at the essayistic marketing around her work. Yeah, we can see/hear that there's a political layer in there, no need to shove it down our throats to make it seem more important.

From what I've heard, I'm inclined to call the "nothing compares 2 you"-cover and Dragon Tattoo standout tracks, but maybe that's just because they're the most accessible at this early point (they have the most obvious links to western culture so sound most familiar. Plus they're most obviously humorous (well, they are to some extent)).

Guest Ron Manager

Was hoping I'd get it yesterday, but alas not, so it won't be till Tuesday (holiday in UK on Monday)....

There’s a Prince cover on this? Well, I’m in.

EDIT: listening to the Boomkat samples now. Guys, this sounds like the general MIDI soundtrack to ‘Hexen’. Still in.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a listen. Hard to judge from 30 second clips as it sounds as though (from the written description) her work is purportedly pushing boundaries in terms of arrangement and musical influences. I found the MIDI preset sounds (at least they sounded that way to me) to be a bit of a turn-off. Don't want to dismiss her entirely based on this and wouldn't mind hearing an entire track. Recommendations?

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

gave it a quick listen. I don't get it.

description is much better than the actual music

I wasn't that impressed with her EPs when I first heard them. But I gave Desert Strike a couple of listens every now and then, and at some point the whole "style" clicked.

And now that I think about it, it's possible it wasn't even Desert Strike itself that did the trick for me, but more this Music For Your Plants EP (that has an audiovisual aesthetic similar to Al Qadiri's) http://zoologyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/humanity which I loved from the first listen.

I wasn't that impressed with her EPs when I first heard them. But I gave Desert Strike a couple of listens every now and then, and at some point the whole "style" clicked.

And now that I think about it, it's possible it wasn't even Desert Strike itself that did the trick for me, but more this Music For Your Plants EP (that has an audiovisual aesthetic similar to Al Qadiri's) http://zoologyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/humanity which I loved from the first listen.

I love that music for your plants ep, I'm going to have to give this a go.

I love a lot of the musicality in the Hyperdub releases, but man for some reason Kode9 seems to have no problem whatsoever with blatant one-shot sampling library abuse, just recognizable percussion library sounds up the ying yang. I wish I wasn't so fixated on 'sound design' because the music at it's core here is good, but the sounds are just super boring and also very instantly recognizable (and not in a way that sounds cute like Shangaan, but just kinda lazy UK stoner almost like "oh Shackleton is using preset conga samples on those sampling packs? fuck it i'm going to use them too ").

I found the MIDI preset sounds (at least they sounded that way to me) to be a bit of a turn-off.

Glad I'm not alone. This is not an instance where it seems kinda tongue and cheek/wink and nod kinda thing like OPN's new album either ?

kinda have to say wtf to Boomkat's description too, they make it sound so goddam exotic

Guest Ron Manager

Recommendations?

this is my favourite track off Desert Strike:

I found the MIDI preset sounds (at least they sounded that way to me) to be a bit of a turn-off.

Glad I'm not alone. This is not an instance where it seems kinda tongue and cheek/wink and nod kinda thing like OPN's new album either ?

kinda have to say wtf to Boomkat's description too, they make it sound so goddam exotic

Surely it is in fact a little bit tongue-in-cheek? To my ear there's a clear vaporwave-esque aesthetic going on in her music (see above song). I do agree that the description and hype, as usual, is over the top and unnecessary - the wheel clearly hasn't been reinvented, but I like her stuff and this album is pretty good.

Almost like what an Al Qadiri vs The Knife track would sound like.

(Not a great movie though, there are few other scenes with Grace jones being awesome, but other than that it's not much more than a funky bad 80s horror comedy).

• 8 months later...

This is really hitting the spot lately. I feel like Fatima really hit her stride here as far as sequencing and pacing.

Opening track is great; would love to hear more of her take on pop.

Love how she uses these heavy/epic sounds in a very restrained way. And everything is very fluid; parts develop and interlock in a fresh way.

I encourage anybody that was on the fence to revisit Asiatisch.

/2cents

would love to hear more of her take on pop.

You're in luck; she's a member of that new Warp band 'Future Brown' and they are making very poppy sounding stuff judging by what I've heard.

Yeah, listened to the track in that interview posted above, and the track on their artist page on Warp, but I'm not really feeling it. It's a bit too rap heavy for me; would probably like the instrumentals. Thanks for the heads-up though!

I'd love to hear a legit C-pop album/EP from her, but I don't think that'll happen..

Archived