IGNORED

Boris - Noise

Guest jasondonervan

Oh nice, did not realise a new Boris LP was due soon (shows how much I've been keeping up). Cheers for the heads up :beer:

I think the album they did with Sunn O))) (altar) is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. Pure Sonic Art. Man I tell you that album is killer, a perfect blend of leftfield experimentation from The Darkside. I think Pink is brilliant too, but his vocals after a while drag down the killer riffs (and my friend there are indeed many, many killer riffs). I'd love an instrumental version of that album, his droning one dimensional vocals don't do much for me. Still an excellent album.

That's all I know about Boris. That Altar album is another level though...

I think the album they did with Sunn O))) (altar) is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. Pure Sonic Art. Man I tell you that album is killer, a perfect blend of leftfield experimentation from The Darkside. I think Pink is brilliant too, but his vocals after a while drag down the killer riffs (and my friend there are indeed many, many killer riffs). I'd love an instrumental version of that album, his droning one dimensional vocals don't do much for me. Still an excellent album.

There seems to be a bit of singing on this new album that I can't get into. Boris instrumentation def makes up for bad vocals tho. And agreed, altar was a masterpiece

Agreed, Sinking Belle is up there with the best. I was listening to the first track on this new album but really couldn't stand the vocals, so I switched to Altar.

As far as other Boris albums go, I love Sun Baked Snow Cave (collab with Merzbow), Rainbow (with Michio Kurihara), The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked and Amplifier Worship. I also ordered some Boris 7" through Southern Lord Europe recently, but they forgot to include that in the rest of my order and now it's sold out :(

Guest jasondonervan

Saw them back in 2007 in a tiny club when they breezed through here. Incredible live, hairs on the back of your neck stuff - the Flood section was unreal. Dug around and found some photos I took on the night, ahhh so many memories.

iKgTsBfDhfzyN.JPG

iOs2fu4Xa5Ads.JPG

ie9tehfyC1I9J.JPG

ibkTneXi4B6ynD.JPG

ivMhez56AKPuf.JPG

ib0KMT9NvmF2xl.JPG

i8Ml40Goq9A0R.JPG

ibhlfDFdQIHTsC.jpg

Yeah, very much worth seeing live, very fucking worth it. Especially with Michio Kurihara; the sounds he pulled out of his guitar work just added another noisy but cohesive element to the whole experience. When I saw them they closed with Just Abandoned My-Self, and I was quite pleased with how well the sizable (for a small club) audience took the extended 15 minutes of guitar drone, feedback, and general noise that ended it all.

Definitely curious to see what kind of diversity is on display with this album; I felt last year's Präparat had more diversity within a single album than they usually go for, as it tends to be spread across albums a bit more (as epitomized by the trio of releases that was New Album, Attention Please, and Heavy Rocks (purple)).

I saw them summer 08 after Smile came out, it melted my face and my ears felt like they had cotton balls in them after. The second time I saw them they played Flood and damn there were some beautiful things happening there.

Rainbow is one of my favorite albums by them, I love that guitarist, Michio Kurihara

I love them, just ordered the japanese version of that new cd (with bonus cd single included), there are so many good Boris records out there, of course i dont own them all but got of good bunch of them & its a pretty impressive discography. And yeah Altar is a very strong album, perhaps the best one from the doom mafia (speaking of drone, i just received Hex on wax today !).

Archived