IGNORED

Anyone here a Pro Tools user?

Phlexunger

I am a long time user but recently since I have installed it on my laptop I sort of am rediscovering it. It has its short comings and its not as electronic music frienly as logic or live but I really am digging the plugins I have downloaded etc

Anyone else here a pro tools user?

what are your favorite plugins?

I work in Pro Tools almost every day, but I've only made a few tracks in it. I only dabbled in the bundled instrument plug-ins Boom, Vacuum and Xpand2. The snap-to-grid editing is beautiful for cutting up beats or anything with precision. For an example, this track is all done with the above plug-ins (plus a Moogerfooger delay and TL Space I think) and some cutup samples: [sc5]50126601[/sc5]

Edit: Favorite plug-ins are definitely Speakerphone and Altiverb. Speakerphone is pure fun.

very nice track

impressive that you made the boom plugin not sound like boom. Thats my complaint about Avids VST's there not on par with other well known vst's

The beat detective is a very good program I need to start using it more. So what do you use it for everyday if not for making tracks?

very nice track

impressive that you made the boom plugin not sound like boom. Thats my complaint about Avids VST's there not on par with other well known vst's

The beat detective is a very good program I need to start using it more. So what do you use it for everyday if not for making tracks?

I work in audio post-production.

Boom has more flexibility than it seems! Especially with pitching some of the percussions. And I love the boomy kick.

You're right that Avid's plug-ins are probably not as flexible or great sounding compared to other plug-ins, but they're not bad by any means. It depends on what kind of music you want to make I suppose. I don't like most of Xpand2's samples and effects, but there are a few orchestral percs which sound pretty convincing. Vacuum is a pretty flexible and straightforward subtractive synth. And Boom is just a normal, straightforward Roland drum machine rip off and doesn't hide that.

Nice track Para, hard hitting kick..

Superficially used it over a few years in school, multi-tracking/recording the analogue studio gear. I wouldn't have use for it at home with no external gear, hardware, band to record. Isn't the main draw to Pro-tools, the quality of the adc's, dac's..in combination with the software being 'universally' used in many studio's across the world? What does it offer over alternatives, would you say is special about it?

Dunno the price of the different packages atm, but remember doing the administration for a big studio nut with the most pimped out system around 2001'ish (dude bought all the plugins as well) and thinking it was ridiculously expensive. I guess when you're pro, you're able to pay pro prices :)

Also a audio post Pro Tools user. Wouldn't want to use any other program to edit/arrange/mix audio to video. Having said that I wouldn't want to create a music track in it either so who knows. I do occasionally like to mix music in PT, but that's just for a change of scenery; sometimes I find I approach the mix in a different manner, as intangible as that sounds.

I use it professionally as well as passionately for my music. I got to say though my day job is not as pro tools centric as I would like it to be. I think that means I have to get out of broadcast TV audio and more into post audio like you guys.....any insight on that front?

As for Pro Tools for production of music I agree there is no better program to mix and edit on however I do kinda like Adobe Audition. I do not like Logic or Cubase or any of that stuff. I was getting into Ableton Live for my vst fix and just things Pro Tools does not do but the thing with Live is if I don't use it for awhile I forget it and for some reason pro tools is not like that for me. Anyhow I want to start pushing myself to use pro tools efforts to compete with Live and use the VST's use the bluecat plugin that allows you to use any VST in Pro Tools. Now that its on my laptop I find myself using Pro Tools more plus I bought that Komplete audio 6 as an I/O box so I got the Komplete Elements so I am using Kontact and Reactor as far as whats special about it I just think its straight forward and laid out well. I also think that if you have been a long time user of PT its more affordable than starting from scratch. Upgrades are more affordable and now that they made it so you can use any hardware its a lot better

situation.

At the end of the day it's not the gear you use but my goal is to talk to more people who use what I use to share knowledge tips and stuff like that.

Don't be surprised if I post a bunch of "Any fill in the blank gear users" posts

Superficially used it over a few years in school, multi-tracking/recording the analogue studio gear. I wouldn't have use for it at home with no external gear, hardware, band to record. Isn't the main draw to Pro-tools, the quality of the adc's, dac's..in combination with the software being 'universally' used in many studio's across the world? What does it offer over alternatives, would you say is special about it?

Dunno the price of the different packages atm, but remember doing the administration for a big studio nut with the most pimped out system around 2001'ish (dude bought all the plugins as well) and thinking it was ridiculously expensive. I guess when you're pro, you're able to pay pro prices :)

Thanks, Jonas!

ProTools is a lot cheaper now than before since they did away with having to use their hardware. Pro Tools 9 and up, you can use any audio interface including your crappy built-in laptop output. In reality, ProTools is behind technically and with its features, but I wouldn't want to use anything else for mixing and editing just because I know it so well. In post-production, using anything else would cause a couple of headaches if you're working with a team, but it's not a show stopper.

As always, it's not the gear but the user. However, being proficient in Pro Tools will probably help in getting more opportunities as an engineer compared to anything else. That's not necessarily a bad thing since Pro Tools IS a great DAW.

I use it professionally as well as passionately for my music. I got to say though my day job is not as pro tools centric as I would like it to be. I think that means I have to get out of broadcast TV audio and more into post audio like you guys.....any insight on that front?

What is it you do for broadcast if you're not doing audio post?

If you want to get into post-production, the best way is to ask to intern at a post house. Be eager, curious, willing to do and learn anything, make yourself necessary, admit when you don't know something, and you'll probably get some freelance work.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Jonas!

ProTools is a lot cheaper now than before since they did away with having to use their hardware. Pro Tools 9 and up, you can use any audio interface including your crappy built-in laptop output. In reality, ProTools is behind technically and with its features, but I wouldn't want to use anything else for mixing and editing just because I know it so well. In post-production, using anything else would cause a couple of headaches if you're working with a team, but it's not a show stopper.

As always, it's not the gear but the user. However, being proficient in Pro Tools will probably help in getting more opportunities as an engineer compared to anything else. That's not necessarily a bad thing since Pro Tools IS a great DAW.

What is it you do for broadcast if you're not doing audio post?

If you want to get into post-production, the best way is to ask to intern at a post house. Be eager, curious, willing to do and learn anything, make yourself necessary, admit when you don't know something, and you'll probably get some freelance work.

I do live audio board op for CBS news

its not really utilizing my audio skills but its good money

however 5 days a week from 3:30 am to 12 noon is ruining my musical life

I am looking for a new job

I might take a pay cut but my loose plan has been to buy up a bunch of costly gear now

and then if I end up out of work I could at least play with all my toys

Archived