IGNORED

Building new virtual kit

Guest Hanratty

I use Numerology with a Korg NanoKontrol2, so I guess it's enough to have some fun ! ;)

You can use several MIDI controllers at the same time with it, it's really a versatile and flexible piece of software. And damn powerful, deep and fun !

Jim, N3's dev, is always working on improving it. For example, monome devices and iPad support are coming soon. I can't wait to sequence directly from my monomes !

ok, thanks. I kept seeing Numerology paired with a Launchpad when I read about it. But I don't have the cash for both. I have the nanokontrol too.

schlucharski : then use it rewired to another DAW ? That's how I use N3, FWIW.

thanks for pointing it out again, mate, wasn't one of my bright moments to write something like that, because if one can't figure that out, one should not bother making music with daws at all. hopefully its not that bad with me :emb:

haha

a very short description of my set-up (after much experiments) :

- Live 8 hosts plugins

- N3 is rewired to L8

- each N3 stack has its own MIDI channel (outputting notes and CCs)

- to each MIDI channel its live MIDI track

= lot of fun and flexibility

schlucharski : then use it rewired to another DAW ? That's how I use N3, FWIW.

thanks for pointing it out again, mate, wasn't one of my bright moments to write something like that, because if one can't figure that out, one should not bother making music with daws at all. hopefully its not that bad with me :emb:

no it's a good point. It doesn't have that feature! :) It's primarily aimed at people sequencing hardware, which means that a non-realtime bounce is impossible.

LIN: not too far off from me. I build everything in N3, complete with plugins, then record out midi to tracks in Logic via rewire and rebuild the plugin set up there. I find that having this disconnect between the sounds used during arrangement and then during mix down makes it easier to focus on the structure and not sound design in the first phase. Then once everything in just midi in Logic I can do all the stuff that's hard in N3, like fills, and random little tweaks that are hard to build in systemically. Also I then can focus only on the sound, and not the arrangement too much anymore.

That's a little mental thing, but it means I'm a lot more productive oddly enough.

logic is shit though. It's impossible to record midi to multiple tracks in one go... Means I have to run the track as many times as there are tracks... I then figured out that I can crank the bpm up to like 400 though hahaha. logic just blows sometimes. I'm still waiting for bitwig to drop before I decide to buy Logic or not. After 5 years of using it I still think it's a pain in the ass.

I really want to use numerology, but I don't have a mac anymore. I have this iBook I broke for the laptop harddisk, but I need to fix that somehow....

[derail] on the otherhand I really want to get something like this, but it's really too expensive:

thinking of building my own Midibox SEQ after I finish my sammichSID....

beans : I've used Logic 7/8/9 for few years as a rewire host, never succeed to really get into it.

Then switched to Reaper, great DAW once you've spent one week using it.

Then switch to Live when I really got back into N3 : making the most of Live's MIDI features and mapping (especially the ability to set a custom modulation range for plugins parameters) is the closest way I found to do with MIDI CCs what you'd do with ParamMod and CV in N3 standalone.

Bitwig sure is intriguing/promising but I'm eagerly looking forward Live 9 and pray for better CPU performances, better automation system (with bezier curves and true accuracy), and better routing/modulation system for both MIDI and audio (the same way Reaper does, I miss that so much !)

Guest kokeboka

Try out vember audio's surge, and subatomic labs' mantis 307 synths - they're inexpensive and pretty easy to use, and surge is very versatile.

haha well I'm a UI designer and there are just so many little shitty things about Logic that are complicated with no real reason. Tool selection is super clunky, drawing midi notes in the editor is really strange (it automatically draws the length of the previously edited note. why not just let the length be drawn by the pen?) Rewire is awful. You have to make an aux bus to route it in, then set that as the source for an audio track (why not straight into an audio track?). But I'm quite used to it, so ya.

Same reason I don't like NI stuff. Every NI thing I've ever used completely breaks every established UI pattern. They love to invent their own icons and file browsers and other stuff like that. NI interfaces are infuriating with all the tiny little un-fucking-readable icons. I end up having too hover to get a tool tip for like every action. It's just annoying. There is a massive vocabulary of interactions that people are familiar with and to make something completely different is just bad practice. Strangely enough a lot of German software (logic was originally german. Go figure.) makers do the same thing. Like instead of using the standard Cocoa file picker they will design and code their own, which means all the sidebar items and keyboard shortcuts from the OS are broken. Or making the app float in it's own window with no way to resize it (reaktor does this). Dumb.

I tried Reaper for a few days, but it didn't really click as being very intuitive. I would need to really MAKE myself use it for a few weeks intensively if I wanted to give it a proper chance, and i just never had the chance. I'm pretty comfortable in Live though. I should try that for laying out tracks.

I hear you, REAPER has a lot of menus, I have no idea what is going on.. and the feeling that I could probably find what I need if I dig in deeper makes it very slow progress sometimes. But it's a solid daw. If you get some basics of what you want to do, it works for that.. I record stuff in it all the time now.. tried a little MIDI sequencing in it, but still do most of that in more specific programs.

Archived