IGNORED

Where to pick up some records in the LA area?

jlobkob

Hello folks,

i'm in the US for the first time (California, Ventura County), and i suppose some of you know the area around LA pretty good. So what places would you recommend to go? What to do? Where to buy records? I'm here for almost 2 more months so i have plenty of time to do stuff....

thank you for your help :)

thanks!

now that so many people told me to go to amobea, i'll give it a shot. will post results ;)

does anyone know if there are some interesting artists performing in the area in the next two months? i tried googlin' it but everything i came up with was just the same radio-stuff over and over...

also, in-n-out-burgers are GREAT!

If your into metal, Thou/The Body playing this Sunday, I'm going to that.

Might be a little far away but The Bug, Earth, Liz Harris(Grouper) and William Basinski are playing December 11th

http://hollywoodforever.ticketfly.com/event/964063-bug-earth-liz-harris-los-angeles/

oh ya and OPN in November

Hello folks,

i'm in the US for the first time (California, Ventura County), and i suppose some of you know the area around LA pretty good. So what places would you recommend to go? What to do? Where to buy records? I'm here for almost 2 more months so i have plenty of time to do stuff....

thank you for your help :)

amoeba will probably fulfill your record shopping needs but if you're feeling a little more adventurous, check out rockaway records in silverlake , mono records in echo park (great place to pick up rare 45s), freakbeat in sherman oaks and permanent records.

if you like books definitely check out the last bookstore in downtown los angeles. another place i recommend (whilst in downtown) is casey's. it's just a stone's throw away from skid row. if you get home sick, check out wurstküche

any other recommendation will depend a lot on what you enjoy and want to do because los angeles is massive. but if you need to kill a day 2 days and have about $100 burning a hole in your pocket, go to universal studios

You West Coasters have it good with your Amoeba. The best thing I have around here is the Sound Garden in Baltimore, which is three hours away and has two small rooms of vinyl. My only option is importing records from other states, or even other countries.

No one has mentioned Mount Analog yet! I just ordered a few tapes from their online shop. The had an exclusive Alessandro Cortini live cassette I wanted so I grabbed that and a few others to justify shipping and the selection of tapes online was great, so I imagine the shop is good too.

I'm in Los Angeles for 2 days this week but I have no time to check this place out in person so you have to go and report back on it for me.

As far as food goes...I am hitting up Animal, Ink, Ink.Sack, and Eggslut. I'll let you know how those go.

No one has mentioned Mount Analog yet! I just ordered a few tapes from their online shop. The had an exclusive Alessandro Cortini live cassette I wanted so I grabbed that and a few others to justify shipping and the selection of tapes online was great, so I imagine the shop is good too.

I'm in Los Angeles for 2 days this week but I have no time to check this place out in person so you have to go and report back on it for me.

As far as food goes...I am hitting up Animal, Ink, Ink.Sack, and Eggslut. I'll let you know how those go.

FOOD UPDATE: Ink.Sack has delicious sandwiches that are like $8. I had the Bahn Mi and the Cold Fried Chicken, I could've eaten two more they were so good.

Animal was overpriced, but where else can you eat calf brain? Fried Rabbit Legs were good, as was Mongolian Sweetbread. It's decent spot for one dish and then off to fill up somewhere else though.

Ink is the absolute best. Though LA has much to offer if restaurants are your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately only had time for Ink.Sack...but those sandwiches were the best thing I ate the whole trip, easily.

No one has mentioned Mount Analog yet!

yeah, that's great store, but unless op is into finders keepers or noise, folk/psych soundtracks, there's not much reason to make the pilgrimage to highland park. i actually was there 2 weeks ago to pick up some cassettes direct from mahassa when they were having the halloween sale

No one has mentioned Mount Analog yet!

yeah, that's great store, but unless op is into finders keepers or noise, folk/psych soundtracks, there's not much reason to make the pilgrimage to highland park. i actually was there 2 weeks ago to pick up some cassettes direct from mahassa when they were having the halloween sale

I didn't know it was so niche. I have a Alessandro Cortini cassette along with a Huerco S tape and a Babe Rainbow tape on the way...I wouldn't venture out there for noise, etc. either though.

i finally had the time to visit amoeba today, and what should i say....what a great place to dig for records!

i spent several hours there and would have picked up countless records if i could afford it.

however, this is what i bought:

Der Zyklus - Biometry LP

Dopplereffekt / Objekt - Hypnagogia LP

DMX Krew - We Are DMX CD

Seefeel - Pure, Impure CD

Seefeel - Quique CD

µ-Ziq - Brace Yourself CD

µ-Ziq - Tango N' Vectif CD

Squarepusher - Music Is Rotted One Note CD

808 State - Utd. State 90 CD

Autechre - Peel Session CD

i paid 85$ in total and im very happy with that. thank you for the recommendations!

Archived