IGNORED

Antonin Scalia is Dead

doublename

p-values killed Scalia.

^ Not trying to derail the thread (and I'm sure there are big juicy kernels of truth in the linked story), but the rise of these "news sites" that are nothing more than propaganda aggregators telling people what they want to hear is disturbing. Seriously, "U.S. Uncut?" wtf. Not a single bit about its management/ownership/backing to be found, hmmm. Pretty sure News Corp owns a ton of these puppet sites to lob hit pieces and other conservative bullshit to further their agenda, which in turn get payola'd on to yahoo and other cesspools of the interwebz under the pretense of legitimate news. Not that "legitimate" news sites are much better at delivering unbiased information but still

this stuff eventually finds its way onto fb and pollutes the newsfeed of the un-web savvy and the undeveloped in the critical thinking department. it annoys the fuck out of me. my mum's feed is full of garbage for instance, and she has reposted some of this garbage on her own page. anti-vaccine shit, Israel hysteria, various myths of other sorts. I've threatened on multiple occasions to delete her account if she doesn't wise up.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Astrophysics and all of the sciences are literally based on reproducible results

astrophysics is not for the most part based on reproducible results, it's computer models, this is where it falls down, bullshit in/bullshit out. Plasma physics on the other hand, is. Check out the link in my updated post. The EU model of the universe has been predicting things for a while now that headlines proclaim when found as 'impossible'. Comets not being snowballs for one, i had a good chuckle at that one. EU is an wholly different model for how the universe works, and it's grounded in experimentation and forces we already know and understand and it's body of work is growing all the time, doesn't need arcane fudgery to make it work. Join in the fun if you're intrested.

Astrophysics and all of the sciences are literally based on reproducible results

astrophysics is not for the most part based on reproducible results, it's computer models, this is where it falls down, bullshit in/bullshit out. Plasma physics on the other hand, is. Check out the link in my updated post. The EU model of the universe has been predicting things for a while now that headlines proclaim when found as 'impossible'. Comets not being snowballs for one, i had a good chuckle at that one. EU is an wholly different model for how the universe works, and it's grounded in experimentation and forces we already know and understand and it's body of work is growing all the time, doesn't need arcane fudgery to make it work. Join in the fun if you're intrested.

Nope. Science makes a very important distinction between what they expect to happen based on hundreds of thousands of hours of models/predictions (e.g. gravitational waves until a week ago) and actual real world tests (after a week ago, ya know, now). The example in question is destroying everything you're trying to say.

sent using magic space waves

Nope. Science makes a very important distinction between what they expect to happen based on hundreds of thousands of hours of models/predictions (e.g. gravitational waves until a week ago) and actual real world tests (after a week ago, ya know, now). The example in question is destroying everything you're trying to say.

sent using magic space waves

I just gave you an example of medical science getting it very wrong and how that happening is a symptom of the human condition, how much damage it did and then explained how astrophysics is much harder to shift than something as mainstream as medical science, which still got it wrong and yet you bother to post this muck, seriously dude, this is why you asked me the question in the first place and why you define what i was talking about. No offence, most minds are like this, you can't help it, but it does explain why for the most part i don't bother rationalizing my statements online. People that are withit will prick their ears up, people that aren't will maybe think i'm a prick. What can you do, /shrugs shoulders.

/taek kair.

1) The 'fat is evil' hysteria was indeed based on an old, solitary study. And whoever had the idea to base public health policy on a single fucking study (poorly-controlled or not) is a fucking idiot. ("Beware the man of one study," as the saying goes.)

Yes, we were all given bad advice. That is squarely the fault of a few dummies, not "medical science." Like, all the world's scientists didn't hold a press conference and confidently proclaim that fat is bad for you.

If there's one thing the recent Replication Crisis* taught us, it's that you need replication to get robust findings.

*p-values, yo

2) so, you think the Higgs Boson doesn't exist because "science" was wrong about fat? That is nearly identical to the classic Creationist argument: "science was wrong about X, therefore the universe isn't billions of years old."

3) and then you give us the "you're all sheeple, you can't help it, most minds are like this" speech? Holy fucking shit.

You gave one example of a mistake. Science is full of mistakes, we could list thousands...if you think that makes your case you are very mistaken. And check your condescension dude.

Edit: this was directed at delet... of course.

sent from a tippytappy flatpad

The problem with changing orthodoxies in astro physics is that the field is not grounded like the medical one so more immune to criticism and change, it's insular and very egotistical, it's adherents are treated like modern day wizards of the mind and noone for the most part, understands their prosaic prevarication in the form of astronomical models fuelled by dense mathematics, which insulates them from criticism. But criticized they must be, they are wrong, very wrong.

lol so I just watched clicked this video and literally scrolled to a random spot in it (it's over an hour, so I wanted a vague idea of what I would be getting in to...) and this is what I see first. "He matches rock art forms precisely to the configurations taken by electric discharge in the laboratory." This Peratt that your Thunderbolts group references is stating that rock art of the human form is actually plasma discharge formation. If you've not watched the video at the point I linked he's suggesting that these humans back then were not representing the human form but instead were recording the form of radiation that could only be seen in that shape (which btw is really not even close to the human form) at atomic scales. In other words, it's hokum ancient aliens style shit.

I was following Mistabishi (musician) on Facebook and he started posting some 'gravitational waves are made up' shit last week after the announcement and like forcefully berating anyone who thought otherwise. Needless to say I don't follow him anymore. That's some RDJ level conspiratorial belief bullshit. Just, why would scientists wait decades after they were first suggested to be discovered to try and cash in on that thing in particular? Makes no sense.

sent from a tippytappy flatpad

makes plenty of sense. Eventually when everyone else is on board with it then you'll have to question your own worldview, until then, well i guess you'll have to keep being frustrated by these outlier people that see things before everyone else. A good analogy is that our society and the whole medical profession managed for decades to demonize fats and anyone that suggested otherwise, and it was all initially based on one study from the late sixties and later an influential book by the idea's main proponent. Then it was off and running, with other scientists jumping on the bandwagon, producing work that was also as shaky to back up the claim. Through that an whole industry and way of treating patients built up, with most medical professionals assuming that the system that provided them with knowledge couldn't fault them, could it. And so, money for alternative concepts was squeezed off and those making counter claims marginalized or worse shunned, dooming countless heart patients to an early grave on their statins and their low fat diets and driving the obesity epidemic we now are left with. Now there is another polar shift, within the space of the last ten years we are seeing a giant rethink and they are realising that it's sugar, specifically fructose, and refined carbohydrates that are the main enemy, something that they have had data on the books to suggest, for the whole time that they went in the wrong direction.

So to anyone that follows a popular orthodoxy and uses that as their only justification for holding a position, you need to reassess your attachment to this state of mind. If it wasn't for the outliers, those able to see a bigger picture and take on board a variety of ways of thinking, we'd still be sacrificing virgins to Mars or something equally distasteful.

The problem with changing orthodoxies in astro physics is that the field is not grounded like the medical one so more immune to criticism and change, it's insular and very egotistical, it's adherents are treated like modern day wizards of the mind and noone for the most part, understands their prosaic prevarication in the form of astronomical models fuelled by dense mathematics, which insulates them from criticism. But criticized they must be, they are wrong, very wrong.

Actually, I don't think that's a good analogy at all. As the driving force behind the "fat is bad" science was the "sugary food is profitable" industry and not the scientific community. And I don't see any industry pushing the "we have discovered gravitational waves" science. Unless Elon Musk was somehow involved. It's a well known phenomenon thats called "conflict of interests" thats clearly a bigger factor in the medical sciences, as opposed to physics.

Sorry, I should've been clearerer - it's a lefty site obviously, just meant to point out the existence of these propaganda thingies catering to both sides of the aisle and how it's never been easier to get "news" one wants to hear / filtered to support one's worldview, and how hard it is to get actual objective news information these days. Maybe it's just how I roll, but regardless of political orientation if a site/source isn't forthcoming about what it is and who owns/operates it then I instantly written off as interest driven bullshit.

For example quite often I see cerious-looking "news" on Yahoo originating from this site, which one can only assume (based on fundamentally sound looks-like-shit/smells-like-shit principles) is a newscorp-backed entity under corporate veil.

this stuff eventually finds its way onto fb and pollutes the newsfeed of the un-web savvy and the undeveloped in the critical thinking department. it annoys the fuck out of me. my mum's feed is full of garbage for instance, and she has reposted some of this garbage on her own page. anti-vaccine shit, Israel hysteria, various myths of other sorts. I've threatened on multiple occasions to delete her account if she doesn't wise up.

Totes brah, this by far is one of the most insidious fronts in the propaganda campaigns for the hearts and minds votes of our nations most naive. Whatever batshit insane worldviews ppl already have or are open to, there are virtually unlimited sources of pure swill out there that are more than happy to keep feeding (and feeding off) them.

To paraphrase an old line (George Carlin IIRC?), I'll sometimes think how dumb the average American is, and then realize that half the population is as dumb or dumber than that person.

Archived