IGNORED

WWDC 16

starts tonight, keynote @ 10am Pacific, 7pm middle european time

am always a bit stoked because I mostly live from that stuff, but tbh all I want is a new Macbook Pro which will probably not be announced here.

dark-mode for iOS would be welcome if that comes out, don't care about siri at all.

what's watmm's predicshuns?

I can't decide whether I'm going to like the OLED function keys they're predicting for the MBP, though yeah, that's probably later in the year. I need a new laptop ASAP but I don't want to jump the gun.

I don't have any horses in the iOS or Siri races.

yeh who knows how the display strip will look like (if it's true)... personally don't think I'll need this, I mean what kind of indispensable improvement will it bring? if it does provide really nicely context-sensitive extra info/controls, it may be nice to have, yeh... but don't care about it... just hope they don't switch all the connectors to USB-C....

feel ya on the urgent need for a new laptop... I'm on a 2011 Macbook Air with 2GB of RAM & 64GB SSD, bought this as an emergency replacement when my old MBP broke down... it's holding up surprisingly well, but when Xcode fills up the RAM I'll see a beachball for 20 minutes and can't do anything..... and yeah buying one of the current MBPs would be a mistake, or maybe it wouldn't, if the new models come out later this year, HHNNNNNNNGGHF

lol yeah Apple doesn't seem to care much about computers anymore, mostly because they have little competition. Really, both sides of the PC game are basically stagnant the last 5+ years, and it's quite sad. Not sure when we're going to advance beyond this little plateau with PCs.

Today's pcs probably offer more than most people need as it is. I don't know if consumer machines have anywhere to go for people who just want media consumption, gaming and spreadsheets.

Maybe so, but it seems even those basic computers are hovering at their same price points or in fact increasing in price across the board. Just not seeing anything interesting happening is basically why I'm whining. :)

I was hoping they would put some bigger SSDs in their computers. Instead they announced that you can offload your files to iCloud when you inevitably run out of space on your small soldered drive.

And I thought they were going to revamp the App Store across the board... What happened to that?

It's kind of sad that they treat incremental updates to the music app as major features of the new OS. I wish they would just push individual updates to the stock apps like Google does.

It's kind of sad that they treat incremental updates to the music app as major features of the new OS. I wish they would just push individual updates to the stock apps like Google does.

I came here to post the same. the Apple Music update was the only thing i was looking forward to and now its happening in "the fall". App has been around for a year already ugh

starts tonight, keynote @ 10am Pacific, 7pm middle european time

am always a bit stoked because I mostly live from that stuff, but tbh all I want is a new Macbook Pro which will probably not be announced here.

dark-mode for iOS would be welcome if that comes out, don't care about siri at all.

what's watmm's predicshuns?

Dark Mode? You need f.lux. It's free and wonderful. Don't bother waiting for Apple.

https://justgetflux.com

sorry, meant dark-colored UI throughout.. grey or black instead of white..

well well, there's of course a ton of stuff in the frameworks for macOS/iOS which wasn't in the keynote... sifting through it, the most interesting thing I found so far is built-in support for neural-networks on iOS.. might be fun! Wanted to play around with this stuff anyway, most people seem to focus on image-based things, haven't seen much in the realm of sonic exploration yet...

"iOS 10 enables users to remove the following built-in apps from the Home screen on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

Calendar

Compass

Contacts

FaceTime

Find My Friends

Home

iBooks

iCloud Drive

iTunes Store

Mail

Maps

Music

News

Notes

Podcasts

Reminders

Stocks

Tips

Videos

Voice Memos

Watch app

Weather

Game Center has been removed"

Apple - all about removing the dumb shit no one wanted in the first place.

on the upside, a new modern file system for everyone

Yeah, just seeing that on Ars. Can't believe that wasn't mentioned at all in the keynote...like, I understand maybe not focusing on it, but mention it? At least? It's a room full of fucking devs, I think they could deal with 60 seconds outlining 'hey, this is happening too, read up on it later...' but Apple is too Apple for doing things that make sense half the time.

yeh the keynote is mostly for press/blogs/public, everyone is all over that so they keep it simple...

they went into more devy-stuff in the "platforms state of the Union" presentation which was also streamed..

a recording should emerge at some point, probably easiest via the WWDC app

Archived