IGNORED

Castlevania - Original NES Game Soundtrack (180g 10" Vinyl)

Rubin Farr

Naw... Dracula X was the best:

nope sounds like bad anime music

fucking NES bwoon dub groove

castlevania 3/akumajou densetsu is my favorite cv game and this is still the dumbest post i have ever read. dracula x' soundtrack is incredible, as most cv games up until and including sotn.

on the thread's topic, in my opinion (relax, it's just my opinion) i see no use at all in pressing this type of music onto vinyl. i absolutely adore old videogame music but i would never listen to it on vinyl. even the streets of rage 2 soundtrack is pretty silly to press up.

speaking of famicom music, even though cv3 probably has my favorite expansion audio soundtrack, mr. gimmick's famicom cart is amazing as well, super rich (different chip obviously, by sunsoft). check out lagrange point as well, a konami game that uses the successor to the vrc6, evne has fm channels which is pretty mental for a non-disk system famicom game.

Naw... Dracula X was the best:

nope sounds like bad anime music

hey now. remember what game you're talking about here ... 

http://i.imgur.com/ZOo6fIB.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/ZOo6fIB.gif

I just think the midi/actual sampled instruments make it sound cheesy and 8-bit lends a dark more immediate quality to the music?

not commenting on the compositions themselves, to elaborate

we need to set up a bootleg business of recording these songs direct from the consoles (maybe doing it channel by channel and EQing / compressing to get it sounding as fat and chunky and punchy as possible ) and press it onto vinyl without anyone realising and only make enough copies for the true nerds to appreciate. 

i mean .. sort of like what they did with the street fighter 2 soundtrack but for every game with a kickass soundtrack and definitely not with adding reverb. 

Every game soundtrack ever created is out on the web already - if you know where to go.

2 (simon's quest) is one of my fave cvanias/nes games period. i'm really surprised at how much people dislike it =\

Same here.

Same. 

Also, glad to see Castlevania soundtracks on vinyl, but I agree that 2 or 3 would have been better. Perhaps they'll bring those around later? Also, that cover are is shit and inappropriate. There is probably a licensing issue with using the NES/Famicom cover art, but seriously, that Dracula looks nothing like the original sprite, nor is that anime Belmont correct. I'm all for taking artistic license, but no one will get that it's the cover art for a "Castlevania" game soundtrack unless you told them. 

Iox6v7t.gifIox6v7t.gif

Fuck yeah! 

Man, the shit these guys squeezed out of that little machine still blows my mind to this day. 

Guest bitroast

we need to set up a bootleg business of recording these songs direct from the consoles (maybe doing it channel by channel and EQing / compressing to get it sounding as fat and chunky and punchy as possible ) and press it onto vinyl without anyone realising and only make enough copies for the true nerds to appreciate. 

i mean .. sort of like what they did with the street fighter 2 soundtrack but for every game with a kickass soundtrack and definitely not with adding reverb. 

Every game soundtrack ever created is out on the web already - if you know where to go.

oh totally. i have a pretty stupid collection of mp3s already on my computer .. plus youtube of course has multiple pretty much everythings you could possibly ask for. 

but again, like my nitpick with this release in particular, is never knowing how the material was recorded. the discrepancys in quality can be pretty unreliable. especially when you're talking like .. websites that have 'every game soundtrack ever created'.. you can only assume there will be rips of soundtracks of an emulator and not the original sound chips. 

unless your "if you know where to go" is referring to some haven of properly recorded soundtracks all totally reliable in quality and from the original sound chips.. in which case .. i do not know where to go. 

does any of this make a difference to the overall enjoyment for the listener ???

i mean, not really. that depends 100% on the listener.

i'm mostly okay with listening to shitty rips .. but will always seek to get a better quality version if available. in which case... why would i spend money on a vinyl of a game soundtrack if the soundtrack isn't meeting my personal expectations. 

also, re: noise "i see no use at all in pressing this type of music onto vinyl". i mean. you're right, there is no use. it's just an opportunity to have a nice little physical piece of 'something' to sit nicely in your collection. (be it music collection or gaming collection). more than anything, i'm into the idea not so much because i plan on buying the physicals .. but because an official release should = properly recorded, good quality. 

if only everyone did it properly and released something of quality ala street fighter 2 soundtrack, i'd be happy. 

otherwise, i'm gonna post on an internet forum in detail explaining why i think it's dumb and not worth wasting money on :^)

http://store.bravewave.net/album/street-fighter-ii-the-definitive-soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFxADC0o8Ds

ugh ^ apologies for wall of text.

i am seemingly more passionate about preserving and listening to game soundtracks than i'd probably ever like to admit. 

Archived