IGNORED

Revenge of Weekend at LimpyLoo's 2: Boogaloo's Revenge

LimpyLoo

how to (dis)solve a currently-Unfriendly Stranger

prelude

If you'll allow, I'd like to humbly offer some more 'cross-discipline alchemy', in the form of two (old/new, abstract/concrete) strategies when dealing with an (angry and sadistic) Unfriendly Stranger:

one Friendly, and one ('smash in case of emergency') Unfriendly.

(p.s. if you'd like to [search + replace] "Unfriendly Stranger" with [e.g.] "Fascist", "Neo-Nazi", "pissy neighbor", "Unfriendly AI-in-a-Box (...?)", "monster who just kidnapped me or a loved one or anyone else", "authoritarian goon", "moody barista"...well who is gonna stop you?***...)

***i mean, except for...

a) one (possible) Friendly strategy

did anybody see Midnight Express? (I friggin' love that movie)

okay so, quick aside...

our boy Frege had an insanely-useful idea:

TL;DR = if you just keep staring at the 'data set' long enough, the answer is always, always hidden in there, somewhere...

[but (of course) he offered this idea in the language of 'modal logic', so it sometimes gets lost in translation...]

so back to Midnight Express...

well, let's see if we can't smash Frege into Midnight Express to maybe spot our hero's 'crossroads' strategy misstep and generate a better strategy:

did anyone spot the misstep? (it looks kinda like a giant 'babel monster' has pulled the 'veil of maya' over the eyes of everyone involved, no?)

b) has anyone every seen either a police interrogation?

or a hostage negotiation?

So both of those strategies are based on one very dirty, very Unfriendly trick, borrowed straight from the empirical literature of (e.g. social) psychology:

If you and I are talking,

And I am convinced that you are exactly like me,

And therefor 'on my side' in this whole mess:

Well dude, I don't get to talk sincerely about my inner life much with other people, so here goes...

And as it turns out:

the more hubristic and (thus) lonely I am inside,

The more eager I am to open up to you,

And thus the weaker my Persona 'shield'

...but there is one major flaw in this Unfriendly strategy:

in Barton Fink,

John Turturro only got away with it once ,

Why?

Well, because (as you already know) he had a 'fatal credibility gap'

cheers,

-b

P.S. Maybe we should be designing an AI with human-like Hubris Susceptibility built into it...

[end of 1/2]

(next time: Jungian Archetypes meet Chaos Theory, Actual Practical Real-World Implementation, and the Many Obstacles along the Way)

Oops, I overlooked a rather crucial 'hidden hypothesis/assumption':

Why do less-than-Friendly (e.g.) politicians always seem to get away with causing the world a huge fucking Bad Time?

Hypothesis:

because their true intentions always remain implicit, and hidden from the public, no?

So how about the hidden True Intention:

Anyone/Anything that ever disagrees with me (e.g. Media, Journalism, Democracy, Joy, Love, Humanity, the Entire Universe and Everything In It) deserves a Boot pressed against Its Throat.

limpy, are you ok?

i'm honestly concerned about your posting behaviour. looks erratic to me. hope im not too frank...

I don't think you're trying to hurt me, no.

I'm just trying to get us all on the 'same page'

ok.

not sure what that means. but i think i consider this as dumping your thoughts in a thread like a soundcloud dump for people to enjoy. regardless of the page they're at.

i wouldnt waste too much time with getting "us all" on some specific page. its a free world. people can be on whatever page they want to. and they will be regardless. you cant control these things. and i'd argue thats a good thing.

ok.

not sure what that means. but i think i consider this as dumping your thoughts in a thread like a soundcloud dump for people to enjoy. regardless of the page they're at.

i wouldnt waste too much time with getting "us all" on some specific page. its a free world. people can be on whatever page they want to. and they will be regardless. you cant control these things. and i'd argue thats a good thing.

We can certainly try to get everyone on the 'same page.'

Should we really not try?

(Because that sounds like a bummer for everyone involved, yo.)

Maybe it could be an even freer world than...whatever is happening right now.

Does watmm really need another deranged incomprehensibly cryptic Limpy thread? I thought you already had your own.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5X met Tapatalk

Should I not speak freely?

I thought this was a 'free world' of some sort?

I am not trying to cause anyone harm, although I guess I've been extremely hurtful and insincere in the past, so my credibility is rather shot, yeah?

Speak coherently preferably.

Is that comment meant to guide me or hurt me?

Speak coherently preferably.

Is that comment meant to guide me or hurt me?
(Or some monstrous combination of the two?)

Being hurt by words on the internet is on the receivers end. I just have absolutely NO clue what you are blathering about in here, and I'm considering locking the thread.

Okay, but I think using insincerity to try to cause harm is on the sender's end.

(That's the reason I started this thread, in fact...I'm trying to become a better person because my shitty goal used to be: using insincerity to try to cause harm to those I was talking to)

Archived