IGNORED

Australian electronic/experimental/alt artists

Polytrix

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Qua put on some great shows while I was in Melbourne. There were also a series of experimental music event put on by Maximum Arousal and a really cool festival called What is Music? This was all between 2006-2008 though. The experimental melbourne blog seems to be active still and should point you to some great shows.

These are all Melbourne bands, but most of them have releases that would be available in Sydney as well.

Chrome Dome

One of the first local synthpunk bands I heard of. Sadly their vocalist killed himself a few years back, but the other members are still active in other projects (including one with me in a duo called Italianz)

NUN

Vacuum (Andrea from Chrome Dome and Jenny from NUN)

Habits (one of my favourites)

The Night Terrors

Amazing synthy krauty band led by Miles Brown, who makes a theremin sound like a voice

Miles Brown

More synthpop/italo styled music than his work in The Night Terrors

Repairs

Noisy as fuck synthpunk

Forces

Ex-Melbourne, relocated to Berlin a couple of years ago lol. Total 80s/90s style goth EBM stuff, another favourite of mine. I think their first EP is still pretty widely available on vinyl if that's your thing.

ZOND

More noisy stuff, maybe a bit Swans-ish? Another favourite, very intense live.

Fabio Umberto

I doubt he actually has any releases, but check this guy out if you like ridiculous italo disco stuff lol, he basically just dances to pre-recorded tracks and occasionally sings

There's probably a ton I've forgotten to mention so I may come back to this thread..

I have no idea if he still plays out, but there's a bunch of great music from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PA_49DGLBU

It's kind of weird to notice his name pop up in various production credits on tv (Venture Bros. et al).

yeh toecutter is a f ledgen, & did move up nthrn nsw hills way 2 focus on his family, & off the grid farm.

has shooge jbl spkrs on his property lol went 2 a party there phew years bak but he'd a migraine & so apologised 2 his guests gracefully, then retired early 2 leave us listening 2 quiet choonz, sketching n' eating cake & shrooms under milky way galaxy.

not so long ago he gave us a printed b&w flyer 2 a breakcorey lookin' gig in nimbin but - the day b4 actual gig so - errgkgh, lucked out & couldn't make it coz had prior commitments fml.

good record store in melbourne

Ah yeah wax museum is great, are they under threat of being evicted due to the new train station work though? I know sticky institute is fighting that.. hope they all get to stay, I love that little arcade.

My most visited Melbourne record stores for IDM/experimental are Round&Round in Brunswick and Licorice Pie in Prahran. The guy at Round&Round really knows his shit, he's started a conversation about pretty much everything I've bought there. Having said all this though, I don't really buy records anymore, and am considering selling off most of my collection.. ever since getting a chromecast in the loungeroom I've become a bit lazy and prefer just streaming stuff off spotify lol

• 2 months later...

Excellent! You planning to meet up with anyone? If I'd had the time/funds (ie. not saving my leave/money for an overseas trip) I would have planned to come up for a couple of days.

That's kind Modey thanks dude.

At this stage I've woken up at 6am to the sound of sea gulls and I think I'm over the jet lag and slog of the flights.

I'm quite an avid swimmer back in Uk so I'm headed for water and trying to get my bearings. I'm in Manly.

Also, Sydney peeps in the know, if you could choose 1/2 record stores to visit in what I think is the city centre (cbd) which ones would you target for cool electronic Australian (at best Sydney) stuff. I think I'm headed in tomorrow so would be good to plan it as it's fecking hot too!

Will be based out of Manley until the 27th when we head back. Cool, I'll keep Tuesday in mind then. I'll give you a shout when I'm free, my sister is serving as the tour guide at this stage so we've got plans and stuff in place already. I'll deffo try and give you a shout though. Yeah I'm loving the hot weather but it ruins you after a day of swimming and walking from beach to beach. Will hopefully try and pull off visiting those record stores tomorrow.

Also final request for info, where can I get a one time use (well until 27th April) anyway, SIM card for my phone so I can access 3/4G in Sydney on local networks at local rates? I literally only really need the data to use Googlemaps and get around easily using public transport etc

RedEye Records was by far my favourite. Bought two early Severed Heads records. Did find a Dj store with good Aus techno in Surrey Hills but didn't really like much of what I found...annoyingly couldn't locate the Legowelt 12 they apparently had in stock too

Thanks again for all your help people.

Mesh I don't think tomorrow will work for me as we are having a family day but I'll get back to you man. Loving Sydney.

That DJ store in slurry hills is awesome. Been around for many years. I found Cro Magnox 3xLP there a few years ago for $20 :O

a friend of mine in australia makes some wild lsdj chiptune/breakcore under the name aquellex

https://soundcloud.com/aquellex/lr35902-tachyon-beam-cannon

Aquellex is fkn nuts. We played a festival together earlier this year and he vomited onstage during his set

Yeah it had a really good selection but was quite a walk to get there!

I'm not sure where to dig next but I was contemplating going to Newtown as the dude at RedEye said I'd find some great stuff there - not sure which record store specifically though.

The severed heads stuff is brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived