IGNORED

Help me buy my first real hardware sampler please!

Polytrix

So I was looking at drum machines and they seem to not really do what I need. I want something very standalone not reliant on custom vsts/midi based. So I looked at the akai mpcs and they are either really expensive, I want to spend max £200, or really reliant on midi again; hence thinking I need a sampler!

And then I watched this: 

And I'd say that main sampler he's using is exactly what I'm after, I don't know what it is tho.

I basically want to just be able to send my own custom samples onto an internal memory on this thing and then trigger and mainpulate as you would in Ableton Sampler. So it's standalone and I'd simply record in to Ableton, like it's an external synth or something.

Any ideas?

I was about to suggest the Korg Electribe ESX since I bought mine back in 2003 for $300, but it looks like they go for even more than that now. Who would pay $500 for a vintage sampler that doesn't even use USB? Sheesh.

However, the Electribe ES1 is about $150 on Reverb right now. It's a fairly basic sampler/sequencer, but does everything you would want. I kind of want to get one just for the "time" knob.

Yamaha A series samplers are awesome though I think they got some press recently which might have inflated prices a bit.

I had the 5000 and it had beautiful effects and some nice modulation but the UI was hot garbage. Only thing worse was the Alesis Micron. Even the TX81Z is better.

i had a 2500, 1000 and 500

500 was my least favourite

MPC buttons wear out fast if u use them a lot  

Ace machines though

I'd recommend zoom sampletrak...so basic....so awesome

Also electribes are pretty tight

roland 303 or 404 is shitty sequencer but sick effects...used to sample through that to the mpc

I know its not what u want but renoise is basically the best sampler ever and has close enough a workflow to feel like a hardware sampler sequencer

Wasn't someone in EKT selling a cheap mpc a few weeks ago?

Yeah it was me haha. It's still for sale. Poly if you're interested I'll PM you with the details!

I got myself an Electribe ES2 and I'm not really getting into it so far. It's not very intuitive and it quantises everything you play into it. Loading it with samples is a bit of a ballache too.

What's the MPC 500 like - anyone got/had both who can offer a preference on the two?

Thanks a lot for help.

Really excited, this will be my first piece of proper external gear and i think it will change a lot for me. Lots of options for me to weigh up here now.

I was annoyed last night as i wanted a glitzy youtube video explaining/reviewing the mpc 500 but couldn't find one. Too old?

So again to reiterate what would be ideal:

Standalone sampler with built in memory of a decent size/easy upload from an sd card via a simple slot.

Nice fat responsive velocity sensitive pads that look and feel great

On board fx and essentially all the sample edit properties you find in Ableton clip view or in an ableton simpler/sampler via dedicated knobs.

Simple as fuck to use. Like switch on and bash away.

Able to make whole tunes exclusively from this box with Ableton just there to track recording/fuck with audio after the fact.

Usb powered but not reliant on midi via that but able to do all this anyway if i want to. Like receive and send midi data too but not a glorified midi trigger system.

Enough audio outs making it easy to record samples seperately so i can then do multitrack recordings in ableton easily. I suppose this isnt too bad if you can just mute parts though and then lay stuff out after that.

Preferably max £200.

Battery powered even better

Sturdy and solid - never breaks.

Relatively small/portable but still solid enough to be a convincig piece of solid desktop studio gear.

Something esoteric/unqiue about how it processes the sound/naturally distorts etc

Some built in samples but ill be using my own

Archived