IGNORED

Small & Affordable Mixer/Interface Recommendations

J3FF3R00

Hey peeps!
Up until now, I've been using my Zoom H4N as an audio interface with logic for multi-tracking, usually just for a single instrument. The preamp is surprisingly good and it takes up next to zero desk space.

The problem is (besides being limited with the number of inputs I have) that I notice when I have both 1/4" inputs in use, there is a little hum that isn't there when using just a single input.

I'm looking to expand my operation to about 8 inputs, max and would like to keep it small but with actual faders, as opposed to knobs.

So far, this one seems to be a contender but I figured I'd ask y'all to see if you have any others you like....

ProFX8v2-large.jpg

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie/ProFX8v2-8-Channel-Professional-FX-Mixer-with-USB.gc

There's a new generation of Focusrite Scarlett interfaces out which means the Gen1 and Gen2 models will probably be available at a decent price second hand. I'd personally go for Gen2 if you can. I bought one a couple months back for 200$ instead of the 400-500 retail price which is a fantastic price for that many inputs. 

Edit: Didn't say which one I got, I have an 18i20 because I've been building a rack the last year. The smaller models have enough inputs for you too though, so look into that if you want a smaller desk version ?

I've got a Mackie mix8, the smaller less flash version of that one. Built like a horse, metal frame and decent knobs to twiddle for a good price.

The aux  send loop is well handy, I usually stick a reverb or my granulator pedal in there, then you can assign a % of each channel to it. Nifty.

I have a terrible cheap 8 channel Behringer thing that I make feedback loops in. My hearing is pretty bad so I can't tell you if it is any good.

Oh god I had a 3 channel behringer dj mixer and it was awful, cheap plastic and the cross fader was weak, felt like it was going to fall apart every time I used it. The volume faders were crackly at high levels too.

Honestly the Mackie products feel light years ahead

• 1 month later...

I bought a mixer / USB sound card hybrid (Soundcraft). Turns out I don't use the mixer part of it at all. Would've been better off to just get an audio interface with lots of inputs (and outputs, to make sends happen). Mixers take up a lot of space.

Reading the comments for this thing, the first thing that pops out is this: "Only problem is it only supports 2 lines at a time, meaning you can only record, say, a guitar by Mic and DI, or vocals with a guitar and still have the different tracks separate in your software."

Meaning: as an audio interface, it's not actually very good. It doesn't offer anything over a regular two input audio interface + a regular mixer - assuming you still have a regular mixer laying around.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and the other thing to consider: if you could manage to save up around 180 quid more, you can actually buy the Soundcraft that I have. It's huge - but unlike the Behringer it *does* allow you to record 12 (actually 14) channels separately into your DAW. Seems to me to be much better bang for your buck: https://www.thomann.de/gb/soundcraft_signature_12mtk.htm

Focusrite is good. If I had the money, there are many purchases I would make before upgrading my pro40 to something else. If I was going to get a new sound card, however, I would likely get an rme babyface on the low end, or a fireface on the high end. Don’t think I would mess around with apollo stuff because the plugin bonus would be wasted on me.

Archived