Paul

Something pretty spontaneous that came out of a slower track. 100 bpm. Reason10 for arrangement. oZone for stem mastering/effects. Just recently captured the _phuqr moniker. Been into the pulverized kick drums a lot lately, swingin around n the pan pot n what not. Track might get louder with more processing. Will be showcasing this track at an upcoming show in Chicago Aug 3rd. Some samples of samples hangin around in there captured from uChoob. #Snareup

this is rather interesting and mature structurally and groove-wise (lol sorry laughing at myself trying to explain music i sound like a douche, music is good tho!) but the sonics/mixing/soundfield/volume is really destroying it for me. pulverized kick drums are generally ? and i really think this would be a really solid track with some big leaps in mix volume/quality...but that overall mix makes it hard to 'feel' the track and honestly just hear a lot of it. please do play and work with it and post the results! 

22 hours ago, Paul said:

Something pretty spontaneous that came out of a slower track. 100 bpm. Reason10 for arrangement. oZone for stem mastering/effects. Just recently captured the _phuqr moniker. Been into the pulverized kick drums a lot lately, swingin around n the pan pot n what not. Track might get louder with more processing. Will be showcasing this track at an upcoming show in Chicago Aug 3rd. Some samples of samples hangin around in there captured from uChoob. #Snareup

I'm not really sure what you were going for here, so I'll mostly just comment on the mix.
Your subby kick is nice, but is it in stereo? It kinda makes my head spin. Apart from that you've got more stereo stuff going on in your lows that is throwing me off. It makes it super confusing to listen to. But your track is called "head fuck" so maybe it's on purpose?

The break at 0:41 comes a bit out of nowhere. I think that's my main issue with this track. I don't really know where we are structurally or where the track is going.

I think you have all the bits and pieces here for a proper track, so if I was you I would tear this track apart and make a new one because there are some really fucking cool sounds hidden in this tune.

On 8/3/2019 at 6:38 AM, webby said:

I saw the Jungle tag and was expecting something different. I dug it none-the-less, especially enjoyed the mellow organ-type sample that only comes in occasionally. Good way to keep 'em wanting more. 

Yeah 'spos is was pretty click-baity but really didn't want to call it jungle or dubstep? Doesn't really matter, thanks for commenting!

On 8/3/2019 at 8:42 AM, auxien said:

this is rather interesting and mature structurally and groove-wise (lol sorry laughing at myself trying to explain music i sound like a douche, music is good tho!) but the sonics/mixing/soundfield/volume is really destroying it for me. pulverized kick drums are generally ? and i really think this would be a really solid track with some big leaps in mix volume/quality...but that overall mix makes it hard to 'feel' the track and honestly just hear a lot of it. please do play and work with it and post the results! 

Thank you for your response!!! No worries I liked those descriptions! :) Thank you SO much for your comments on the mixing aspect as that is where I'm working the most lately to improve. This mix was my stem mastering attempt but I'm totally going to reapproach and rethink everything. Thanks for this mental refresher

On 8/3/2019 at 8:56 AM, Squee said:

I'm not really sure what you were going for here, so I'll mostly just comment on the mix.
Your subby kick is nice, but is it in stereo? It kinda makes my head spin. Apart from that you've got more stereo stuff going on in your lows that is throwing me off. It makes it super confusing to listen to. But your track is called "head fuck" so maybe it's on purpose?

The break at 0:41 comes a bit out of nowhere. I think that's my main issue with this track. I don't really know where we are structurally or where the track is going.

I think you have all the bits and pieces here for a proper track, so if I was you I would tear this track apart and make a new one because there are some really fucking cool sounds hidden in this tune.

Thanks so much for the feedback, really! So the kick does have this panning effect attached to the end of it giving it that swinging feel but i see how that could make the mix muddy or confusing. I also eq'ed a bunch of the high end of the kick to bring the static-y aspect of it's distortedness out, but maybe that just further crowding things? Thanks for your comment on the structure and flow of the track. I think i put too much emphasis on the coolness of the sounds and not enough on variation or coherence of the arrangement. Hey thanks for the feedback!

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Thanks so much for the feedback, really! So the kick does have this panning effect attached to the end of it giving it that swinging feel but i see how that could make the mix muddy or confusing. I also eq'ed a bunch of the high end of the kick to bring the static-y aspect of it's distortedness out, but maybe that just further crowding things? Thanks for your comment on the structure and flow of the track. I think i put too much emphasis on the coolness of the sounds and not enough on variation or coherence of the arrangement. Hey thanks for the feedback!

I'm glad you could use the feedback ?
One thing that might fix the whole stereo low end problem could be send the kick out into two busses. One that's in mono and one that's in stereo. Then filter out all the high end from the mono track and filter out all the low in the stereo track and presto! You can now make it so only the high end pans around ?

There are a bunch of ways of doing this, but I feel this is the easiest way - and the easiest way to manage it afterwards.

Just now, darreichungsform said:

Easiest way is to use an imager like that from Ozone or some free bass monoizer Vst.

I generally disagree that bass should always be mono, though

Yeah, it doesn't have to be, but in this case I felt like someone was spinning me around while I was listening to the track.

And agreed on using an imager, but if he still wants to keep some of the stereo panning effect on the kick without making it too confusing to the listener it would be easiest to something along the line of what I said. Or am I overlooking something here?

4 minutes ago, Squee said:

Yeah, it doesn't have to be, but in this case I felt like someone was spinning me around while I was listening to the track.

And agreed on using an imager, but if he still wants to keep some of the stereo panning effect on the kick without making it too confusing to the listener it would be easiest to something along the line of what I said. Or am I overlooking something here?

Hmm, I meant a multiband imager. To me that seems like the most simple method. But your method is fine too and it has the advantage that you can edit the mono and stereo parts separately

21 hours ago, Squee said:

I'm glad you could use the feedback ?
One thing that might fix the whole stereo low end problem could be send the kick out into two busses. One that's in mono and one that's in stereo. Then filter out all the high end from the mono track and filter out all the low in the stereo track and presto! You can now make it so only the high end pans around ?

There are a bunch of ways of doing this, but I feel this is the easiest way - and the easiest way to manage it afterwards.

Hey check this out now that I think about it I've been moving the stereo field around on each stem which probably lends that wonky, off-kilter eq feel. Might be okay individually or if it were more subtle or maybe if that happened at the very end up top on the master. I'm going to attack that after the ole grind! That is pretty cool I'm going to play with that ideaR

21 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

Hmm, I meant a multiband imager. To me that seems like the most simple method. But your method is fine too and it has the advantage that you can edit the mono and stereo parts separately

Yeah I've been multiband imaging each stem individually. Kick, Snare, Hats, Organ-thing, Voices, all have individually arranged multiband stereo-imaging happening. Definitely a bit carried away, It's like, each part already has a 'natural' image so I probably pushed it to far from what it is. Have to keep thinking about it/experimenting.

5 hours ago, plugexpert said:

Listening on headphones,  cool kick fx. Besides the purcussion not much else though. Are you adding stuff on top live?

You know what I think it might just stay minimal like that, i think more rhythmic variation would help some of the stagnation..

Archived