IGNORED

fold4,wrap5 - how it's done DISCUSSION/ARGUMENTS THREAD

modey

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
Guest freefall
I listened to 777 again. It is indeed in 7/8 time signature, but really fast.

how fast roughly? i been trying to find the pulse of 777's meter for ages, everytime i listen to it. not managed it yet!!!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Cosmic Jet Robot

CapIV now.

I think it just keeps getting faster and faster and it creates almost the same melody as the beginning as at the end, yet it is much faster. I don't know. I'm tired now.

Guest Enter a new display name
CapIV now.

I think it just keeps getting faster and faster and it creates almost the same melody as the beginning as at the end, yet it is much faster. I don't know. I'm tired now.

Yeah, it's another track by Autechre that changes BPM but still flows smoothly.

4,000th post by the way, juss sayin'.

the entire song is in 7/8

It is not unlike them to do a melody and a beat in different time signatures though. Slip for instance. The melody is in like 29/8 or something if I remember correctly, while the beat is in 4/4.

I think you're right. I still don't believe it but I think you're right. Rook, you should just write a chart on autechre songs and their time sigs.

Guest spraaaa
I listened to 777 again. It is indeed in 7/8 time signature, but really fast.

how fast roughly? i been trying to find the pulse of 777's meter for ages, everytime i listen to it. not managed it yet!!!

254 bpm if an 8th note is a beat

just play the asterisks with one hand

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
D--DX-D---DX--

and the D and X as bass and snare

Guest spraaaa

yeah, it's all relative, I just looked at how I had it beatmapped in ableton and doubled that number cuz I was thinking about 8th notes.

lots of non-western music features odd numbers on the bottom of the timesig divisor

gamelan, some indian modes, even some jewish music. and it's not always syncopated or triplets either, sometimes there's a rigid adherence to stressing particular notes or beats in the rhythm

lots of non-western music features odd numbers on the bottom of the timesig divisor

gamelan, some indian modes, even some jewish music. and it's not always syncopated or triplets either, sometimes there's a rigid adherence to stressing particular notes or beats in the rhythm

That would be the top number. You cannot have an odd number on the bottom of a time signature. Period.

it is possible, but not very useful, unless as a juxtaposition.

from wikipedia:

"Irrational" meters

These are time signatures which have a denominator which is not a power of two (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.). These are used to express the division of a whole note (semibreve) into equal parts just as ordinary signatures do. For example, where 4/4 implies a bar construction of four quarter-parts of a whole note (i.e., four quarter notes), 4/3 implies a bar construction of four third-parts of it. These signatures are only of utility when juxtaposed with other signatures with varying denominators; a piece written entirely in 4/3, say, could be more legibly written out in 4/4.

It is arguable whether the use of these signatures makes metric relationships clearer or more obscure to the musician; it is always possible to write a passage using non-"irrational" signatures by specifying a relationship between some note length in the previous bar and some other in the succeeding one.

That would be the top number. You cannot have an odd number on the bottom of a time signature. Period.

incorrect.

e.g.

A Sîrba or Sârba (meaning "Serbian [dance]" in Romanian) is a Romanian dance normally played in 2/3 or 2/4 time. It can be danced in a circle, line, or couple formations and was historically popular not only among Romanians, but also Ukrainians, Hungarians, East European Jews, and the Poles of the Tatra Mountains. It is fast-paced and triplets are usually emphasized in the melody.

The sîrba is still popular in Romanian traditional music and in Klezmer music.

incorrect.

e.g.

A Sîrba or Sârba (meaning "Serbian [dance]" in Romanian) is a Romanian dance normally played in 2/3 or 2/4 time. It can be danced in a circle, line, or couple formations and was historically popular not only among Romanians, but also Ukrainians, Hungarians, East European Jews, and the Poles of the Tatra Mountains. It is fast-paced and triplets are usually emphasized in the melody.

The sîrba is still popular in Romanian traditional music and in Klezmer music.

this may be true, but how can you tell the difference between 2/3 and 2/4 if the whole piece is in that timing? like the wikipedia article said, it's only useful if used as a juxtaposition, ie. if the piece is originally in 4/4 then switches to 2/3 or 4/5 etc. otherwise the only thing that is different is the note length, the bottom number in a time signature doesn't define where the accents are in a bar.

• 6 years later...

https://cycling74.com/docs/max5/refpages/msp-ref/pong~.html

pong~ either folds or wraps its input within the range of a low value and a high value

I ran a sine wave into this and it really sounded like FM. I tried [cycle~] -> [pong~ 0 4] -> [pong~ 1 5] -> [/ 5]. If you multiply the cycle's amplitude by more than 1 before the first pong~, you can get wavefolding sounds pretty similar to FM.

This is similar to how simple octavers work, they just wrap the negative part of the wave upward. It's cool how you can not only adjust the low/high values to alter the resulting frequencies, but you could also change the waveform.

Archived