IGNORED

John Carpenter - Lost Themes

Rubin Farr

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you guys all ordering this have all the various soundtracks issued so far, mostly on Varase Sarabande throughout the 80s and 90s?

I'm just curious because there is a fairly substantial back catalogue of John Carpenter over the years. If I was a new to him, I would be starting there rather than this new release.

Death Waltz is systematically going thru the Carpenter discography & remastering for vinyl. I'm not sure if they're going chronologically.

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of that. I haven't followed him or his music since the early 1990s because by then his films were frankly awful and his soundtrack stuff equally bad.

But the 1980s movies and accompanying soundtracks were amazing at the time.

I'm going to openly admit that for a long time I was under the impression that Carpenter did the soundtrack for the The Thing. When I found out it was Ennio Morricone, my head nearly exploded from excitement, but I have to say I was a bit dissapointed that it WASNT John.

Still one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

• 1 month later...

Fuck, now there's a digital edition with 6 exclusive remixes:

Night (Zola Jesus & Dean Hurley remix)

Wraith (ohGr remix)

Vortex (Silent Servant remix)

Fallen (Blanck Mass remix)

Abyss (JG Thirwell remix)

Fallen (Bill Kouligas remix)

Available via iTunes February 3rd, 2015

Fuck, now there's a digital edition with 6 "exclusive remixes":

Night (Zola Jesus & Dean Hurley remix)

Wraith (ohGr remix)

Vortex (Silent Servant remix)

Fallen (Blanck Mass remix)

Abyss (JG Thirwell remix)

Fallen (Bill Kouligas remix)

Available via iTunes February 3rd, 2015

Available via all good torrent sites, February 3rd, 2015

fixt

Guest jasondonervan

Gotta be the Fog,chaps,

Hell of a time trying to find this without heavy interference from K.A.B. Antonio Bay Hits...

iWY85OaHXh2By.jpg

Gotta be the Fog,chaps,

Hell of a time trying to find this without heavy interference from K.A.B. Antonio Bay Hits...

iWY85OaHXh2By.jpg

Lol Andy doing his best sea faring impression. Where is that lighthouse, New England?

I like all his films. I recently rewatched Ghosts of Mars, and it's a great one. Really underrated IMO. The score for it is amazing too, the one in the movie itself not the separate score released. The movie is drenched in atmosphere, I love the look of everything in that film. The sound fx on it are creepy and extremely awesome. It has all these small details I love.

In the mouth of madness is also great. One thing about it is, if you get into the 'mindfuck' idea, Mouth is the perfect incarnation of that idea. All of reality is uncertain, not just scientists doing brain experiments type of thing. I just like carpenters way of doing monsters and locations, and the look of things. The underlying ideas in all his movies are great I feel, and they are all different. He has covered a lot of ground conceptually.

Edit: oh and, looking forward to lost themes. A lot

This just gets better and better...

from fact mag

US label Sacred Bones will deliver Lost Themes, with the deluxe issue including an additional six remixes from a diverse array of boundary-pushing artists.

Sacred Bones have tapped Zola Jesus and Dean Hurley, ohGr (of Skinny Puppy), techno producer Silent Servant, composer JG Thirwell and PAN boss Bill Kouligas for remixes. Ben Power of Fuck Buttons has also provided a remix under his Blanck Massmoniker.

I like all his films. I recently rewatched Ghosts of Mars, and it's a great one. Really underrated IMO.

you had me at 'i like all his films' and then lost me at 'its a great one'. We're talking about the movie with Ice cube right?

He made an even worse film called The Ward which might be his swansong, I doubt he'll get many studio offers anymore. He's making a pretty good retirement just producing remakes of his 80s films. Plus he's a huge dick and a lot of people dislike him in Hollywood.

I like all his films. I recently rewatched Ghosts of Mars, and it's a great one. Really underrated IMO.

you had me at 'i like all his films' and then lost me at 'its a great one'. We're talking about the movie with Ice cube right?

Yeah that's the one. I actually didn't think much of it when I first saw it, but when I watched it just a few days ago, I really liked how the trains looked, the locations, and even the gothic monster type humans. For some reason it all clicked. Everything was so red, and nightly and hellish. I can't really explain it any other way. Also did some cool stuff with eerie sound effects and with dream like sequences. I guess it can't defended sort of in a definitely convincing manner but all else aside I really liked it. Same as the Assault on precinct 13 music that has these dry percussive brush like sounds that are filled with atmosphere and associations for some reason

• 2 weeks later...

Archived