IGNORED

Moog Mother-32

Braintree

Guest bitroast

^ trying to link to full playlist but can only figure out how to get the WATMM player soundcloud thing to post 1 track. click the little linky.

Guest Chesney

Nice, really nice!

Would be nice if one unit have 2 oscs so a duo of units would be 4 oscs (maths genius) but obviously that would bump the cost considerably.

Good price as it is and the sounds are obviously great.

Too much overlap soundwise with the sub37 though so I don't want/need this. Gearlust has not gotten to me for a good while even with loads of cool new things popping up. Stoked on that!!!

Guest bitroast

oh man. ^^ to be that position. i'm feeling like my setup is only just now making full circle and making a bit of logical sense ... which is putting me straight back into gear envy mode but now to get fun things !!! gah. lol.

i think i still have a bit more of a chub phatty for the sub37 over the mother(2 mother setup even) idea atm. maybe a video explaining and demonstrating the thing a bit further may swing me but for now im not so sure! different strokes i guess ????

Guest Chesney

I think the only way these things will surpass sub37 specs is when 2-3 are chained together and patched with other modular gear.

Although the moog oscs are so dense that half the time you only need one and the raw sound is very nice. It's a really distinct sound and with the filter moog really do sound different to any other monosynths. There is always room for the moog sound in any setup as you will have no overlap.

That's how you make a product presentation video, bravo!

Really?

You didn't like it? Seen any other good ones lately?

I've never seen a good synth video presentation.

That's how you make a product presentation video, bravo!

Really?

You didn't like it? Seen any other good ones lately?

I've never seen a good synth video presentation.

OK, we pretty much agree then. :)

Guest Chesney

It's impossible to demo synths though because you instantly target certain genres and people and alienate others depending on who does the demo and what music they play. And spec style demo's tend to be really boring.

Most people need to hear exactly the stuff they want from the gear to be sold on it, whereas some people can take whats shown and see the possibilities and what they will get out of it.

yeah it's clear it's the 1 unit for $ 600 bugs.

pretty good price for 1 unit honestly, given it 's moog and they always have that super expensive feel and high quality KNOBS and whatnot.

plus option to patch them up if going down that route. this thing looks pretty, pretty good.

• 5 months later...

pretty good price for 1 unit honestly, given it 's moog and they always have that super expensive feel and high quality KNOBS and whatnot.

I prefer Arturia's knobs to Moog's and even though Moog build quality is really good, we all know that Moog products aren't worth as much as the price suggests :wink:

maybe moog can and do charge a premium for their products because of their name but good luck finding a good eurorack osc, HP/LP filter, VCA, external input (yes you'd have to buy a module for that), noise source, LFO, ASD envelope generator, buffered mult, VC mixer (with crossfading), and sequencer/keyboard for $600. you won't. especially not with that type of build quality.

on the other hand, about every one of those features is seriously gimped compared to what you could get if you bought each thing separately, but you'd be spending waaaay more (and it wouldn't be moog brand, if that matters). for someone who already has more fully featured modules doing that stuff, this thing might seem a bit pointless. especially when there are euro clones of various moog filters and oscs already available. but for someone with no modular/semi modular anything this definitely looks like a good deal. and with separate modules to make up this list of features you also wouldn't have the patch 'normaling' this thing has, where it's hard wired to provide a basic patch without needing any cables connecting anything (the basic patch being broken the moment you patch into it with cables to make your own), OR the fact that all the patch points are over to the side, and out of the way of the knobs.

thing is of no interest to me but imo that price actually seems low, considering what all is there and that it's moog.

Guest Chesney

Not questioning your opinion clark but have you tried any moog products? Sure the quality is subjectable and can the price point and heritage fool you into thinking you are hearing quality? Maybe a bit yeah. But… no other synth sounds like a moog. I actually did a osc comparison with all my synths for no reason other than them all being turned on for jamming and all starting from basic patch. every synth osc sounding the same if not similar but the moog sounded so thick compared to them. Totally different beast.

If this mother has the same osc as the sub37 then you're not going to get anywhere near the sound with any other synth and definitely nothing modern like an arturia ( they have another specific sound). Not sure about euro clones, never tried any.

Anyway, who cares? ;)

Archived