IGNORED

International Football Thread

Do any of you support teams outside of your own country? - I'm an Olympique Lyonnais fan when it comes to Ligue 1 football, and have been keeping an eye on St Pauli for a while now whilst not being a supporter.

Also opinions on 2022 Qatar world cup??????:rtfm:

Edited by milkface

I live in Canada, so all the teams I support are outside my country lol. But outside of United, I really only like Dortmund and Ajax - they both play incredible football, and Haaland is a beast to watch!

• Like 1

I support Ajax deeply, because I like their principles of play & growing players, as well as historical influence (Michels, Cruijff, van Gaal, van Basten, Bergkamp, Seedorf etc) 

Qatar 2022 is a monument of FIFA corruption, everything's wrong about that tournament, and since they plan to do World Cups every two years, it could be the symbolical gravestone too

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Schlitze said:

You can't support any team outwith your own country. It's absurd. 

You're right semantically, but regarding "pointless gesture" it's not that clear -- watching a game on TV/internet, buying merch, even talking about a club online leaves a trace in the current era.

8 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

Qatar 2022 is a monument of FIFA corruption, everything's wrong about that tournament, and since they plan to do World Cups every two years, it could be the symbolical gravestone too

So much this. Qatar 2022 is a fucking travesty.

8 hours ago, Schlitze said:

You can't support any team outwith your own country. It's absurd. 

In this day and age, not really. At the top level, it's not Bobby Brixton from down the road anymore. It's a global commodity, and it has been for some time.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:08 PM, Schlitze said:

Equally, posting a gif of you at your mum's house taking a break from posting here is a ultimately a pointless gesture

to be fair i have both a british and french passport but as amen said its more symbollic support rather than being from the area i guess but you can still be passionate about the team and still watch their games and know about their history and players - its retarded to say you cant support them

Edited by milkface
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2022 at 3:08 PM, milkface said:

Going along to see the Marseille - Nice game this Sunday with my boys from Marseille.

Was insane, saw some beef with police in the metro on the way there

53 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

Any Austrians in? Not confident about 2nite. 1958 was a long long time again, when Pele was just 17.

One of these, please, gods.

Fuck it, I’d take an own goal off the keeper’s arse for a win.

That's a brilliant strike!

Just under two weeks until Lyon face West Ham in London. Gonna try to get tickets for the game a week later in Lyon and I'll stay on my cousins sofa.

Edited by milkface

Motherfucker. Was always going to be a tough match in Costa Rica, going down to 10 men so early in the match didn't help at all. The second half Canada totally dominated Costa Rica (even with some comical, Maguire-esque levels of defending on our part), but we just couldn't find the back of the net. Hit the woodwork 4 times I think? Honduras even helped us out by getting a draw.

Oh well, hopefully we clinch on Sunday against Jamaica. We're at home.

@cwmbrancity congrats on your win - one more to qualify right?

I-tal-ia! Maybe not.

4 woodworks? Not meant to be. Some games can conspire against any team.

We got the winner of Scotland & Ukraine. I mean this in the best possible spirit but hope Scotland win the tie so we don’t have to shit on any Ukraine party. Whole world wants Ukraine to go through. Cymru? Quimroo?

Wouldn’t bet the house on it, still. Look at our managerial experience since Gary Speed, poor fucker. Take Bale, James, AR and Neco out from injury and it gets murky fast.

• Like 1

I think it's alright we had a loss (first one in the campaign) - some adversity is always good.

I wouldn't have thought Neco would be that big a loss for your defense? You have quite a strong defensive core don't you with Amapadu, Rodon, Davies, and even Roberts is an adequate RB.

It's a bit mad you're relying on AR and the Welsh Jesus to run your midfield - they're both 30+ and expected to run miles. The rest of your midfield is a bit shit - although Levitt shows promise but he's still just a young lad. Best to just bypass and boot it long for James and Bale to chase. James can't finish for shit mind, but he should at least win a fair few free kicks or be able to square it to Bale. Hopefully Bale manages to keep in shape between golf rounds, lord knows he's not playing an club football any time soon.

I just want the Scots to go through because I love the banter.