hoggy

What is more important in music?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What is more important to you in music? You can only pick one. 👅

• Outward looking: innovation, ambition, radicalism, experimentation
    • Inward looking: emotion, intuition, honesty, expression

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

Yeah. Idk. Still doesn’t make sense.  None of those things are mutually exclusive. Also, sometimes a person might staple their dick directly to their asshole. 
also, very male centric. But it’s all subjective. Some people do have staple fetishes and I’m not here to judge someone’s fetish. 
“primary driver” is to create… for reasons. I hate the “if you had to choose” questions. It’s like those people on the autechre subreddit asking people to choose an autechre record.  No one has to choose. It’s a made up universe we don’t exist in. 

i said dick because it says male in your gender, sorry, presumptuous of me - I do mean that

If you hate those questions then don't answer them, problem solved, but don't moan about it Jesus it's just for shits and giggles, unless you chose to staple your asshole closed obviously, then it's for nggghhhs and giggles

Edited by hoggy
correction

2 hours ago, chenGOD said:

What is more important

a) burritos

b) disgusting with salsa

c) batcock

easily burritos, because a bat can also be a kind of burrito and burritos may be disgusting with salsa, so it encapsulates the other two

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

15 minutes ago, hoggy said:

i said dick because it says male in your gender, sorry, presumptuous of me - I do mean that

If you hate those questions then don't answer them, problem solved, but don't moan about it Jesus it's just for shits and giggles, unless you chose to staple your asshole closed obviously, then it's for nggghhhs and giggles

it's all for shits and giggles. including my replies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ignatius said:

it's all for shits and giggles. including my replies. 

oh haha sorry, you seemed angry

Edited by hoggy
comma
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hoggy said:

a bat can also be a kind of burrito

Am envisioning a bat drenched in onions and hot sauce then wrapped with its own wings. Still though, batcock...

batcock-shirt.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Burger 1

One of the things I find very off putting about this music discussion forum is the hostility toward discussing music.

To be fair, it's not always this bad but it often is and I don't understand it.

Also @hoggy is it really just for "shits and giggles" or do you actually care? I mean I care, I think it's a reasonable question.

I mean some people are objecting to the questioning which I have no issue with but then if you disagree why not respond with your own opinions?

I will probably agree that Face Rhombus is "in the wrong place" but at least they gave an opinion and added to the discussion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, springymajig said:

One of the things I find very off putting about this music discussion forum is the hostility toward discussing music.

To be fair, it's not always this bad but it often is and I don't understand it.

Also @hoggy is it really just for "shits and giggles" or do you actually care? I mean I care, I think it's a reasonable question.

I mean some people are objecting to the questioning which I have no issue with but then if you disagree why not respond with your own opinions?

I will probably agree that Face Rhombus is "in the wrong place" but at least they gave an opinion and added to the discussion.

When I say shits and giggles, I mean it's just for curiosity - I do care, while at the same time realising the limited function of verbal communication where music is concerned - particularly because of the difficulty describing abstract subjective experiences, and it's tendency to kill the fun and the joy of things - like when I go out and there's music, sure I love talking to people, but at some point dancing is a much more fun and exciting and freeing kind of communication, and sometimes not only do emotions come through, but new ones are formed. I do think we can explore each others experiences on here, and I am genuinely interested in finding ways of doing that, even if it's pretty awkward to try.

I liked some of the objections, but maybe didn't think I had much to add except finding them interesting, like someone said elsewhere, maybe that's a downside of the *like* reaction, that you don't elucidate what it is you like about it.

I did give my answer to the question, earlier in the thread - I felt that by being outward looking, the emotion can come through non-consciously, basically (although again, if that intention is too concrete, then it will feel contrived). But if someone seems like they are responding in bad faith and just saying hmmpph question bad, I may be less inclined engage with their objection (than maybe I should be) - was there an opinion in particular you think I could better engage with? Genuinely curious, because I'm definitely up for that. Would genuinely appreciate you pointing any of those out

Edited by hoggy
clarity/spelling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

I value music that’s made for the rush, the adaptation, and the general backwardness of the act 

it's good for fucking hedgehogs in bandanas, yeah I know

5 minutes ago, hoggy said:

nope

well they should. we all know that's how all teh greats got to be great. BoC, AFX, all in it for the money, it makes one's art really have to be good, in order to succeed.

:trollface:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, springymajig said:

But there's a clear difference between discussing music and saying "factor X is more important than factor Y". To be fair to @hoggy, the question was at least "what is more important to you", but it's still really just subjective tastes, and honestly (speaking for myself solely) I'm not interested in why you like something, but I am interested in what you like.

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

that rhythm is far more important in music than melody

This reminded me of the Stockhausen interview with the wire (1995) as part of which he listened to a few tracks from Aphex, Plastikman, Scanner, and Daniel Pemberton, and then gave some opinions/advice - https://web.archive.org/web/20130529064851/https://www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing/interviews/karlheinz-stockhausen_advice-to-clever-children 

And it's just the artists are like, i don't really care - i'm going to put out what i want to. Like Aphex didn't take to heart... "immediately stop with all these post-African repetitions, and he would look for changing tempi and rhythms, and he would not allow to repeat any rhythm if it were varied to some extent and if it did not have a direction in its sequence of variations."

So yeah.

Spoiler

batcock

• Like 1

6 hours ago, auxien said:

well they should. we all know that's how all teh greats got to be great. BoC, AFX, all in it for the money, it makes one's art really have to be good, in order to succeed.

:trollface:

it's kind of tangentially, fractionally a little bit true actually, in a limited way though, like not to get *rich* but I think there's something to be said for making something for *people* and not just your own self-interest and obviously getting rich is a boring goal, but some kind of success - like, "I want to make something a bunch of people will love and come to and enough people will pay for" - but the latter part only because if they pay for it you can spend more time making music people will get something out of instead of just doing stuff in your bedroom that nobody else connects to - which is a fine thing to do too, but I do think part of music being really good is making something socially valuable, at least for someone

obviously it's a weird one though, you don't wanna think about it too much, but maybe just to make something for part of yourself that others might also feel, or part of yourself which has some relationship to others

I can feel the impending wrath already on this one

there's a clear difference between discussing music and saying "factor X is more important than factor Y"

I think it's just discussing a different aspect of it - what would "discussing music" be to you then? Something like "this bit of music makes me feel like X" or "this makes me think about Y"? - and yeah I'm not saying it has to be true for everyone, but when I listen to music, I do think stuff like "wow, I love the creativity of the person who made this, I wonder what was in their mind when they made it, were they focussing on a feeling, were they trying to make a sound they hadn't heard before, were they trying to speak to an imaginary other person" etc...

(speaking for myself solely) I'm not interested in why you like something, but I am interested in what you like.

totally fair - but I *am* interested in that - obviously some others are not, so they meme and criticise the thread, and that's ok - sometimes the meta-conversation can be interesting too - like "why am I interested in the topic and other people find it stupid and annoying?"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

what is melody really?

Temporally interacting tonal content which speaks to the part of the brain that processes tone of voice?

17 minutes ago, zlemflolia said:

its about the notes and the beats as well as whats in between

however in a way a note is just a fast beat...  so its really ONLY about beats

Yeah, a middle C is just a beat at 15,360bpm - hard to dance to though without leaving the corporeal realm

I don't know where one ends and the other begins. I suppose curiosity and play are the things that mostly drive me to produce and listen, and I find experimentalism for its own sake has value as a part of the process.  The experimental approaches increase my curiosity, which leads to experimentation, etc.  

Ultimately I don't think it's a coherent question.

• Like 1