IGNORED

The Future Sound of London - FSOLdigital Presents 2023 Calendar

Rubin Farr

Just given this a first run through tonight actually - Vertical Reflection a real highlight. Otherwise a nice selection of interesting offcuts, experiments and random pieces, only one I didn't like was the last track which felt a bit unfinished. Definitely one of the stronger Calendar Albums, although I miss the '90s archived tracks that were in the earlier volumes. Haven't had one of those for a few years.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, purlieu said:

Vertical Reflection a real highlight.

Yeah, I love this one as well!

11 hours ago, purlieu said:

only one I didn't like was the last track which felt a bit unfinished

Oh right! I really like that one. Love both the Humanoid tracks (of course!) Though I do wish Boignm Aquatic carried on a little longer.

On 12/30/2023 at 12:04 AM, purlieu said:

Just given this a first run through tonight actually - Vertical Reflection a real highlight. Otherwise a nice selection of interesting offcuts, experiments and random pieces, only one I didn't like was the last track which felt a bit unfinished. Definitely one of the stronger Calendar Albums, although I miss the '90s archived tracks that were in the earlier volumes. Haven't had one of those for a few years.

Is the Zeebox stuff worth picking up?

20 minutes ago, fumi said:

Is the Zeebox stuff worth picking up?

They're definitely on the more experimental side than other releases/aliases - Lots of mid 80s tape experiments with grungy lofi synth & drum machine work and/or field recordings. I like the 3 albums but they're definitely not for everyone ! Think Coil, Zoviet France, early Hafler Trio type stuff.

Yup, as Pete says, they're very strongly in the '80s post-industrial vein - they're superb examples of the style, and there's some proto-IDM stuff in them which gives an idea of how ahead of his time Brian was, especially as he never released the stuff at the time. Depends entirely on your taste, really, but if you like the sound of these then I'd definitely recommend picking them up, there's a lot to get lost in (plus it's fun spotting the bits they ended up using in FSOL tracks).

• Like 2