IGNORED

Freeman Hardy & Willis Acid

qnio

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Snugglebum

[from what mah homie told me]

when thom yorke heard this track....while he was driving.....he had to pull over cause it was too awesome. Some interview i think he said,

Thom drives cars?

:undecided:

Guest Kenneth172

Thom drives cars?

Probably too depressed to drive cars.

Radiohead's "Amnesiac" and "Hail to the Thief": a combined hour and a half of dreary, atonal whinging and sporadic percussion, like an autistic and heavily medicated roadie falling down an endless flight of stairs on the moon clutching a drumkit.

when thom yorke heard this track....while he was driving.....he had to pull over cause it was too awesome. Some interview i think he said,

Thom drives cars?

Yes I read that too. I think he was referring to that bit near the end of the track where the stereo channels seem to swap over making the listener totally confused.

Yes, shoe store!

"Freeman, Hardy and Willis was a major chain of footwear retailers in the United Kingdom.

The shoe retailer was established in 1875 and was named after three employees of the company. For many years, there was a branch in nearly every town in the United Kingdom. The company was subsequently acquired by Charles Clore in his British Shoe Corporation empire based in Leicester, which also comprised Trueform, Olympus Sport, Curtess, Dolcis, Manfield, Saxone and Lilley & Skinner.

In the early 1990s, British Shoe, by then part of the Sears Group, converted approximately half of the 540 Freeman Hardy Willis branches into Hush Puppies shops and sold the remainder to Stephen Hinchliffe, an entrepreneur from Sheffield. Unfortunately, after only a year, Hinchliffe's business empire collapsed. He was subsequently jailed after it was found that he bribed bank officials to obtain loans to buy the company.[1] After providing "Shoes For All The Family" since 1875, Freeman, Hardy and Willis was no more by 1996."

Track must be a tribute to it then, as the track came out in 1998!

Shit shoes. I never rated them. Me mam always dragged me to Freeman, Hardon & Willis for school shoes. Bad memories.

I feel your pain. I used to get dragged there too. They were indeed shit shoes.

Guest Kenneth172
Shit shoes. I never rated them. Me mam always dragged me to Freeman, Hardon & Willis for school shoes. Bad memories.

I feel your pain. I used to get dragged there too. They were indeed shit shoes.

LOL! :smile:

I'm depressed already.... :confused:

Condsidering the two great minds at work on this track I just can't help but feel the effort could have been better.

I don't think the working methods of either participant are conducive to a collaborative situation - the average AFX or SP track probably takes weeks of careful programming using complicated, highly personalised studio rigs, and I doubt they'd like to stay in the same room for that long - this track was probably fired out in a day, 2 tops. It does sound a bit "autopilot" but it's still a solid track.

Guest Kenneth172

The 'collaboration' doesn't necessarily dictate that AFX and SP had to work in close proximity to one another like an old school band. It has been known for collaborations to work across the world. In my mind there was room for improvement with this track which isn't to say it's bad in the first place. Just could have been better. My two peneth anyway. :)

Yeah, true - I'm just speculating, though Mike and Rich was a proper collaboration, wasn't it? Who knows, maybe they planned to do a whole album together, but Rich had sweaty socks or something and Tom couldn't stand it..

I think that it'd be difficult for any collab between artists such as these two could live up to the anticipation that it would generate. As it is, I'd say that 'Freeman Hardy & Willis' is quite subtle, and therefore something of a surprise.

And I'd have to concur that theirs were pretty shite footwear. I'm grateful to this day that their wares never inflicted on me.

Guest Kenneth172
Yeah, true - I'm just speculating, though Mike and Rich was a proper collaboration, wasn't it? Who knows, maybe they planned to do a whole album together, but Rich had sweaty socks or something and Tom couldn't stand it..

hehehe, or maybe Rich had cheese breath. I bet he eats lots of cheese... Cheezy grins all round.

Guest getting photons

The whole point of the track is when they take everything from before and make it more epic. That changeover from regular DnB with an ambient chill on top to a weapon of brutality is the moment I knew this track was epic.

This is definitely a top track, but if it had been released strictly as a Squarepusher song I probably wouldn't have questioned it. The overall tone and vibe is decidedly Jenkinsonian, although the time-stretchy/pitch-shifty effects that come to predominate about four minutes in are pure RDJ, no doubt. And that stutter-stutter-beep finale is an RDJ signature series maneuver. Don't mind if I give it another listen.

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah

weird, i always think of tom as the dirtier one.

Guest getting photons

I always pictured Tom as more apt to let drug abuse be a problem, while Richard has control over that shit.

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah
Hello? Pink Shirts? Jazz? Guy's probably rocking silk duds as we speak!

yeah, good point.

And I bet he shaves his crack'n'sack.

what? you dont? shit, i'm getting my gear shaved right now...

I always pictured Tom as more apt to let drug abuse be a problem, while Richard has control over that shit.

dude, RDJ smokes weed masiff, drinks like a fish, and trips on acid. i figures TJ to be more of a straightedge,,,

Guest Caustic

There it is--sorry if its jazzband. Also, now that I look again, it wasn't that big of a swaller. But enough to get fucked!

That vid is wicked. What track is his playing?

Guest Zing Zing Zingbah
Then again, it could be water...

fuck that! look at the grimace on his chevy chase after he takes a swig!

fucking priceless!

dude, RDJ smokes weed masiff, drinks like a fish, and trips on acid. i figures TJ to be more of a straightedge,,,

tom knows what it is to enjoy a good cup of tea

Archived