IGNORED

orange romeda is a shitty song

essines

And for some reason the grade 4s are reading 1984 out loud, even though it's science class and there's a film playing.  Not only that, but there are 1984 children in the class for some reason, or perhaps no reason at all.

• Like 1

Indeed. Never liked it.

33 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Orange Romeda is sitting in 4th grade during Science watching a film with the blinds drawn and the summer sun slipping through the cracks between each section in 1984.

Ugh, summer school. ?

4 hours ago, eh Speedy said:

Indeed. Never liked it.

Ugh, summer school. ?

You were the one who sent me a bad MP3 of Orange Romeda, and then a copy of MHTRTC! It's your fault I am obsessed with BOC! :dadjoke:

• Burger 1

6 hours ago, Joyrex said:

You were the one who sent me a bad MP3 of Orange Romeda, and then a copy of MHTRTC! It's your fault I am obsessed with BOC! :dadjoke:

Holy cows are you serious!?!?!? LOL! I take no responsibility for this. 

• Like 1

.....but really in that case it's all PJ at Modern Music, Baltimore's fault as he's the one that convinced me to pick up a 7" called Aquarius from some artist I never heard of, along with the order I called in for my Cylob - Are We Not Men Who Live and Die 7" and 3" CD.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

On 11/15/2019 at 8:36 PM, eh Speedy said:

Holy cows are you serious!?!?!? LOL! I take no responsibility for this. 

LOL, yeah, you broadened my horizons beyond just Aphex. For that I am eternally grateful.

On 11/15/2019 at 10:12 PM, President Squidward said:

Orange Romeda is good and all but we all know Stop Look Listen is superior in every way

SLL is one of Autechre's classic tracks for sure... not sure about it being better than Orange Romeda - and let's not even discuss Freeman Hardy, Willis Acid :dadjoke:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Joyrex said:

LOL, yeah, you broadened my horizons beyond just Aphex. For that I am eternally grateful.

SLL is one of Autechre's classic tracks for sure... not sure about it being better than Orange Romeda - and let's not even discuss Freeman Hardy, Willis Acid :dadjoke:

I think my track ratings for We Are Reasonable People are a bit of takes left and right lmao

lel.JPG.80bf68acdcad63692f64eb3d45c8f5f8.JPG

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/15/2019 at 9:54 AM, Joyrex said:

Orange Romeda is sitting in 4th grade during Science watching a film with the blinds drawn and the summer sun slipping through the cracks between each section in 1984.

That's the generic, cut and paste description for 92.7% of all BoC songs, though you have the year wrong.  It's obviously 1976, not 1984.  TH is the only album that really harks to the sound of the '80s and even that I would say is more '79-'82ish.

Now, about that Summer sun slipping through the cracks comment, does anyone attend Summer school for 4th grade?  If you're that slow at that age, don't they just hold you back a grade?

Edited by tailings

1 hour ago, tailings said:

That's the generic, cut and paste description for 92.7% of all BoC songs, though you have the year wrong.  It's obviously 1976, not 1984.  TH is the only album that really harks to the sound of the '80s and even that I would say is more '79-'82ish.

Now, about that Summer sun slipping through the cracks comment, does anyone attend Summer school for 4th grade?  If you're that slow at that age, don't they just hold you back a grade?

You'll find more of BOC's stuff tracks to the early 80's than the late 70's... after all, keep in mind how old Mike and Marcus are (my age range). Now, the material's age might be from the late 70's since stuff was reused quite a bit back in those days, but they would have been transferred to shitty VHS with the tracking needing serious adjustment.

And RE: Summer - some schools do year-round schooling :wink:

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

You'll find more of BOC's stuff tracks to the early 80's than the late 70's... after all, keep in mind how old Mike and Marcus are (my age range). Now, the material's age might be from the late 70's since stuff was reused quite a bit back in those days, but they would have been transferred to shitty VHS with the tracking needing serious adjustment.

And RE: Summer - some schools do year-round schooling :wink:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  I am a '70s kid and I'm tellin' 'ya, those are '70's sounds.  Now, I do realize reruns have messed with everyone's minds because everyone remembers watching the Brady Bunch as a kid, etc.  And everyone saw the same Film Board of Canada films, (though I remember them all on actual film, not VHS tape).  But the origin of those sounds and the vibe they evoke are straight up seventies.  I think most of BoC's visuals also corroborate that vibe, particularly everything MHTRTC through TCH.  The vibe is a bit shakier with earlier Boards.  TH is distinctly different with its very late seventies to early eighties John Carpenter vibe to it, in both sound and graphics.  TH is like the alternate universe soundtrack to "Escape From New York"

That's not to say there aren't anachronistic elements thrown in as well, like the David Koresh image , but the overall vibe is squarely 1970's and my memory agrees.    ?

Edited by tailings

29 minutes ago, tailings said:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.  I am a '70s kid and I'm tellin' 'ya, those are '70's sounds.  Now, I do realize reruns have messed with everyone's minds because everyone remembers watching the Brady Bunch as a kid, etc.  And everyone saw the same Film Board of Canada films, (though I remember them all on actual film, not VHS tape).  But the origin of those sounds and the vibe they evoke are straight up seventies.  I think most of BoC's visuals also corroborate that vibe, particularly everything MHTRTC through TCH.  The vibe is a bit shakier with earlier Boards.  TH is distinctly different with its very late seventies to early eighties John Carpenter vibe to it, in both sound and graphics.  TH is like the alternate universe soundtrack to "Escape From New York"

That's not to say there aren't anachronistic elements thrown in as well, like the David Koresh image , but the overall vibe is squarely 1970's and my memory agrees.    ?

As I said, more of their stuff tracks to the 80's than 70's - not all of it, but the majority of it. Take a look at the dates of the source material for stuff from Geogaddi onward, and you'll find a lot of it is very late 70's (1979ish) to early 80's.

I'll agree that MHTRTC and some of the Old Tunes stuff source material/inspiration is more 70's than 80's, however. Agreed also on TH being a homage to John Carpenter soundtracks of the early 80's.

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

As I said, more of their stuff tracks to the 80's than 70's - not all of it, but the majority of it. Take a look at the dates of the source material for stuff from Geogaddi onward, and you'll find a lot of it is very late 70's (1979ish) to early 80's.

I'll agree that MHTRTC and some of the Old Tunes stuff source material/inspiration is more 70's than 80's, however. Agreed also on TH being a homage to John Carpenter soundtracks of the early 80's.

And they've used samples from the '90's and the '00's.  It's not really important when the samples source to, I say the 'vibe' they create harks to the '70's(*).  You say '80's.  And I'm dead certain there are lots of young'uns who will swear it sounds like their 1994 memories.  That really is the magic of what BoC have crafted.

* - I do still think the visuals back me up on this point.  The fashion and haircuts scream '70's.  I'm not seeing any Big Hair in those visuals.  Vapourwave: Now >that's< '80s visuals.

Edited by tailings

2 hours ago, tailings said:

And they've used samples from the '90's and the '00's.  It's not really important when the samples source to, I say the 'vibe' they create harks to the '70's(*).  You say '80's.  And I'm dead certain there are lots of young'uns who will swear it sounds like their 1994 memories.  That really is the magic of what BoC have crafted.

* - I do still think the visuals back me up on this point.  The fashion and haircuts scream '70's.  I'm not seeing any Big Hair in those visuals.  Vapourwave: Now >that's< '80s visuals.

Since you are around my age, surely you recall that for a brief period in the early 80's (80-83') there was a period where the design and aesthetics of the 70's was starting to fade, juuuust before MTV, neon, grids, teal, and pink dominated the popular media landscape. THAT is what I think BOC try to evoke with their sounds and visuals, which was more reflective of their early 80's experience than say yours or probably mine.

21 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Since you are around my age, surely you recall that for a brief period in the early 80's (80-83') there was a period where the design and aesthetics of the 70's was starting to fade, juuuust before MTV, neon, grids, teal, and pink dominated the popular media landscape. THAT is what I think BOC try to evoke with their sounds and visuals, which was more reflective of their early 80's experience than say yours or probably mine.

I do, for sure.  There was definitely a lot of '70's spillover into the very early '80's, especially '81-'82.  But I also remember some hardline delineations.  Flares/bellbottoms, for example are very '70's.  I had a favorite pair of bellbottoms and I wore them in late '80 at the start of sixth grade.  And I got >>razzed<<  for it.  Those are flares on the cover of MHTRTC, which says seventies to me in big capital letters.  The images on Geogaddi are more abstract and ambiguous, they could even be '60's images, though the colors and compositions read early 1970's to me.  The images on TCH are to me mostly '70's but I do see ambiguous, early '80's in there as well.  I wouldn't put them later than '81-'82 in general.  Polo T's say '80's though they had roots in the late '70's.  Feathered hair says mid '70's, to early '80's BUT no big hair says pre- '83 for sure, (my 1983 high school year book is chock o'block full of big hair).  That Commodore PET is from 1977.  I guess my point is that even if some of this imagery actually dates from the early '80's it all feels like the '70's.  Color palette for M, G and TCH are very much more '70's than '80's.  The only elements that are '80's ish are vague at best, while the most the cues, legit or apparent, seemingly point to the '70's.

What are you seeing that specifically reads '80's in the aesthetic?  Or is based largely on the sample sources?

You're right that the teal and pink, so typical of the Vapourware aesthetic, didn't set hold until later in the '80's.  I grew up in S. Florida, so know the Miami retro deco aesthetic well.

So, fair enough, there is certainly some crossover happening here.