IGNORED

Ratatouille

Guest loonybin

Guest loonybin

While I wouldn't say it was a great film, there was a lot to like about it. The animation wasn't as eye-catching as some other recent CGI films but I did notice how little I was noticing it. Heh, by that I mean it didn't draw attention to itself and was more immersive than impressive (with the exception of the views of Paris which were sumptuous and the "blind taste" scenes which were inventive).

My favorite character was the obese ghost of the famous chef Gusteau, it was funny how he was there to motivate the rat Reme with little bits of cooking wisdom. I wouldn't dispute that good food is an art but there's something inherently absurd about being a serious gourmet (something to do with the combination of sensuality and snobbery) and they captured that quite well.

I think the food critic Anton Ego was made to be far too evil and his epiphany created such a dramatic shift in his demeanor that it made the climax a bit difficult to swallow (so to speak). I did however think that it was a brave move to have him narrate the climax with a long-winded restaurant review complete with meta-musings on the nature of the role of the critic. It was a bit more high-brow than what the 4 year olds in the cinema were expecting.

I would say that it is indeed a great film, probably my favorite so far this year, and that the CGI is the most impressive I've seen out of all the fully animated films for the very reason that it was immersive rather than "impressive" as you said. The main chase scene particularly comes to mind.

My favorite character was easily the little chef himself and rightfully so because the success of the whole movie revolves around his unique position of being a rat with refined taste. Not to mention that he is adorable.

Peter O'toole as anton ego probably says something.

Will get this on DVD

I too loved it, and the CGI was, for the first time, so "real" that I forgot it was computer animated and looked at it as if these were animated characters, if that makes any sense. So far, Pixar's best I think. Not as emotionally moving as Monsters Inc. or Cars, but still very, very good.

Is it wrong to want to bang the Janeane Garofalo character, Collette?

Guest Mr Salads

I thought this was brilliant. It awed and humbled me. I walked out of the theater thinking it was more than a movie, it was a fine piece of art.

• 1 year later...
Guest bitroast

lol yeah, i noticed that too.

i haven't seen the movie, so its' hard to work out what everyone's going on about in this thread. maybe i'll see it one day, along with wall-e.

i really hated it.

do the voice actors on these things record their parts seperately? i remember it being really unnatural and awkward.

Guest Al Hounos

has anyone see the short about the alien abduction on the special features of the DVD? It was really good. I haven't even seen the movie though.

ego.jpg

i really hated it.

do the voice actors on these things record their parts seperately? i remember it being really unnatural and awkward.

av-51.jpg

I really loved this movie. I'm surprised I don't own it. This movie also gave me a thing for dark-haired French women.

i really hated it.

Almost all animated films have the actors recorded separately.

Archived