IGNORED

Scotch

Guest leprechaun

Guest Tony Danza
Scotch tastes great but gives you cancer. Don't drink it anymore.

Name me three things that don't give you cancer, apart from swimming and time travel

Swimming indoors or outdoors? SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

When I get a dog, I'm going to name it "Scotch"

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what is the correct way to drink whisky (irish and scottish, if different)? is it with soda, on the rocks or straight up. heard that the ice will bring out more flavours. what does the whisky enthusiasts and purists say?

Guest blicero

i like it with 2 ice cubes. any more than that and you will water down/ruin a perfectly good drink.

soda isn't bad either, especially if it isn't very good scotch. mixing soda with high quality scotch is probably illegal.

I got these ice cube trays that actually make 1inch x 1inch CUBES of ice. Low surface area, slow melt.

1 cube in glass of scotch, and it's PERFECT.

None of that restaurant ice chip/crushed bull-shit.

When I ask for a Cube I want a cube.

There's one or two places in NY that actually have proper cubes stocked behind the bar,

makes me so happy when they give a shit about the liquor being served properly.

I prefer with the one cube or "neat" when it's wikkid cold out.

some purists will say you should add just a touch of water to "open it up"

and that ice "bruises" the scotch.

I have no idea.

depends for me..

maybe straight / maybe with a cube or a drop of water.

the poowrists will say always straight, but water can change the experience altogether so why not?

I recently went to an inn that had an enormous selection, can't remember what type I ordered but I ordered it on the rocks and the French Fuck who owned the place was so condescending it was ridiculous... so I caved in and had it straight up... it was delicious. But I should've stood my ground, he made it sound like I'd being pissing in it if I had it on the rocks.

if you don't drink whisky much, it's actually a good idea to start out with about half and half, sometimes even more water than that... it separates out all the nuances of the flavours.

if you drink it regularly, you'll find yourself reducing the amount of water naturally, because you will know the flavours you want to taste, and sooner or later, the water is diluting, rather than separating, if you see what i mean.

i still drink it about 2 whisky - 1 water.

Guest blicero

i rarely ask for "on the rocks" because they could take that to mean a handful of ice... so i usually say "w/ 2 ice cubes" and if the cocktail waitress is low class, they usually give me a weird look, like i'm some kind of snob who is just being overly picky.

i rarely ask for "on the rocks" because they could take that to mean a handful of ice... so i usually say "w/ 2 ice cubes" and if the cocktail waitress is low class, they usually give me a weird look, like i'm some kind of snob who is just being overly picky.

that's probably what i'd do if i liked my malt cold.

has the added advantage that you can just discard what's left of the ice cubes when the whisky reaches the required dilution.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

does it seem strange to anyone else that waiters/tresses can never interpret just "two ice cubes" to mean just that? i always get a fistful of ice, and think "what did i ask for again?"

in any case, single malt islays are class.

Guest tv_party
I still never have any idea how much Scotch I should drink. That or any kind of hard liquor.

It's always either too much or not enough.

roughly one shot of 80 proof = 1 beer I believe

if you're not a seasoned drinker, 1 shot wait 30 min. next shot

that should help establish a metric for you

that way you can control it

if you feel the least bit queasy wait for an hour or stop

just drink as much and as quickly one likes. trips to the gents to relieve oneself are the only metric required to measure your sobriety. when you find yourself bouncing off a cubicle door in the ladies toilet, you know it's time to ease off and put more water in!

talisker or laphroaig man myself, though not a huge malt drinker it must be said.

I have to say I like all of it, malts and blends, peaty or not.

I've had terrific whiskies that were French supermarket own-brands - I take it the Lidl comment wasn't ironic!

Here's the raw spirit that makes Glenmorangie going through the spirit safe :

495209322_fbdb7733b6.jpg

more pics of the Glenmorangie distillery here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/surrealist303...57600207861741/

I'm also lucky cos I live in Edinburgh and my mate is in the Malt Whisky Society - they have tasting evenings where you get positively mashed - last time was a grain whisky evening :

505992294_a33bbc15ab.jpg

more pics of the Malt Whisky Society here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/surrealist303...57600234890014/

I've not got a favourite - having said that, Ardbeg is quite nice.

Guest Tony Danza
with water.

room temperature.

Word.

Ice cubes completely remove all perceivable flavor. I 50/50 all my scotch and waters, and sometimes I heat the scotch up just a bit in the microwave. That makes the flavor EXPLODE in your mouth. Mmm!

At bars, if I decide to scotch it up, I always have to ask for a shot of scotch with a water back so I can mix it myself. Every time I ask for a "scotch and water," no matter what my instructions are, the server always brings me a cup of water with a shot of scotch in it. Gross.

Most people I talk to don't even know what scotch is, so fuck 'em. TAKE THAT, U IGNORANTS!111

Guest pythagoras

laphroaig is my favorite, but you should be very careful giving it as a gift, because the peatiness can be too much for some. (some think it tastes medicinal)

the one i buy for friends who enjoy scotch, but aren't that into it, is the balvenie doublewood. simple, elegant, and not outrageously expensive.

as far as how best to drink it, i guess it really depends. ultimately, you're supposed to add just a little bit of water to bring out the nose and the undertones. personally, i like mine neat.

the one i buy for friends who enjoy scotch, but aren't that into it, is the balvenie doublewood. simple, elegant, and not outrageously expensive.

yes! or glenfarclas 105 (thats probably the best bargain malt thats out there). aberlour's 10yo is also a safe bet. or dalmore's 12yo.

Guest leprechaun

So I got to sample the Glenmorangie Nectar D'òr and I have to say it was quite nice. This may have turned me into a scotch aficionado.

I have to say I like all of it, malts and blends, peaty or not.

I've had terrific whiskies that were French supermarket own-brands - I take it the Lidl comment wasn't ironic!

Here's the raw spirit that makes Glenmorangie going through the spirit safe :

495209322_fbdb7733b6.jpg

more pics of the Glenmorangie distillery here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/surrealist303...57600207861741/

I'm also lucky cos I live in Edinburgh and my mate is in the Malt Whisky Society - they have tasting evenings where you get positively mashed - last time was a grain whisky evening :

505992294_a33bbc15ab.jpg

more pics of the Malt Whisky Society here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/surrealist303...57600234890014/

I've not got a favourite - having said that, Ardbeg is quite nice.

that is awesome! i'm very jealous

So I got to sample the Glenmorangie Nectar D'òr and I have to say it was quite nice. This may have turned me into a scotch aficionado.

what do you think you'll get next?

Archived