IGNORED

Scotch

Guest leprechaun

Allright, since the beer-drinkers totally gayed up the "now drinking" thread, i want to bump this one instead.

I have grown to LOVE Ardbeg recently. After emptying a bottle of ten year old, I told all my friends how much I enjoyed it.

Later I got a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail and for my birthday I got a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan and Ardbeg 10YO.

So right now, I have 3 different Ardbegs to taste and compare.

Heaven.

Ardbeg is wonderful.

I'm nursing a Laphroaig Quarter Cask now. It's wonderful, too.

I want to snort some wet Islay soil.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allright, since the beer-drinkers totally gayed up the "now drinking" thread, i want to bump this one instead.

I have grown to LOVE Ardbeg recently. After emptying a bottle of ten year old, I told all my friends how much I enjoyed it.

Later I got a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail and for my birthday I got a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan and Ardbeg 10YO.

So right now, I have 3 different Ardbegs to taste and compare.

Heaven.

Ardbeg is wonderful.

I'm nursing a Laphroaig Quarter Cask now. It's wonderful, too.

I want to snort some wet Islay soil.

Fackin ell. You mind if I aks . . what did that run you. Had a sip in a bar and just about relaxed my bowels.

The QC runs about $50 around here. The standard, non-cask strength 10 yo runs about $20 cheeper, but I like the QC a good bit more.

I haven't tried cask strength yet.

I've only tried the 10yo Laphroaig, but I can't say I liked it very much... it's probably its "saltiness" that brings the taste of fish in mind - doesn't bother me in Ardbeg though. Will definitely get a bottle someday, but I'm not in a hurry at the moment, given the amount of peated scotch in house.

I currently also have a bottle of 10yo Springbank, which I like very much.

And a 10yo Jura, which I'm not that fond of.

i have a 12 year old but i just never really gave a shit about it. apparently it wasn't very cheap and it's not horrible but the amount i enjoy it seems to underweigh the price paid. can't complain but compared to some of my favorites i'm glad i got it as a gift!

i don't know a fuckin' thing about scotch but a few years ago this ex-military captain that i had just met took me cross country on a spontaneous road trip to California and the only thing he would drink was Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch. a bartender in San Francisco said they were out of Glenlivet and offered Glenfiddich and i thought he was gonna shoot the dude for even making a comparison.

to this day, whenever i want to treat myself a little, i spend 50 bucks on a bottle of the 12 year. i've tried the 18 year and was disappointed. the 12 is where it's at, personally.

When it comes to rye, I like the sazerac. Jim Beam rye is surprisingly tasty for the price too - way better than their bourbon.

Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15 is the best thing in the Glenfiddich line by a huge margin, for the price. Everyone hates on Glenfiddich but the Solera is fucking good.

EVEN RALFY AGREES

I like 12yo Glenfiddich. A nice everyday dram.

me too. I was pretty much raised on it.

Currently I've got:

Malts:-

Auchentoshan 12y

Glenfiddich 12y

Oban 14y

Laphroaig (Quarter Cask - the daddy!)

Blends:-

Jamies

Bushmills black

Johnny Walker black

Teachers - definitely the best 'value' whisky for every day boozing

I like 12yo Glenfiddich. A nice everyday dram.

me too. I was pretty much raised on it.

Currently I've got:

Malts:-

Auchentoshan 12y

Glenfiddich 12y

Oban 14y

Laphroaig (Quarter Cask - the daddy!)

Blends:-

Jamies

Bushmills black

Johnny Walker black

Teachers - definitely the best 'value' whisky for every day boozing

Recently finished a bottle of Teachers (after a long period of just single-malts) and while I was really disappointed with it at first, it kinda grew on me later.

Still, I'd go for one of the good supermarket lower-price 10/12yo single-malts over a good blend. Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12, Glenmorangie 10, even Talisker 10 are all under 2 times price of Teacher's/JW Black/Famous Grouse...

Damn, now I wanna buy a bottle of Glenmorangie :/

im a fan of Wild Turkey for the price.

I do like the bird. It's pricey over here though, and you can get a nicer bourbon for the same cost. But buying a bottle of Turkey is more of a statement of intent than anything else - "tonight I am going to take my trousers off outside," it says.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7352.aspx

This is the best whisky I have ever tasted, and not too bad on the price either. Its quite delicate, and leaves a nice warming feeling afterwards without being too overpowering. It was crowned whisky of the festival when I went to an event around this time last year, and there were over 300 drinks on offer.

I got my dad some 10 or 15 year Laphroaig for his birthday. He tried some tonight and said, 'Something is wrong with this. It's contaminated or something. It tastes like cleaning fluid.'

So he brought it over to me and I tasted it - it certainly smelled like poison. So I tasted it - it was simultaneously disgusting to the point where my brain was saying 'this is not meant to be drank' - but also quite interesting.

That was my first taste of any whisky other than Jim Beam or Jack Daniels. I was very impressed, the flavor was interesting.

I've only tried the 10yo Laphroaig, but I can't say I liked it very much... it's probably its "saltiness" that brings the taste of fish in mind - doesn't bother me in Ardbeg though. Will definitely get a bottle someday, but I'm not in a hurry at the moment, given the amount of peated scotch in house.

I currently also have a bottle of 10yo Springbank, which I like very much.

same.

these aren't really good ones right? that's what people tell me but i never remember the names of the proper ones because people tell me when i'm pissed.

is that ralfy guy a comedy thing? he says that glenfiddich 15 tastes like everything.. someone gave me a bottle of that for my birthday, it didn't taste like all that stuff..

Actually, I think Laphroaig has a very rich and lovely aroma, it's just that I can't help but associate it with fish. It's been a year since I've last tasted it, so that might have changed - I've drank quite a bit of Ardbeg 10 since, and that one's very salty as well. I think I just have to try and keep my mind open, in order to appreciate flavors as complex as that. Also, if it tastes like fish, so what - does that has to be a bad thing? Lagavulin tastes like smoked bacon - and I love it for that!

Regarding ralfy and other people's tasting notes - they usually (probably) jot that stuff down and don't really taste all that in a single sip. Also, it obviously takes a huge amount of practice to be able to take the complex aromas apart. I'm just starting to, but on a very basic level. And it helps to have others' notes, just try to find some of those tastes.

Archived