IGNORED

so i've only just

Guest ezkerraldean

play it

Yes, and beware, it's a trap. After the first beautiful ambient track, a typical Ae track suddenly comes on, just so you know. (Not that I dislike the other tracks lol)

Guest Rogueofmv

Prepare to be amazed.

WARNING: if not amazed, play again and again until amazed.

OR: get into some really wordy or philosophical graphic novels, then play again.

By this point, if you don't like it, the only answer is lobotomy.

Guest Zoinkers Hammyshammy

Personally, I prefer speakers to headphones on this one, in contrast to most of Autechre's other work. It really benefits from a good low end, and it seems designed to fill a room. Headphones just can't give it the space it needs.

Also, if you prefer texture over composition, you may like Versions more (the special edition 2nd disc), but they're both worth studying.

Guest ezkerraldean
Also, if you prefer texture over composition, you may like Versions more (the special edition 2nd disc), but they're both worth studying.

ha, i like that. you don't listen to ae albums - you "study" them.

i bought Korpiklaani - Korven Kuningas at the same time as quaristice. amazing finnish folk metal. playing both together on shuffle really screws with your mind.

Personally, I prefer speakers to headphones on this one, in contrast to most of Autechre's other work. It really benefits from a good low end, and it seems designed to fill a room. Headphones just can't give it the space it needs.

you obviously haven't heard it on grado/alessandro headphones then?

Tell me more about these headphones...

Tell me more about these headphones...

i have these:

http://www.headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=19

amazing open headphones, i haven't found a single genre that sounds bad on them! only problem is that they leak quite a lot, so not ideal for listening on the bus, but they're open headphones so i guess that's by design.

My Grado 125s fell apart, and I've been too lazy to repair them and find replacements for the foam. I know I should eventually, but they were painful and my new ones are much more comfortable.

I have Sennheiser eH350s. They're probably a step down, but they're okay. Maybe it is my setup, but I do find that with a nice subwoofer you really feel the bass a lot more, and tracks like Tankakern, Plyphon, and paralel Suns suddenly gain a whole new level. I can't imagine headphones doing the same, but it could be just my limited experience.

I still do like Quaristice on my headphones, but on speakers it blew me away.

Quaristice is definitely a speaker album, but it also sounds great through Senn HD-595s. I could see it working well with some good Grados, too (I'm just personally not a Grado person). The album does benefit from good imaging/soundstage (but what doesn't?).

I also have some Shure SE-310s, and I can say if nothing else that Quaristice was not made with in-ear monitors in mind. That almost killed it for me until I got around to blasting it through speakers. The shure's handle everything autechre has thrown at them before. Weird. There are definitely different dynamics at play on this album--with the wrong set up the percussion can sound so distant and weak (the anti-untilted). But when everything is lined up it's killer.

Yeah - Tankraken sounds muddy on my headphones, but on speakers it's spacious and powerful. Maybe there's a psychological difference as well. With headphones, I know I'm not hearing a huge space, but in a room I might be.

Also, the low end rattles like crazy in every car stereo I've tried. They just can't handle it.

My Grado 125s fell apart, and I've been too lazy to repair them and find replacements for the foam. I know I should eventually, but they were painful and my new ones are much more comfortable.

I have Sennheiser eH350s. They're probably a step down, but they're okay. Maybe it is my setup, but I do find that with a nice subwoofer you really feel the bass a lot more, and tracks like Tankakern, Plyphon, and paralel Suns suddenly gain a whole new level. I can't imagine headphones doing the same, but it could be just my limited experience.

I still do like Quaristice on my headphones, but on speakers it blew me away.

interesting, i had almost the exact opposite perception of it. On speakers it sounded kind of flat and lifeless compared to the expansiveness of how it sounded on headphones. there is more stereo field work going on in this AE album than most of their previous works, and unless you have the speakers placed directly on either side of your head i just cant get the same immersive effect.

i guess you had the 'proper grado' foam pads, right? my alessandro headphones came with the 'comfy pads', and they're great!

i guess you had the 'proper grado' foam pads, right? my alessandro headphones came with the 'comfy pads', and they're great!

Yes, they were indeed foamy. And eventually crumbly. Quite a mess.

Archived