IGNORED

Squarepusher + LFO @ London Astoria

Guest idrn

Squarepusher continues to excite and evolve with his 11th album, ‘Just a Souvenir'. A career that has spanned over a decade and seen him accumulate a large and devout fan base, Squarepusher is also a musician that elicits praise and respect from the most illustrious quarters. Considered a truly contemporary composer, two pieces of Squarepusher's work were arranged by the London Sinfonietta for the "Warp Works and Twentieth Century Masters" tour in 2003 and the follow up tour in 2004.

This is a rare chance to see this iconic performer at one of London's premier music venues with support from the legendary LFO!

on from 7 til 11pm so a proper chin stroking event, and quite steep at £16. still, its squarepusher - im tempted...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest behindthebeats

anyone know what time LFO will be on and what time SQUAREPUSHER will finish? any info would be great (i know doors open at 7)

i thought the astoria had shut down...it's definitely shutting soon and being demolished for crossrail...always looks pretty derelict when i pass it (pretty much daily)...is this show for real?

Yeah it sure does look a little worse for wear every time I pass it. I've heard it's gonna be taken down sometime mid-2009.

And yeah, I'd imagine this gig is real or Warp would probably get in a bit of trouble for advertising it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chelsea303

not sure if we were at the same event to be honest, it was so hit and miss. His new stuff is just awful... crowd were pricks.

strange though as there was some wicked moments, just filled with many bad ones...

That was excellent. I will admit that I do not rate 'Just A Souvenir' as one of his better records, but it certainly makes a great deal more sense after seing this performace. And what a performance, clearly ^ not to everyones taste but you cannot deny that he brought the whole bag of tricks out tonight. And to draw one criticism of the previous comment, the crowd were not dicks. This was not a laptop set Mr Chealsea303. When you have the focus of a very live and visual act, especially in a venue like the Astoria, things are obviously going to get physical (In fact I have never seen a Squarepusher crowd behave otherwise). There were moments when I got a little lost, or felt that it verged on exhibitionism, but thats Squarepusher, its nothing new. The live drums were fantastic with some truly remarkable arrangements, he felt relevant to the performance and not just a gimmick as I had expected. This was my fourth time seeing Squarepusher and each time he develops, maybe not the way people expect or would prefer but he is always charting new territory. A memorable performace. My only regret is missing LFO.

And leaving my earplugs at home.

It were a live set by LFO, I'm not really a follower of their stuff but they seemed to play a lot of their more popular hits, it's just a shame they seemed to be stuck in the corner of the stage with basically no lighting.

Squarepusher more than made up for it lighting wise, not only should I have taken earplugs but sunglasses as well.

I can't quite work out why the 'crowd were pricks' though, everyone seemed to have a well good time bouncing around like happy bunnies and cheering like mentalists. Even my brother liked it and he hates anything made beyond 1980.

Guest chelsea303

Ok, maybe i was being harsh on the crowd but i was surrounded by idiots... shame.

Don't patronise me etch, i'm fully aware things get physical at gigs, I've been doing to punk and hardcore shows for years. It's just half of the music was below par...

Modern Bass Guitar was rocking though, great to bounce around to... the new songs however have no raw energy at all... it's a personnal preference. I have nothing against the live playing, in fact thats the greatest draw to squarepusher...

I was just slightly underwhelmed

Archived