IGNORED

i'm brewing some beer

keltoi

got the kit as a christmas pressie from my lady.

40 pints (at approx 25p/pint) of Muntons 5% continental style lager should be ready in 4 weeks.

anyone do/done it? good results or waste of time and effort?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i got a mate who does it.. not from kits though ... even grows his own hops.

he's always got about three fucking gigantic barrels ready to drink in his house... works out at something stuoid like 40p a pint.

i couldn't possibly be arsed with the effort.

all sounds a bit 70's to me.

i have tried the fruits of someones labour however and i seem to remember being very, very drunk.

in summary, let us know how it turns out.

my dad did it in the late 70's with explosive results. it tasted nasty and blew your head off by all accounts. i've tried one of those all in one, expanding bag things you hang up but it was shit.

i'm assured methods have developed and results much improved from those days. we'll see.

i can make it stronger by adding sugar or using less water(less pints) but i'm following the instructions to the letter first go. this lot's a test really... i want to brew a nice guinness-like stout next (which is perfectly do-able i'm told)

effort-wise the first stage was really easy, just a bit of careful mixing and measuring. i leave it a week somewhere warm, make sure it's stopped fermenting, then transfer it to the pressure barrel for 3 weeks somewhere cold.

:beer:

Guest Karnov

tried it once as students, but rather than careful measuring/timing etc we put the brew in a hall cupboard and forgot about it. Until one night when we had no money, when the brew was cracked open... It was like silt, vicious alcoholic silt.

Sometimes thought abouit giving it a go properly though. Good luck :beer:

Awesome -- I would really like to brew my own too. Was secretly hoping my 'bird' got me a homebrew kit for Xmas, lol!

Please do keep this thread updated w pics and such documenting your progress! Or at least text. :w00t:

Awesome -- I would really like to brew my own too. Was secretly hoping my 'bird' got me a homebrew kit for Xmas, lol!

Please do keep this thread updated w pics and such documenting your progress! Or at least text. :w00t:

secretly hoping will get you nowhere my friend... i hinted like a mofo.

i thought about a step by step guide with pics when i was preparing it but loled and thought 'christ no don't be silly!'.

a friend of a friend who was a bit of a cunt used to complain about bought beer being crappily weak, so he brewed his own 50 percent stuff. hes now a pretty much irreversible alcoholic twat with kidney failure. so yeah dont brew it that strong is my advice.

Me and my mate bought a kit off the net the other night. We were a bit pissed after the pub and it seemed like the best idea in the world at the time. It's yet to turn up, it'll be fun if nothing else!

i thought about a step by step guide with pics when i was preparing it but loled and thought 'christ no don't be silly!'.

dang!

don't worry i'll tell you all about it and take a pic of the finished product.

dang!

don't worry i'll tell you all about it and take a pic of the finished product.

looking fwd to it, and to the video requested by mosca :angry: hoo-ahhhH!!

so how long will this take you reckon?

likewise - my own old boy had 'explosive' dalliances with home brewing around the mid '80s. He practically blew the cupboard door off the kitchen sink unit. That may have been the proverbial straw for that marriage come to think of it...

i'd be more inclined to leave apple juice in the sun at let in forment cause it's easy ya. my uncle makes his own wine,

home made stuff is rarely that good though

I'm really interested in brewing my own beer. I had a neighbor once that did it in our basement. Had a huge tank of it. Wasn't bad.

Once I have some extra cash [and time] I'm going to get one of those kits to see how it works.

got the kit as a christmas pressie from my lady.

40 pints (at approx 25p/pint) of Muntons 5% continental style lager should be ready in 4 weeks.

anyone do/done it? good results or waste of time and effort?

do it ... it's worth it .. everyones gotta have a go at least once .. make sure you have a warm place for the bottles to brew .. not too warm .. but it is winter there so yep ..

I'm really interested in brewing my own beer. I had a neighbor once that did it in our basement. Had a huge tank of it. Wasn't bad.

Once I have some extra cash [and time] I'm going to get one of those kits to see how it works.

plus if you know how you can make some moonshine, strong wise

i am having a pint of my very own esb as we speak. homebrewing is the best. been doing it a few years. pm me if you've got any questions

in fact the other window in my browser is for a yeast provider as i ordered supplies for an old ale, and then the yeast maker released an old ale specific yeast, but i think i'll be better off with the one that'll arrive . . . tomorrow? . . . so i can brew this weekend.

Archived