IGNORED

Rate the Orb's output

hayhook

I am interested to see everyone's feeling about the orb's output, rating with stars, their albums over the years.

I lost touch with them after cydonia and would like to know how they rate based on their earlier releases...

thanks

here's mine

0=never heard it

*=fail

**=meh

***=passable

****=pretty great

*****=flawless/classic/genius

ultraworld=*****

uforb=*****

evil=*****

pomme fritz=**

orbus terrarum=***1/2

orblivion****

cydonia***

the rest=0

anything else worth persuing? or am I set...

ultraworld=*****

uforb=*****

live 93=****

Pomme fritz (first track)=***** rest of EP=***

orbus terrarum=**********

orblivion=****

cydonia=**

okie dokie=**** (albeit very different style)

bikes and trikes=***

the dream=***

there is something just so layered and complex about terrarum. absolutely fantastic.

let's get maggie thatcher in here.

edit: 40 minute blue room=**** Jah wobble bassline=*****

there was a point that i saw uforb in the music store(back in the day)

i never picked it up, i guess i should have.

the only track i've really heard is fluffy clouds which is great. i downloaded most of their discography but i haven't listened to it yet

Guest spraaaa

there's some good tracks on the badorb compilation/label (website is sweet too), really liked the autolump & multiverse stuff, it's like what they failed to do with bicycles & tricycles. though there are also some terrible ambient tracks.

used to be obsessed with all their stuff, now kinda bored with most of it, but orblivion & pomme fritz get maximum stars from me any day.

oh yeah also "yungle" and "jam on yer honey" (cut from cydonia but later released on orbsessions comps) are really fun tracks.

Pomme fritz (first track)=***** rest of EP=***

orbus terrarum=**********

there is something just so layered and complex about terrarum. absolutely fantastic.

Well said.. the first track on Pomme Fritz is unfuckingbelievable, and the rest is pretty meh. Still, well worth owning for the first track.

Terrarum is my favourite too, by far. I even managed to score a 2xLP promo not too long ago! =D

they're more dance than orbital right?

Nope, orbital is waaaaaay dancier than the orb.

yeah orb have always been more of a blissed out, layered, chilled listen (even their more "dancey tracks")

and orbital is all energy and beats always. i don't thing they have an "ambient" track in their entire output do they?

pomme fritz should have included all the tracks that came on cd 2 of their "deluxe remaster" edition of late

and then it would have gotten 3-4 stars from me

otherwise yeah, first track - awesome, the rest - irritating

orbus is better with every listen.

orblivion is underrated, but definitely getting back on the "accessible" vibe

and cydonia is all "pop" but still pretty enjoyable. (though I would scrub the vocals from the album if I had a say)

evil 93 is I think capturing what orb does best

adventures and uforb, though dated on some level have such nostalic brilliance that they retain their 5 stars with honor

haven't heard anything since then....

Guest margaret thatcher

ah yes, the orb.

orbus terrarum is one of the best albums ever. full stop.

get the expanded reissue, the 2nd cd of bonus material for orbus terrarum is gold.

i should upload some more demos from that era.

Guest Hanratty
I got the new deluxe edition of Orblivion, but havent listened to the bonus tracks

i heard the bonus tracks. I think Orb pulled an Autechre stunt by releasing new versions that sound just like the old versions. Great album, but I don't know why anyone needs the bonus tracks.

Archived