IGNORED

I'm thinking about opening chain of hot dog restaurants

dr lopez

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
actually i made some gourmet hot dogs tonight... i grilled up some yellow peppers, then made a yellow pepper and cilantro pesto in the food processor (the peppers, a shitload of cilantro, freshly grated parmesan, garlic, and toasted pine nuts)... mixed that in with some rice then grilled up some hot dogs and chopped them up and threw them in the bowl of pesto rice. good shit.

this is dinner tomorrow

edit: what kind of rice tho?

I don't get into the accoutrements of hot dogs. Sick as it is, I actually like the native meaty MSG flavor of a meat stick. Have you watched hot dog production? They take these wicked mezzoluna blades and scrape down the center from wherever the actually good cut of flesh once was. These shavings are rendered along with paprika, MSG, garlic, loads of salt, etc. into a batter. I'm not shitting you, there is such a thing as hot dog batter.

Even intimately acquainted with the hot dog's history as I am, it does not deter me one bit. I'll do anything BUT chopped onions (I know, right? where the fuck do I come off?). But, the fewer, the better. Which is why the dog has never quite elevated as haute cuisine. Give it a shot anyway, though. Stack it vertically; they like it like that.

i think you mean the meat smoothie

Guest frank belko

i usually try different combinations of crushed chips, relish, mustard, onions(fried, diced, grilled etc), cheese (usually swiss) and salsa/tomatoes. coleslaw too, but that's probably because i'm southern. but the crushed chips are a must.

actually i made some gourmet hot dogs tonight... i grilled up some yellow peppers, then made a yellow pepper and cilantro pesto in the food processor (the peppers, a shitload of cilantro, freshly grated parmesan, garlic, and toasted pine nuts)... mixed that in with some rice then grilled up some hot dogs and chopped them up and threw them in the bowl of pesto rice. good shit.

this is dinner tomorrow

edit: what kind of rice tho?

i used regular ole long grain white rice

Guest frank belko
What's up Frank Belko?! I think it's rad that you've biked into WATMM to chime in on the hot dog! Stop by the rules on your way out :tongue2: :ok:

hi xxx! will do

:wink:

Sauerkraut, chopped onions, spicy brown mustard, relish.

i met a girl who looked a bit like your avatar and put precisely that on her hot dogs, but not in that order. the sauerkraut went on last, although i think she hadn't noticed the availability of sauerkraut until then. i had a bite and it was ok, too much sauerkraut though.

was that you?

• 1 year later...
Guest disparaissant

if you're trying to be all french canadian like its "poo-tin" but with a bit of french inflection that i can't spell on the second syllable. if you're just trying to be canadian it's poo-TEEN. eh.

we got good cheese up here in tha double-u-eye. maybe i'll have to try this myself.

Guest Z_B_Z

while visiting amsterdam i was initially disgusted with the mayo/french fries combo but after trying it i fell in love. i havent tried it since tho. that shit would probably kill me faster than cigarettes

90125956_573ab199c2.jpg

while visiting amsterdam i was initially disgusted with the mayo/french fries combo but after trying it i fell in love. i havent tried it since tho. that shit would probably kill me faster than cigarettes

90125956_573ab199c2.jpg

mm I can vouch for this, but if you OD you won't go back to mayo n chips for months. I went overboard and it has been off the menu for about a year now..

Also my vote is for the sauerkraut-dog even tho I can't spell it. that rules. thumbs-fucking-up.

Guest chax

I'm a HUGE fan of Smoke's Poutinerie here in Toronto, it's a gourmet poutine restaurant that only sells poutine. it's open until 4am on Saturday and has over 25 different kinds of poutine. My favourite is DEFINITELY the pulled pork poutine but there's the double pork (pulled pork and bacon) or even triple pork (pulled pork bacon and sausage) but that's like 12 dollars or something

4599909503_2ddf999ce7_o.jpg this place is going to kill me

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

lol that gravy on those fries look like toothpaste or cartoon pimple juice or something squeezed outta

best encased meat I've ever eaten was at Hot Dougs (encasped meat emporium) in Chicago.

Welcome to Hot Doug's!

The Sausage Superstore and

Encased Meat Emporium

3324 North California, Chicago, IL 60618

Phone: (773) 279-9550

Fax: (773) 279-9553

Today: May 12, 2010

The Game of the Week

Smoked and Spicy Alligator Sausage with Spicy Shrimp Remoulade and Irish Whiskey Cheese

$8.50

The Alene Akins (Today's Celebrity Sausage)

Smoked Portuguese Linguica with Saffron Rouille and Queso Iberico

$7.50

Other Specials

Saucisson Alsacienne: Bacon Sausage with Creme Fraiche, Caramelized Onions and Tomme de Savoie

$8.00

Mole Smoked Chicken Sausage with Chipotle Dijonnaise and Queso Enchilada

$7.50

Teriyaki and Mandarin Orange Chicken Sausage with Sweet and Spicy Peanut Sauce, Snow White Cheese and Black Sesame Seeds

$7.50

Corned Beef Sausage with Horseradish Mustard, Chicken Liver Mousse and Hickory-Smoked Sweet Swiss Cheese

$8.00

The Atomic Ribeye Steak Sausage (damn spicy!) with Black Garlic-Horseradish Cream Sauce and Sheep's Milk Marisa Cheese

$8.50

Southwestern Chipotle Buffalo Sausage with Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise, Morbier Cheese and Crispy Fried Onions

$6.50

Hot Sauce Chicken Sausage with "Buffalo" Mustard and Moody Blue Cheese

$7.50

Spicy Beef Hot Link with Coca-Cola BBQ Sauce and Pepper-Jack Cheese

$5.00

Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage with Truffle Aioli, Foie Gras Mousse and Fleur de Sel

$9.00

Swiss Cheese Smoked Knockwurst with Chili-Garlic Mustard and Smoked Gouda Cheese

$6.50

Yes. Foie Gras Hot Dog.

And on Friday and Saturday, they cook their Fries in duck fat.

Archived