IGNORED

Why Do You Post in WATMM?

Guest TooMuchLush

Guest TooMuchLush

Im in a 'Media Studies' class ans the assigment is to interview and research an online community. On that note, Hello WATMM'ers. Im sure there will be some haters on this thread, but actually its everyones chance to voice their thoughts on "Why/Who/Where" people are posting from, etc. If any brave souls feel like sharing their thoughts, or even diving head first into the philosophies which underlie and motivate one to post on WATMM...

This is pretty much the idea behind the asignment. If anyone wants to take part in this, use the thread as a blackboard and write, or PM me. I'm interested in what everyone has to say, even if that inloves sending shit my way and hating on what i'm doing. (Please, no-one think that i'm being some stuck up tool about academia and research and school work.) Honestly, i put two and two together when I was given the asignment, and i knew WATMM would be the best bet for actually communicating with people (I wouldnt dare do this in µ forum because of all the high brow pricks)...

Thanks all,

~Chet

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Drahken

The big factor for me is the community size, with the relevance of content and similar interests following closely behind. I like forums with constant activity, and WATMM has a pretty high frequency of posts even if a good percentage are off beat humor and poop jokes - in fact that is part of what makes it such a great forum. If you cut out all the crap, inside jokes and irrelevant content you'd end up with xltronic or something.

Guest 277: 930-933

You mean post ON watmm and haters IN this thread, right?

...I hate myself.

My reasons for posting on watmm are simple.

I enjoy reading threads and wish to be part of the community in some way.

Sometimes it's also a pretty sufficient way to relieve stress or frustration by making nonsensical posts and rambling in general.

It's nice to get acknowledged by other users or get positive feedback, it's nice to communicate with somewhat like-minded people.

Last but not least watmm has the best stool discussion of the internet.

Guest TooMuchLush

This is perfect people! This is why WATMM is dank and why other forums are wank. I get alot of news here too, strangely enough. I read more about brittish 13 year old baby daddy's via WATMM than i do american printed newspapers or television...word.

This thread can be thought of as the space for all those lurkers to say somethin...

If no-one is opposed, i'll quote you guys as a part of my project, as well as a sort of paraphrasing, if i i see fit.

Kaen

Guest Drahken

Yea thats another aspect I hadn't though of. I've learned more about euro and british cultures on here than just about anywhere else, not to mention a wealth of information about Chinese hookers.

I have a degree in cultural anthropology. I always figured there might be researchers lurking on message boards to do ethnographic work. Puts new meaning to the whole "armchair anthropologist" thing.

That being said, I'm generally on here wasting time. I came for the gear and music talk, stayed for the lols.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i post on here because I have no friends (nearby) and work by myself and it gives me the illusion of friends/banter which i can switch of instantly and don't have to hang out with if i don't want to. i also like the fact that news get posted on here and i like discussing new music releases and also music creation technique in EKT.

watmm is like a habit. not an addiction but just something i enjoy.

i first found the site when i was in university working on a film class and i was researching chris cunningham. no idea why i kept coming back. but that was over 7 years ago i guess

Guest Wall Bird

I came across the forum while looking for info on Squarepusher. I suppose I've kept coming back because of a few things:

1.The constant dialogue about music, especially the electronic kind and it's creation.

2. The ability to converse with a consistent group of people from a number of different places that I would not have met any other way. I enjoy the ability to know what other people on the planet are discussing (mostly jazz bands and poop) and allow myself to expand outside of my immediate surroundings and acquaintances.

3. The debate. It's always good to get dissenting opinions, even if they are occasionally in the form of immature posters.

4. The news and media from the far reaches. It's good to share.

Guest Sir Winston

Been here too long to drag myself away. This place really does one of the best range of posters I have ever seen on a board and it never seems to ruin the flow of it. Also it could be because the moderators do their job without being utter pricks like on alot of other places.

Also the tits thread was pretty good. :angry:

it is one of the main reasons why people use the internet: to connect with others who have similar interests to their own. there are internet communities for almost every topic you can imagine, and this is one of the few places online where people can discuss that certain kind of music (idm) that they enjoy listening to/creating. none of my friends in the real world enjoy the same music as i do, so i look online for that kind of discussion. it's the same for other interests that people feel passionate about, but can't connect with people in the real world for whatever reason. hope this answers your question.

Archived