IGNORED

Quitting Weed

Guest Grizz

I've been a heavy cannabis smoker for about 6 years now. I've managed to quit for a few months at a time about 3 times now but every time I do I eventually get back into it albeit because of friends, habits and a trip to Amsterdam.

I wouldn't want to quit at all if it didn't make me such a schzoid fuck but whenever I do smoke I'll skip parties etc and just sit at home doing fuck all.

Anyone managed to do this successfully and got any tips?

I'm only on day 2 and I am already bored shitless with everything that usually entertains me whilst high

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to my life in about - *checks stash* - two days.

Anyway, exercise, exercise, exercise and drinks lots of water. Sounds cliche, and perhaps not what you want to hear, but its one of the best ways of resetting your body and ensuring that you don't go into a funk/withdrawal.

You can also do a fast which I hear helps - you have to do it for at least a few days; you can drink water and green tea, just no food, caffeine, etc. Sort of like hitting the reset button for your body.

Good luck man, as a chronic smoker (ha.ha.) I feel your pain.

Its not the fitness that gets me really as I'm a postman so I get shitloads of exercise and drink a lot of water already.

The real issue that gets me when I don't smoke it is how to occupy my time. And I'll spend a lot more money going out and getting shitfaced drunk too

are you not just using weed as an excuse not to go to parties

its alright not to go to parties you know

fuck the social pressure

--

the unabomber

just ban her!!!!

Was waiting for that :D

are you not just using weed as an excuse not to go to parties

its alright not to go to parties you know

fuck the social pressure

--

the unabomber

No, I always arrange to do stuff when sober, look forward to it, get stoned and then fob it off out of laziness

I think the thing with quitting weed (or anything else for that matter) is that you have to genuinely no longer enjoy it I'd want to do it. you will always come back to it if you've forces yourself to abstain but are secretly dying for a spliff. obviously you like weed so are going to miss it and really want it deep down. so you somehow have to get into the mindset of feeling very negative towards weed - like every time you think of it it makes you angry or revulsed instead of thinking "mmmmmmmm weed".

don't ask me how though as I've been smoking green for 16 years and I still love it.

sorry about my attricious spelling and grammar in that last post - it's this god dam iPhone predictive text keeps assuming I want a word when I want something else!

I think the thing with quitting weed (or anything else for that matter) is that you have to genuinely no longer enjoy it I'd want to do it. you will always come back to it if you've forces yourself to abstain but are secretly dying for a spliff. obviously you like weed so are going to miss it and really want it deep down. so you somehow have to get into the mindset of feeling very negative towards weed - like every time you think of it it makes you angry or revulsed instead of thinking "mmmmmmmm weed".

don't ask me how though as I've been smoking green for 16 years and I still love it.

I think thats it in the end, and I don't want to quit now to be honest but I feel the fact I'm pretty much dependant on it on a day to day basis is appaling, and as much as I try I can never moderate it.

It'll never last *sigh*

don't worry about it so much - just accept that you're a bit of a stoner and because of this, not necessarily going the be the most lively, up for it person in the world.....

so you like staying in and getting nicely stoned, so what? probably better than going out and getting shit faced on beer and cocaine at some party.

try getting into stuff you can do whilst staying in - making tunes, art, god forbid - even WoW.....

Guest Dirty Protest
I'm only on day 2 and I am already bored shitless with everything that usually entertains me whilst high

Surely that must be an incentive, It sends your bullshit detector all out of sync. Can really help with stopping tho, I used to smoke about a half a day then one day it just bored me so I stopped, well not stopped I still smoke about 10 times a year but in my head im a nonsmoker.

Its not the fitness that gets me really as I'm a postman so I get shitloads of exercise and drink a lot of water already.

The real issue that gets me when I don't smoke it is how to occupy my time. And I'll spend a lot more money going out and getting shitfaced drunk too

Take up a hobby - something you've never done but always wanted to do, and most importantly, do it. This will get your mind off the evil plant in no time.

Do you play video games? If you don't, perhaps taking up gaming online or something (if you're into that) would be a good use of your free time.

A postman, eh? I always wanted to do a job like that for the physicality of it, but the pay was never attractive enough (at least here in the States). Plus, postmen here for the most part drive around in a little van rather than walk their routes anymore.

Guest David R James

Ive smoked weed for about 10 years now and gone through the same stop and start phases like most. I had a massive break through a couple of years ago after being on an 8 week binge when i was at uni where i would wake up, smoke, have breaky, smoke, watch telly, smoke, have cuppa, smoke, have dinner, smoke, chill, smoke, go to bed, smoke. And like i said this went on for 8 weeks like this everyday.I went to sleep at 6 or 7 in the moring and get up at 4 or 5 in the afternoon, and in the winter it was dark at that time so that was depressing.It had been like this b4 but never on the same scale. Towards the end of the binge i wasnt enjoying it at all, joints tasted sick, i was forcing myself to smoke, and whats the fucking point in that? exactly, not point. So i had 2 quick cos i couldnt do it any longer. Other issues included 'grit weed' which has plagued britain over the last 2 or 3years and that put me of because of the health issues. Now i live somewhere and know no one who smokes weed or can get it so that probably why im not smoking at the moment becos i just cant get it.

The health aspect often helps me think about quiting, watch some cancer vids on youtube and stuff that shows what smoking does to ur lungs and stuff, just for alittle incentive. I think the hardest thing to break is routine and the only way to break it start a new one.

even WoW.....

Hah thanks for the comments man I appreciate it, and oddly enough I'm a big wow player and after a hiatus I've just got to lvl 78. Since I havent smoked the last few days I have had no desire at all to play. Probably because I associate it with smoking now

Take up a hobby - something you've never done but always wanted to do, and most importantly, do it. This will get your mind off the evil plant in no time.

A postman, eh? I always wanted to do a job like that for the physicality of it, but the pay was never attractive enough (at least here in the States). Plus, postmen here for the most part drive around in a little van rather than walk their routes anymore.

Yeah I think I'm going to start playing around with some music applications as I usually hold no patience for them. And I went from being really unhappy as a training Accountant to loving my job as a postman. I've lost over a stone, love walking about listening to music and all that comes with it. The job actually pays fairly decently over here.

Ive smoked weed for about 10 years now and gone through the same stop and start phases like most. I had a massive break through a couple of years ago after being on an 8 week binge when i was at uni where i would wake up, smoke, have breaky, smoke, watch telly, smoke, have cuppa, smoke, have dinner, smoke, chill, smoke, go to bed, smoke. And like i said this went on for 8 weeks like this everyday.I went to sleep at 6 or 7 in the moring and get up at 4 or 5 in the afternoon, and in the winter it was dark at that time so that was depressing.It had been like this b4 but never on the same scale. Towards the end of the binge i wasnt enjoying it at all, joints tasted sick, i was forcing myself to smoke, and whats the fucking point in that? exactly, not point. So i had 2 quick cos i couldnt do it any longer. Other issues included 'grit weed' which has plagued britain over the last 2 or 3years and that put me of because of the health issues. Now i live somewhere and know no one who smokes weed or can get it so that probably why im not smoking at the moment becos i just cant get it.

The health aspect often helps me think about quiting, watch some cancer vids on youtube and stuff that shows what smoking does to ur lungs and stuff, just for alittle incentive. I think the hardest thing to break is routine and the only way to break it start a new one.

The mental aspect of it is much more worrying I think. I smoke cigarettes anyway, but I get much more worried about future mental health problems caused by weed.

i have no idea how im going to quit, ive tried multiple times and its like 3 weeks and i just cant avoid the spliff anymore.

im moving out in september and wont have any mates initially so im going to try and do it then.

Do you play video games? If you don't, perhaps taking up gaming online or something (if you're into that) would be a good use of your free time.

i rather be weed addicted then a wow addicted like some of my friends

playing interent games is not a good use of free time, wtf

i'm over 4 years off it. i found it really easy even though i was an everyday smoker for over 12 years, getting through anything from a 1/4 to an oz a week. i've never taken so much as a single puff since even when mates still do it around me.

getting stoned makes sitting around doing nothing seem like a worthwhile passtime, but straight, you realise this isn't very satisfying at all...

so without it the only challenge you've got is to think of something to do... which should be easy unless you're braindead. zoning out to crap tv til 4am is no longer enjoyable? good.

take notice of how good it feels when that mist lifts after 3 or 4 days off it.

Guest Al Hounos

not when there's a lot of good books out there that need reading, a lot of good movies need watching. good sports that need playing.

what i dont get is how any one of you guys just sits around while high doing nothing

i get hella active and enjoy just about everything more

actually i used to sit around and do nothing while high on weed and ritalin

kicked the ritalin, had some introspection and solved some personal issues now it's all good

Man I had to quit for the same reasons. I would smoke up and never leave my pad, my dealer would deliver to my house. I started having a really hard time having conversations with people and maintaining friendships. It sucked. I was totally paranoid, some of that lingers to this day. After a couple days the first thing you will notice is that your testosterone comes back. I don't know if this is actually what medically happens but that's what it feels like. You will feel happy, energetic, and horny, but you may also become a huge prick at times.

Chronic weed smoking is like a religion. Exercise will help, but you might need some kind of spirituality to help you. I'm not saying that you need to find God or some shit, but maybe meditating or a relaxing walk or whatever to calm the nerves that are now on the rebound. Myself, I used alcohol for this, but I definately DO NOT recommend this as it is WAY more addictive and destructive than weed (as I found out the hard way).

Whatever you do man, just find something to counteract the weed. Feed your mind with healthy things and the old sickness will eventually starve and die off.

Archived