IGNORED

wordlife "glitchhop"/idm mini-rant

sinicalypse

today i stumbled across this d00d alex's myspace page, and this is a bonafide motherfucker i miss. circa 10-11 years ago during my short-lived UIC days, me and my friend actfact used to go there every monday to cop an ounce of bomb 30s (IMO, the best value in weed-smoking is the stuff that smokes nearly as good as dank for 1/2 of the price) for like $115-135 depending on who had it, and then it'd be some sort of wrestling, usually ending up with old ECW tapes. alcohol and LSD occasionally made the rounds. plus it was fun cuz this d00d would do things like sell you a gram of hash, then 10 minutes later forget that he gave it to you and hand you another one before you left. that's my kind of service.

little did i know he was evidently into aphex twin at the same time, however back then aphex twin fans were well conditioned to not share such a thing for the fear of being branded a dork. which is nowadays like a badge of honor in this place but i digress.. i need to shut up and let him do the talking

---

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

so, this "glitchop" shit....

Current mood: annoyed

Category: Music

10 something years ago, i got into aphextwin/squarepusher/mu-ziq ect.. because hiphop was getting boreing to me, espeshily the beats, i was never into no rave scene or no shit like that, because at the time people with green hair and fruity colors made me violent

anyways, i remeber everyone clowning on me for the shit, i used to always get into arguments over how much better/skillful a producer aphextwin is compaired to primo or dr dre(yes i know its a stupid argument but i was 16-17 at the time), and fools thinking i was a completly retard for freestyleing over "idm beats"(which i had no clue where labled "idm" till a few years ago, i just thought they where dope ass beats)

now , 10 something years later, when i finaly get to start apreachiateing minimal shit and simple hiphop loop beats again, mother fuckers wana flip the script and get into that shit, im hearing mother fuckers mix crime mob with some aphextwin biten producers shit(or influenced, same shit) and everyone is danceing to it and haveing a good time all like "this that next shit", and instead of feeling good about it, like "alright, now everyone understands yay" im all annoyed, like "fuck yall, your 10 years too late" the same way i used to feel about underground hiphop, why do trendy ass fuckers have to ruin everything for me always?, or maybe the question should be, why do i let trendy homos bothers me? what the fuck should i care right? fuck it, guess im not gonna be satisfide till everyones dead, or wcw comes back, but this time chris jericho has to be a headliner and juventude is a full time comentator, god damn that would be fucking awsome

It's not that the trendy fuckers are ruining things by liking them, it's that you have such a strong desire to have your favorites be underground and unknown, that once they get any kind of mainstream appeal it irritates you. Frankly, I think it's absurd to by upset that a large number of people like something you do. :undecided:

I imagine it's the same with a lot of people and Radiohead. Radiohead's better than 98% of all rock music out there, but people hate on them because they've got tons of mainstream appeal and you lose your elitist music fan cred if you go around liking things everyone else does.

[fake edit] Also, thank you for getting to the point in only 5 paragraphs. That ensured that I read it. :ok:

Archived