IGNORED

going to europe

Guest aron

Guest Chloe S
the people are very insane

they are - i went there once and someone tried to sell me a magic wolf.

well you definately should have taken them up on it, i hear there the next big thing in wales, i could be wrong though!! :p

Essines, your lucky you can only get One here for 50p :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Computer

Sounds awesome! You def got some balls!

Sorry for posting my own plans in your thread. But Im also heading over to Europe (Amsterdam. France Spain) in a couple of weeks. So if any fellow watmmers wanna catch up it would be awesome. anyway, sorry again. and take care dude!

hitchhiking

that. it is the cheapest way. the good thing is to ask the truck drivers where they're headed and join them. some will really appreciate the company. interrail can be very expensive. you could try sneaking on a empty cargo train. we did this once and it was a real fun. you come to a railway station and wait for a cargo train to be unloaded, then jump on the platform. you have to be careful not to be seen, and get a firm grip and warm clothes. the bad thing is that you don't know where you're headed, but that the fun part isn't it? also it's quite hard to be so lucky and find an empty cargo train stopping somewhere.

there is really alot to see in europe everywhere you go. all the cities are amazing, i'd highly recommend berlin (i trully love that city), and there are many ways to get around with little or no money.

the thing with working can get a little complicated as usually you require certain status or documents, so i'd recommend earning your money somewhere in the country by helping in a cheap restaurant or physical labor. in the cities it is possible to earn quite good as a waiter, but usually requires some experience and speaking the local language. anyway, people know english quite good (except the italians and parts of eastern europe).

you can PM me, if you have any specific questions.

btw, train fares are INSANE in the uk

they are - i got a return to Bedford the other day and it cost 3 dragons, a 1979 Austin Allegro and 8 Fish Fingers.

8 Fish Fingers, that just takes the biscuit!!

but on the europe front, Amsterdam is like Disney Land for adults, getting a bit more expensive compared to a few years back, but still cheap compared to say UK.

Also Estonia is like the cheapest place i've ever been, its damn fucking cold, but we found a bar where it worked out that it was like 50p a pint of lager!! places to stay are crappy but cheap, food is OK and cheap, and the people are very insane, v.entertaining!!

i was there 2 weeks ago... most bars were about 5 euros a pint... some were as much as 8. stupidly expensive i thought.

Guest Chloe S

as i said i haven't been for a while, and i hadn't realised it got that expensive, apologies for incorrectness :)

I recommend going to Iceland and other parts of Scandanavia, but if you do then be prepared to pay £6+ for a bottle of beer. Barcelona and London would also be top of my list. London truly is amazing...I've lived here for 4 years and still haven't begun to see and do everything that it has to offer.

Guest Georges Bataille

come to belgium. great music scene. pints of lager are cheap (1,70€). quality beers wherever you go. hot chicks. multi-lingual. great architecture. solid summers.

[/advertisement]

Guest dese manz hatin

i like belgium awell.. even though i have to say that liege has to be one of the dirtiest shitholes i have ever seen.. or at least the parts i got to know. looks like a giant soviet garbage dump lol

but i like the motorways!

Wow, you can hitchhike in Europe without getting murdered? I envy you guys.

What is so great about Berlin? I hear people love it. Is it mostly newer architecture due to the ww2 bombings?

What is so great about Berlin? I hear people love it. Is it mostly newer architecture due to the ww2 bombings?

It's just amazing, proper 24 hour city in ways the paris and london etc. aren't. Quite cheap too.

i wouldn't do it alone or with a gf or if you're not fairly sure you can handle yourself a bit... and carry a big knife.

other than that it's pretty safe.

if you stroll around in NRW (ruhr area, cologne etc.) give me a shout.

hitchhiking is easy in europe, just don't do it in italy/spain (no one will pick you up). best places for hitchhiking are ex-ussr-countries.

also: http://www.couchsurfing.com/

have fun in the old world :beer:

• 1 month later...
Guest aron

well pals, i leave tomorrow. i've managed to scrounge up some decent coin and i think im as ready as i will ever be.

gonna pack the ol computer away in the next 2 or 3 hours, then i will be gone from internet land.

so i bid you adieu watmm. many lols were had over the years.. but i will return one day!!

peace duders

Guest countchocula

Surely you will be able to find some sort of internet access like a net cafe or something? I would like to hear updates on your journey. I am glad you liked my MSpaint of what the world would be like if bees died.

You will be at home in Europe. Everyone loves Canadians over there. In fact, when I would tell people I was from Niagara Falls, they would get excited and say "OH YOU ARE CANADIAN!", and then I would have to explain that No, i was from the American side of the border. Then they would look at me funny, and go on pretending they hadn't heard me, acting as if I was Canadian. No matter how hard I tried to explain, most people just weren't having it.

Archived