IGNORED

graphic novels

Guest Ricky Downtown

GBIII: yeah I have The Black Dossier on cbr but haven't read it yet, have heard negative things compared to the other 2 vol's.....

am wanting to read the Civil War series(i know not Moore or really a graphic novel)....

and it is a bit of an undertaking....

I will read The Black Dossier definitely....

Promethea is one of the greatest things I have ever read...along with From Hell....I need to read the Miracleman series and Moore's Swamp thing, have those as well but haven't gotten to them yet

what do you think of Morrison's Seven Soldiers of Victory?

i've never really gotten into morrison, but i've been meaning to. I will check that out. Promethea was one of moore's i had trouble absorbing myself in but now that it's been a while since i read it i definitly want to revisist it, in fact the Black Dossier has a lot of references to the similar hallucinatory magical world in promethea.

I found Black Dossier to a strong departure from the previous 2, don't go in expecting the same thing. I was kind of happy it wasn't just a new spin on the same concept.

blazing-world.jpg

bonus: the ending is in 3d and there is a great back story to how all the mythical creatures and gods on earth came into existence and how they are related to each other

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

blankets is a masterpiece. everything craig thompson has done is great.

also highly recommend:

chris ware - jimmy corrigan (also his rusty brown stuff in the later acme libraries)

charles burns - black hole

adrian tomine - 32 stories (not a novel a collection but better than everything hes done since)

dash shaw - bodyworld (if its out yet. its all on his website http://www.dashshaw.com/prelude.html and is easily my favorite thing this year)

i'm forgetting alot of people

i enjoyed preacher too. didnt think i would

i also love 100 bullets

GBIII: read The Invisibles man, Morrison's best work that I have read...

We3 is amazing as well....

I hear his newest Batman writing has been really good.....

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch
keep it comin yall

anyone read persepolis? saw the movie and it was great

definitely worth a read, suprisingly engrossing. join a library, thre is much good stuff out there

Guest Mr Salads
People who call comics graphic novels are people who dont read comics

In my experience it's actually completely the opposite. Especially since they aren't exactly the same thing. The analogy I'd make would be comparing a single episode of a television show to a full length film.

In my experience the people who genuinely read and like comics do more than read 'graphic novels'. I think that phrase has only entered the mainstream within the last few years.

I always just thought the term referred to a collected series or a one off that is meant for adults or kids that can handle reading something more intelligent than the average superhero issue....

Guest Mr Salads
I always just thought the term referred to a collected series or a one off that is meant for adults or kids that can handle reading something more intelligent than the average superhero issue....

Thats the thing though. I would argue those kinds of stories arent more "intelligent." Its just elitism because the books are black and white, or tackle a specific subject, etc. So yes you are right, the term does refer to that. But its not an accurate term. Its a term coined by people who want to separate the "grown up" books from the "kids" books because people who read comics are identified as losers. In other words, the people who dont think too fondly of comic books coined the term "graphic novel" to sound like they are more educated and reading stuff that isnt garbage.

People who call comics graphic novels are people who dont read comics

In my experience it's actually completely the opposite. Especially since they aren't exactly the same thing. The analogy I'd make would be comparing a single episode of a television show to a full length film.

In my experience the people who genuinely read and like comics do more than read 'graphic novels'. I think that phrase has only entered the mainstream within the last few years.

Reminds me of when a friend of mine would confuse anime with manga. In that way I'm sure some people confuse graphic novels with comics but your average comic nerd knows the difference because saying they read a graphic novel sounds more grown up/mature than reading a comic book.

Thats the thing though. I would argue those kinds of stories arent more "intelligent." Its just elitism because the books are black and white, or tackle a specific subject, etc. So yes you are right, the term does refer to that. But its not an accurate term. Its a term coined by people who want to separate the "grown up" books from the "kids" books because people who read comics are identified as losers. In other words, the people who dont think too fondly of comic books coined the term "graphic novel" to sound like they are more educated and reading stuff that isnt garbage.

Exactly.

I've only recently been exploring the world of comics/grahic novels. Overall, I've found that the ones with good art (ie, doesn't look like typical comic book style) have boring stories. I don't know how this trend came about but it seems to be the case quite frequently. However, there are plenty of exceptions.

Sandman - I've read at least half of it and it's my favourite by far, absolutely amazing. The art is usually not very pleasing but tells the story well enough.

Persepolis - I loved the film, not quite as keen on the book but worth reading.

Maus - Actually read this years ago, it's fantastic, very well written and one of the exceptions in that it has good art too.

Jimmy Corrigan - another exception to the bad art rule, this has excellent drawings, very cool style. And the story is great... it gets a little boring in the second half because there's a very long flashback, but it's very nicely written.

Arkham Asylum - Great art (Dave McKean is AWESOME) but boring and pointless story.

The Killing Joke - Cool little Batman story. Nothing mind blowing, it's just cool. Have yet to read Dark Knight Returns or Year One so I dunno how it compares.

Zero Girl - I do really wanna read the Maxx, also by Sam Keith, cos I loved the TV show, but haven't got round to it yet. This is a one off and it's pretty sweet! Really weird and cool story with awesome artwork. I didn't like the sequel much tho.

American Splendour - It took me a while to warm up to this but by the end I really liked it. It's a collection of mostly very short slice of life kinda stories based on Harvey Pekar's day to day life. Hardly anything happens in them, and often it left me wondering what attracted the author to record some of the situations, but eventually I sorta "got it"... it really is about appreciating the more mundane side of life... cos now I realise that I have, in my memory little moments like this that aren't significant in any way but just stick with me for some reason.

Persopolis I found very enjoying. Easy to get a cheap copy now the films been out for a while.

I really want to read Blankets, but it's really hard to get hold of in the UK. Can anyone recommend somewhere to get it? It seems to be out of print for ages.

Guest JohnTqs
Persopolis I found very enjoying. Easy to get a cheap copy now the films been out for a while.

I really want to read Blankets, but it's really hard to get hold of in the UK. Can anyone recommend somewhere to get it? It seems to be out of print for ages.

are there barnes and noble in the uk? i was reading blankets at one of there stores over here but didn't buy it. if all else fails go amazon

LOBO

morrision's Doom Patrol and Animal Man

Plastic Man

recently got a couple by ricardo delgado called 'age of reptiles'. no words, just page after page of well-drawn dinosaur-on-dinosaur carnage! (if you're into that sort of thing)

i didn't really like the invisibles

not exactly groundbreaking stuff but I've enjoyed what I've read

lobo! i forgot about lobo

lobo was cool. also it demonstrated bisley was still an impressive artist without the slick airbrush.

Guest JohnTqs

recommend some that have great stories and depth

"comics for intellectuals" i guess

like watchmen

Guest Enter a new display name
blankets is good but considering your other 3 picks its hard to say if you'd like it or not

My last essay for french class was about this graphic novel. I was becoming impatient as it took so much time for Craig to get laid with Raina.

i didn't really like the invisibles

not exactly groundbreaking stuff but I've enjoyed what I've read

The Invisibles is fucking amazing.

Archived