IGNORED

Y'Know, FUCK Pizza

Joyrex

All this talk of pizza (which, despite the thread title, I LOVE pizza) got me thinking about the cheaper, superior and easier alternative - tostadas.

I'm not talking about Taco Bell or some tex-mex takeout, I'm talking about homemade, fresh tostadas. There are an infinite number of variations, and are very inexpensive to make, and easy to prepare.

One variation my wife and I like to make use the following:

1 package of Norteno-style (the orange coloured) tostadas (already crispy, no frying needed)

1 package or head of purple cabbage, shredded

1 can of black refried beans

ground beef (picadillo), or finely chopped chicken ranchero or chopped, grilled, fajita chicken (optional)

white farmers cheese, crumbled (the La Vaquita brand is good)

finely chopped onion (white)

finely chopped cilantro (coriander) leaves

finely diced roma tomatoes

add sour cream (optional)

add your favourite salsa (optional)

You can literally put anything, in any number of combinations, on a tostada - shrimp, carnitas (pork), go vegetarian and don't add any meats (cheaper too), and can be as simple or complex as you like.

bean-tostadas-ck-222265-l.jpg

Anybody got any good, unique, and tasty tostada combinations?

goddammit i wish i knew how to cook i feel like a total outcast now

That's the great thing - tostadas are so easy, you don't need to know how to cook! A tostada recipe can be as simple as this:

Ingredients:

1 can GOYA refried beans

1 package of tostadas (no frying needed)

1 package of white farmer's cheese

1 package of shredded cabbage/lettuce (I prefer cabbage; lettuce can be a bit tasteless unless you use romaine or green leaf or red leaf)

1 bottle of your favourite salsa/hotsauce

2-3 roma tomatoes (or buy pico de gallo (the fresh kind, not in a tomato sauce base)

1 white onion (not needed if you go the pico de gallo route)

finely chop the tomatoes, onion and shred the cabbage (obviously none of this applies if you go with the pre-processed versions of the above ingredients, set aside in bowls. Get a cheese grater (or, if you don't have one, just use your hands) and crumble up the farmer's cheese into a bowl, set aside. Open the can of refried beans, spoon out into a small pot or bowl, and warm on stove, stirring occasionally (or put in microwave for a bit). Warm the tostadas in an oven on a cookie sheet, or directly on the oven rack until warm (do not brown or over heat). You don't have to warm them, but it makes them taste nicer being warm.

Once you have the tostadas warm/ready, take one, smear some refried beans onto it, sprinkle some finely diced onion and tomato on the beans (or, apply a bit of pico de gallo, make sure you drain off any excess liquid), then top with cabbage, and finally some farmer's cheese. Apply your favourite salsa/hotsauce, and repeat for as many as you want to eat. I could make the above (and feed a family) for under 10USD.

Guest tv_party

'tostada' is ruined for me by association with the cardboard greasy cheese covered octagons served in highschool bearing the same name.

hey, Y'Know, FUCK FOOD

WATER IS BASICALLY ALL YOU NEED TO SURVIVE

I DRINK SO MUCH WATER RIGHT NOW, AND I POINT AT THIS THREAD WHILE HASTILY DRINKING WATER

WITH MY EYES SO WIDE, I'M ANXIOUS AND A LITTLE ANGRY!!!

You can drink so much water you essentially poison yourself...

tostadas are the shit though

2nd to double deckers

YES - I was thinking of taking two tostadas, putting some refried beans between them, perhaps with a bit of 4-cheese mix, and then go forward from there - it would address one of my issues with crispy tostadas, is some break to pieces when you bite into them. I sometimes fry my own so they're firm, but soft, and can sorta fold them like tacos when eaten...

Guest Adjective

have you tried a double decker style tostada?

basically just put a bean covered tortilla on the bottom

i usually do a quick toaster ovening to crispify the bottom

'tostada' is ruined for me by association with the cardboard greasy cheese covered octagons served in highschool bearing the same name.

one of my coworkers went on a mission to find these pieces of shit... the whole time i was like whatever dude! he told me he's getting a box mailed to him... i was like "fuck that!"

anyway... i prefer tacos over tostadas!

Guest abracadabra

Oh Joyrex, you may have an interesting informative post, but I just can't get behind this thread with a title like that. Sorry dude.

Sorry, I explained that I really don't feel that way about pizza - it was just a inflammatory lead-in to get people to pay attention.

Archived