IGNORED

it makes me sad I didn't discover electronic music during the 90's

karmakramer

when I listen to the stuff richard was putting out, especially his work on selected ambient vol. 2, I get a specific sensation of that time and place... when computers were just becoming a personal home device, still in their infancy (clunky) and the future was a far more mysterious optimistic place. there is some sort of energy that is in the good electronic music of the 90's... its an energy that will probably never be replicated again... wish I could have experienced it as it happened... wish I had those memories...

damn

when I listen to the stuff richard was putting out, especially his work on selected ambient vol. 2, I get a specific sensation of that time and place...

yeah, I too have this every time I listen to music that's at least a few years old.

when I listened to all of U2s 80s albums, I reckoned Iwas sort of able to imagine how the 80s must have looked like and felt, same goes for the 90s and Radiohead's The Bends and OK Computer. this probably sounds stupid, but this music evokes a sense of nostalgia even though I wasn't there, escapism ftw.

Guest Iain C

Nostalgia for a time you weren't around for is one of the stupidest and most naive things. I can't stand kids today who idolise the hippie era, the punk era, whatever; or Usernames and his immediate distrust of anything modern. Get over it, you're dealing with romanticised, idealised images. Make your own time exciting, because it is.

Guest Iain C

It was the best.

3634.jpg

Dan, there is no limit to the brilliance of your posts. You take no take no take no take no prisoners!

since i got into electronic music in 81 (i was 9 years old), i've lived through a lot of good acts as well as bad... i think the cheesiest electronic music i liked was stuff like "the movement", "james brown is dead", "smartees", "quadrophonia"... stuff like that!

I would go to the record store and listen to the new aphex, just after I finished reading an article about him making his own synths and driving a tank. He was a very mysterious person then. Much more so then now. He played the press so well. The early 90's were better for music all around it was a very exciting time.. Music wasn't some ironic retro throw back like it is now. Or horribly image based. It was all very innocently forward thinking and inclusive. Not just electronic music.

93-94 was a magical time in music for my group of friends. it was like no one had realized what you could accomplish with electronic instruments and the whole Warp scene just dropped on our heads.

Guest narkeworld

Nostalgia for a time you weren't around for is one of the stupidest and most naive things. I can't stand kids today who idolise the hippie era, the punk era, whatever; or Usernames and his immediate distrust of anything modern. Get over it, you're dealing with romanticised, idealised images. Make your own time exciting, because it is.

I got into 808 State in 1989 and Aphex in 1993 there hasn't been anything as cool as that time period since then really, the 90's were really, really good for ambient techno, armchair techno, IDM, electronica, whatever you want to call it. I'm 35 and I was there when the original IDM thing happened and it is/was just about the best, if not the best, I'm so glad I'm 35 and not somebody who discovered Aphex in the 2000's, KarmaKramer is pretty much on the money with his view. I'm really into Stockhausen, Xenakis, and Tietchens now (so these are good times as well but...), I still am really into "IDM" but pre-96 Aphex has not been bettered, trust me. ABB3, Caustic Window, Polygon Window, ABB4, Jesus!! Old Rephlex, the first Chris Jeffs stuff, Bochum Welt, the first Mu-Ziqs, Bradley Strider.......My God what good times. + all the wicked IDM/ambient techno labels New Electronica, A13, Warp, Clear, FAX, B12, A.R.T., G.P.R., etc. It was just brilliant then.

I was there. You're right, you really missed out.

Yes!! :)

I got into 808 State in 1989 and Aphex in 1993 there hasn't been anything as cool as that time period since then really, the 90's were really, really good for ambient techno, armchair techno, IDM, electronica, whatever you want to call it. I'm 35 and I was there when the original IDM thing happened and it is/was just about the best, if not the best, I'm so glad I'm 35 and not somebody who discovered Aphex in the 2000's, KarmaKramer is pretty much on the money with his view. I'm really into Stockhausen, Xenakis, and Tietchens now (so these are good times as well but...), I still am really into "IDM" but pre-96 Aphex has not been bettered, trust me. ABB3, Caustic Window, Polygon Window, ABB4, Jesus!! Old Rephlex, the first Chris Jeffs stuff, Bochum Welt, the first Mu-Ziqs, Bradley Strider.......My God what good times. + all the wicked IDM/ambient techno labels New Electronica, A13, Warp, Clear, FAX, B12, A.R.T., G.P.R., etc. It was just brilliant then.

I was there. You're right, you really missed out.

Yes!! :)

yeah... when i first discovered aphex back in 93, i immediately discontinued to listen to all those cheesy artists i mentioned in my earlier posts... i discovered fsol, the orb, and plastikman around the same time, so i still hold those artists in high regard as well. since 93 i think the only artists i've been floored by were autechre and antipop consortium!

I'm 35, I too started out with 808 state before aphex in 92. I've always lived in England, as

was on the border with Cornwall from 93 to 97. computers weren't as advanced, sure, but

there was more of a synth / dat / sequencer / Roland feel than computers, besides those that used

amigas. the atmosphere and sense of rapid progress, variety, imagination was immense and

less easily grasped than it seems to be today. lived it, but feel warp lost it post 98 and a sense of progression

and value in electronica started to go around 96, for me.

Guest beatfanatic

right but dressing like one isn't stupid whatsoever...

Guest Iain C

right but dressing like one isn't stupid whatsoever...

What are you on about? I dress like a hippie or a punk? Just lol.

Guest jubes

the inferior man always dwells on the past

Archived