IGNORED

Back On Chrome 3.0

Joyrex

I use the developer versions of Chrome, and a few updates ago, Chrome at work stopped working - it wouldn't load any page, giving me an odd error:

Error 0 (net::OK): Unknown error.

I was busy at the time, so I went ahead and started using Safari 4 (really good browser, second only to Chrome IMO), and I got used to things, but still missed being able to search in the address bar (how I ever lived without that is beyond me). Anyways, I Googled the error message, and apparently if you're behind a proxy like I am at work, you need to uncheck "automatically detect proxy settings" (Chrome uses Windows' Internet Options panel) and it works now - of course, you have to make sure you have a path to your company's proxy script, otherwise this will NOT work.

Just thought I'd post in case anyone else tried Chrome DEV, and gave up because it couldn't connect.

Chrome is still blazingly fast, hence my switching back.

I got used to things, but still missed being able to search in the address bar (how I ever lived without that is beyond me).

something people NEVER seem to get is you have been able to do this in firefox for ages now.

do it, launch a fresh install of firefox 2.0 and type watmm in the address bar

that being said, i would no more return from chrome to firefox than i would from firefox to IE

i've been on chome since day one. never looked back. always on dev channel.

it's true firefox also has search from address bar (i really got used to it before i found chrome), but while auto-redirecting to the first high-ranked search hit seems like a nice idea, it really bothered me sometimes. sometimes you just want to see google results!

it is a great browswer - but it seems to fuck up fubar when i'm playing tunes. load a page and it makes the audio glitch.

having said that this laptop is running on full captain, she canny take any more.

• 2 weeks later...

My damn company keeps resetting the "Automatically Detect Proxy Settings" checkbox in Windows Internet Options, so Chrome keeps breaking from time to time. Guess it's back to Safari until some permanent workaround can be found.

why is it, that when i'm running chrome, that it shows up as 2 processes in my task manager, both called Chrome.exe.

and both using between 10mb and 25mb of ram ?

If i open a new tab, a third instance of chrome appears in task manager, using a further 15mb

what is that all about?

why is it, that when i'm running chrome, that it shows up as 2 processes in my task manager, both called Chrome.exe.

and both using between 10mb and 25mb of ram ?

If i open a new tab, a third instance of chrome appears in task manager, using a further 15mb

what is that all about?

That's because each tab runs as a separate process, so if one page goes tits up, it doesn't take all your other tabs with it.

My damn company keeps resetting the "Automatically Detect Proxy Settings" checkbox in Windows Internet Options, so Chrome keeps breaking from time to time. Guess it's back to Safari until some permanent workaround can be found.

write your own user script to set it back.

write your own user script to set it back.

Not worth the effort, frankly.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

firefox is awful at work, windows xp.

firefox at home is speedy in terms of page load and application responsiveness, linux.

are there adblock plus, noscript, and betterprivacy add-ons for chrome?

There's Incognito Windows, similar to Safari's "Private browsing" feature, and Chrome (for now) only supports addons in the Dev versions.

I don't know why everyone's hung up on adblock, etc. - is it just I don't visit sites with annoying ads that often? I never really have an issue with ads or popups...

There's Incognito Windows, similar to Safari's "Private browsing" feature, and Chrome (for now) only supports addons in the Dev versions.

I don't know why everyone's hung up on adblock, etc. - is it just I don't visit sites with annoying ads that often? I never really have an issue with ads or popups...

yeah, me neither. i always hated the idea of a plugin messing with what parts of website are displayed.

but i guess once you get used to it, it's hard to come back to the ads again.

yeah, me neither. i always hated the idea of a plugin messing with what parts of website are displayed.

but i guess once you get used to it, it's hard to come back to the ads again.

Well, that's the thing - they never really bothered me to begin with!

Archived