IGNORED

fucking apple

Guest zaphod

i bought an ipod classic less than a month ago. last week i started to have issues with the headphone jack where i could only hear one channel. i tested out various headphones and they all had the same issue, so i sent the ipod in for repairs. i figured this was covered under the basic warranty. they send this thing back to me and say there's "liquid damage", which i don't understand because it's never been near a liquid. this was a 250 dollar product that is now completely useless, and apple are trying to charge me 100 dollars in "diagnostic fees" to repair it. fucking terrible company, between this and my overheating powerbook i'm done with them.

blast the headphone hole with compressed air.

i've been an apple user since before the internet - my first one was a centris 610a few months ago when flash put out a new update, i wasn't (and still am not) able to listen to music on myspace or watch video on huluso i went to update, but flash said i need the new operating systemi can't get the new operating system because i have a g4so i went into the apple store and told them this, and asked the guy what should i do. he stuck his thumb over his should and motioned "throw it out"i purposefully bought the best computer available at the time so it would work for a while. and besides this it does work fine stilli have a powerbook g4 1ghz with 1gb of ram and you're telling me its not good enough to use for the internet?!really apple?

Flash is an Adobe product.

ipod had rubbish sound quality and died after 18 months.

this is just plain garbage. the ipod sounds just as good as your media sounds. either you have shit headphones or shitty compression on your mp3s. get it sorted.

Stick to the flash based iPods to avoid hard drive problems. Anyone else here have Apple TV? I got one modded with a 320gb drive, boxee, and XBMC and I fucking love it. Been rentng entire seasons of tv shows and ripping them, it's awesome to have a media library that big on demand, plus renting hi def movies and playing my entire iTunes library on the home theater is sweet as well.

apple puts out fantastic products (do you really think that the vast majority of computer musicians, designers, etc. choose apple because it's a trendy company?), although they occasionally break down. but that's how electronics tend to go. apple care gives you peace of mind, so get it.

my only gripe with the ipod/itunes system is that itunes is a little bloated, and the mp3s you buy from apple are (were) drm protected. iRiver and cowon give you more flexibility, and in some sense, they're more of a musician's unit (the built in field recording capabilities are especially great), but the ipod is very well put together, it rarely has problems, and its design/interface is nearly flawless.

go ipod!

shoulda got a cowon or something

I really want to agree with this since I like they way they operate (drive letter access, etc.), though unfortunately their manufacturing is cheap shite. I owned and iAudio g3 & an iAudio 7, both of which broke were rendered useless in less than a year - in both cases the play/pause button suddenly lost it's clickiness and stopped working. From what I've read this failure is quite common too

shoulda got a cowon or something

I really want to agree with this since I like they way they operate (drive letter access, etc.), though unfortunately their manufacturing is cheap shite. I owned and iAudio g3 & an iAudio 7, both of which broke were rendered useless in less than a year - in both cases the play/pause button suddenly lost it's clickiness and stopped working. From what I've read this failure is quite common too

this happened to me as well. i also lost the up/down functionality on my little joystick, so every (unnavigable) song had to play at MAX volume. other than this fatal flaw, it was a fantastic player. everything about it made good, intuitive sense, and its capabilities outstripped those of the ipod.

its cheap design was its downfall, although the hard disk was encased in a pretty sturdy metal.

i've owned two apple computers and gone through about four ipods. every thing i've bought has broken with the exception of the G4 i'm typing this on, which admittedly has been a very good computer. i'm just very dissatisfied with the fact that a basic warranty doesn't cover an internal issue in the ipod. but as chaosmachine pointed out, the whole liquid sensor thing sounds like a scam and an excuse to not have to repair it under warranty, which is ridiculous. the main issues i've had have always been with ipods, unfortunately there aren't any real alternatives for mp3 players.

Guest Al Hounos

i can't speak for reliability as i've only had my Cowon S9 for a few weeks, but even if it didn't have a user-customizable Flash-based interface and a beautiful AMOLED screen, its incredible sound quality (as good as my computer with an external DAC) and FLAC support make it 1000x better than any iPod.

Guest ezkerraldean

unfortunately there aren't any real alternatives for mp3 players.

why? i don't see what makes ipods so good. my old iriver was fucking awesome. had a radio too, no ipod has that.

apple puts out fantastic products (do you really think that the vast majority of computer musicians, designers, etc. choose apple because it's a trendy company?), although they occasionally break down. but that's how electronics tend to go. apple care gives you peace of mind, so get it.

the only reason that Apple became an industry standard player in the music world is because of Emagic.

when C-Lab was making Notator and Creator for the Atari ST range of computers, they were the industry standard music sequencer at the time. then some of the coders inside C-Lab had an internal spat and some of them split off to make Emagic. they made Logic for the Atari, and this was making headways into the industry. then shortly after Logic 2.5 was released, Atari announced their departure from the computer business to concentrate on the video game market. by this point Emagic already had versions of Logic for the Atari, Macintosh and Windows platforms. since the Atari was already a well established platform in the music industry and the closest thing to the Atari GUI was the Macintosh, most studios and musicians went with the Macintosh. they didn't need to completely re-learn the paradigms of an "alien" operating system.

most musicians, especially at the time, were not computer savvy. they'd already invested a lot of time and effort into learning how to use the Atari and navigate around the screen etc. so they went to the closest system.

i have a fairly long history of using Apple products. i was once rather the Mac zealot. after having every device i've ever bought from them fail (all the computers dying of the same fault too), my faith in Apple products has been completely diminished. and before someone pipes up with a comment about me pushing the systems too hard - i didn't.

i've been an apple user since before the internet - my first one was a centris 610

a few months ago when flash put out a new update, i wasn't (and still am not) able to listen to music on myspace or watch video on hulu

so i went to update, but flash said i need the new operating system

i can't get the new operating system because i have a g4

so i went into the apple store and told them this, and asked the guy what should i do. he stuck his thumb over his should and motioned "throw it out"

i purposefully bought the best computer available at the time so it would work for a while. and besides this it does work fine still

i have a powerbook g4 1ghz with 1gb of ram and you're telling me its not good enough to use for the internet?!

really apple?

You're working on a 6 year old computer and wondering why you're having problems with modern software?

Computer cycles are 4 years at best. (i think the science is comp tech doubles every 6 months?)

Buying the "best computer" isn't for longevity, it's for the progs you want to run at the time. I bought the top of line macbook pro last month because I need afterFX/final cut/motion/maya otherwise I'd go with the baseline macbook, either one I chose I'd expect to have the same lifespan, and that wouldn't be 5 years.

i have a square wave like love/hate relationship with apple

Ditto.

i intensely dislike them for how itunes and ipods are extremely restricted e.g. with connecting ipods to multiple machines, how shit is copy protected and how you can't get things from itunes stores in different countries and shit. basically i hate their anti piracy things, because i enjoy pirating things lol

also apple computer hardware pisses me off in that it's not modular and customizable. it just comes in a big box that you're not supposed to open up and tinker with. that's boring.

having said all that i've never owned a single apple product ever, despite working for them at one point lol

iTunes is frustrating in its limitations. Beyond the copyright nonsense their song quality sucks, as does the built in mp3 converter. And it won't let you play .flac. But oh well, this is what stores like bleep are for so whatevs.

I can't say I hate Apple, I just hate idiots who don't know shit about computers praise it and put the stickers on their cars.

i bought an ipod classic less than a month ago. last week i started to have issues with the headphone jack where i could only hear one channel. i tested out various headphones and they all had the same issue, so i sent the ipod in for repairs. i figured this was covered under the basic warranty. they send this thing back to me and say there's "liquid damage", which i don't understand because it's never been near a liquid. this was a 250 dollar product that is now completely useless, and apple are trying to charge me 100 dollars in "diagnostic fees" to repair it. fucking terrible company, between this and my overheating powerbook i'm done with them.

blast the headphone hole with compressed air.

i've been an apple user since before the internet - my first one was a centris 610a few months ago when flash put out a new update, i wasn't (and still am not) able to listen to music on myspace or watch video on huluso i went to update, but flash said i need the new operating systemi can't get the new operating system because i have a g4so i went into the apple store and told them this, and asked the guy what should i do. he stuck his thumb over his should and motioned "throw it out"i purposefully bought the best computer available at the time so it would work for a while. and besides this it does work fine stilli have a powerbook g4 1ghz with 1gb of ram and you're telling me its not good enough to use for the internet?!really apple?

Flash is an Adobe product.

ipod had rubbish sound quality and died after 18 months.

this is just plain garbage. the ipod sounds just as good as your media sounds. either you have shit headphones or shitty compression on your mp3s. get it sorted.

ive used an enormous amount of headphones from anywhere between 10 quid to 100, and on a variety of mp3 players, the bass quality an ipod produces is fucking appauling compared to, for example, the sony walkman one im using at the moment.

Guest ezkerraldean

I can't say I hate Apple, I just hate idiots who don't know shit about computers praise it and put the stickers on their cars.

haha, one of my mates is like that. bones apple and hates pc and will never hear a word otherwise, but he's a computational tard and can never actually support his applefascist ramblings.

unfortunately there aren't any real alternatives for mp3 players.

why? i don't see what makes ipods so good. my old iriver was fucking awesome. had a radio too, no ipod has that.

The new Nanos have an FM Tuner (finally) built in... but only the Nanos.

I had to get a new laptop a few months ago because the screen on my last one sprung a leak and fried the motherboard.

I took it to the Apple Store and they said they couldn't do anything because the warranty is up. What the fuck?! It's a faulty product, they should replace it!

i can't speak for reliability as i've only had my Cowon S9 for a few weeks, but even if it didn't have a user-customizable Flash-based interface and a beautiful AMOLED screen, its incredible sound quality (as good as my computer with an external DAC) and FLAC support make it 1000x better than any iPod.

The Cowon can only hold up to 999 files regardless of hard-drive space though, that's the huge flaw with Cowon products.

Creative Zens are a better alternative to iPods for sure.

i'll look into it. the main draw was having a 120 gig hard drive in an mp3 player. i think i might just go back to listening to music exclusively at home.

Guest Al Hounos

The Cowon can only hold up to 999 files regardless of hard-drive space though, that's the huge flaw with Cowon products.

Creative Zens are a better alternative to iPods for sure.

I don't think that's really a problem anymore... at least not for the S9. I've got over 3000 files on mine.

Archived