IGNORED

Are you a pacifist?

Siegecow

to those of you who would only fight in self defense: whats enough to justify you fighting back? life or death situation? slap on the face? some guy throwin punches? hittin on your girlfriend?

what about politics? Same thing? Only for self defence? Pre-emptive strikes ok?

Assessing the situation accurately is a far more important skill than brute strength

I don't like fighting but occasionally I end up in one, in drunk situations.. I'm never the attacker.

It's not something I'm proud of but I also think it's important to learn a good ol' fight won't break you.

to those of you who would only fight in self defense: whats enough to justify you fighting back? life or death situation? slap on the face? some guy throwin punches? hittin on your girlfriend?

what about politics? Same thing? Only for self defence? Pre-emptive strikes ok?

Assessing the situation accurately is a far more important skill than brute strength

You're either 80 years old or a woman.

REAL MEN fight and they don't give a shit about the consequences.

I think of myself as a pacifist but I get pretty worked up sometimes.

I almost got into a fight a few weeks back and I secretly, really wanted it to happen.

If you care to read what happened, read the spoiler. It really isn't that exciting...

I was stressed out due to work and was at a friend's birthday party at some trendy bar in Manhattan. I don't drink either, so it wasn't the alcohol. At some point, this younger guy who was bigger than me and totally hammered sat down in my girlfriend's chair while we were standing. MY GF and I introduced ourselves politely like would normally do and we continued mingling or whatever... Read more. At some point, this dude interrupts me and says "I don't like your shirt". It was loud inside and I thought I may have misheard him, so I asked "what?". He then said " I don't like your shirt. It's not a problem with your shirt, there's nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't work on you you should try to steer away from plaid in the future." The thing is, he said it in a very confrontational manner and it seemed like he was trying to start something for some unknown reason. I replied "I don't give a shit what the fuck you think of my shirt and frankly, I think it's very rude of you to say something like that to a compete stranger. Good job buddy." then I patted his shoulder and returned to my conversation. At this point, I kinda expected things to get physical but he got up after a minute and walked away. It turned out it was this dude's birthday and he was a friend of my friend who was celebrating a joint birthday with him, so about all of my friends knew this guy. Before I know it, my friends are all coming up to me and apologizing for his behavior. I kept an eye on him for a while as he sot of came and went and came back. My one friend then asked him to say he was sorry. At first, he told my friend he was only talking about my shirt and didn't say anything about me, personally. Then he agreed to say he was sorry if my friend acknowledged that it was his birthday, to which he did. After a moment of silence he said "I'm sorry..." to which I stretched out my hand, and then he finished "... I don't like your shirt". My GF then started cussing him out about how that wasn't a valid apology. He then said something like "I'm sorry I think your shirt doesn't look good". My GF continued to yell and swear at him so I tried to calm her down so she wouldn't get caught in the middle of something. I think one of his friends may have told him what to say and then he said "I'm sorry I said I didn't like your shirt". I figured this was the best I would get so I thanked him and after about 15 minutes of him watching him lurk around I went home angry.

For the record. The shirt looked good on me. My girlfriend said so.

:ok:

I think I just have a large reserve of pent up anger that needs to get out if I don't express it the right way.

I do strongly believe in fighting in self-defense.

I definitely don't believe in war.

Guest abusivegeorge

wat about Hitler, wud u fight him lol

If you ahve a penis I'd like to see you use it.

Lol, indeed. I would fight Hitler.

I believe it was essentially a matter of self defense for us and the world as a whole.

I don't believe in bullshit like what we did in Viet Nam and Iraq. That was just bullshit.

I'm an expert on this issue, btw.

Guest abusivegeorge

If you ahve a penis I'd like to see you use it.

pacifism dies when my dick gets hard

Thankyou.

I think of myself as a pacifist but I get pretty worked up sometimes.

I almost got into a fight a few weeks back and I secretly, really wanted it to happen.

If you care to read what happened, read the spoiler. It really isn't that exciting...

I was stressed out due to work and was at a friend's birthday party at some trendy bar in Manhattan. I don't drink either, so it wasn't the alcohol. At some point, this younger guy who was bigger than me and totally hammered sat down in my girlfriend's chair while we were standing. MY GF and I introduced ourselves politely like would normally do and we continued mingling or whatever... Read more. At some point, this dude interrupts me and says "I don't like your shirt". It was loud inside and I thought I may have misheard him, so I asked "what?". He then said " I don't like your shirt. It's not a problem with your shirt, there's nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't work on you you should try to steer away from plaid in the future." The thing is, he said it in a very confrontational manner and it seemed like he was trying to start something for some unknown reason. I replied "I don't give a shit what the fuck you think of my shirt and frankly, I think it's very rude of you to say something like that to a compete stranger. Good job buddy." then I patted his shoulder and returned to my conversation. At this point, I kinda expected things to get physical but he got up after a minute and walked away. It turned out it was this dude's birthday and he was a friend of my friend who was celebrating a joint birthday with him, so about all of my friends knew this guy. Before I know it, my friends are all coming up to me and apologizing for his behavior. I kept an eye on him for a while as he sot of came and went and came back. My one friend then asked him to say he was sorry. At first, he told my friend he was only talking about my shirt and didn't say anything about me, personally. Then he agreed to say he was sorry if my friend acknowledged that it was his birthday, to which he did. After a moment of silence he said "I'm sorry..." to which I stretched out my hand, and then he finished "... I don't like your shirt". My GF then started cussing him out about how that wasn't a valid apology. He then said something like "I'm sorry I think your shirt doesn't look good". My GF continued to yell and swear at him so I tried to calm her down so she wouldn't get caught in the middle of something. I think one of his friends may have told him what to say and then he said "I'm sorry I said I didn't like your shirt". I figured this was the best I would get so I thanked him and after about 15 minutes of him watching him lurk around I went home angry.

For the record. The shirt looked good on me. My girlfriend said so.

:ok:

I think I just have a large reserve of pent up anger that needs to get out if I don't express it the right way.

I do strongly believe in fighting in self-defense.

ahahahaah. man that guy was a real piece of work. Total passive aggressive dickweed.

Fighting is definitely deeply embedded in the male psyche, i think its something that needs to happen for everyone. Standing up for yourself is a part of developing confidence. Though like sex, if you let agression control you, it becomes a weakness. Defending yourself in a life or death situation seems obvious, but i seriously doubt that i'd fight back against an assailant under any circumstance besides matters of life or death.

Guest abusivegeorge

There are people on watmm who cannot even have an internet conversation without getting so wound up they resort to aggresion and violence through the fucking internet, let alone real life. It's called being a massive dick, and these people get batterred IRL, because deep down they are scared.

Guest Calx Sherbet

i can't outsmart anyone, nor can i fight (at least i assume i can't, i never have tried). i can't run too fast either. ami fucked for life?

Guest abusivegeorge

i can't outsmart anyone, nor can i fight (at least i assume i can't, i never have tried). i can't run too fast either. ami fucked for life?

Pretty much mate yeah, unless you have a tortoise shell and can just hop inside it.

no you're not fucked, that's what agoraphobia and computers were invented for

join a gym? learn martial arts?

its almost like its magic :sorcerer:

or get a gun :sleep:

My experience with pacifism is quite traumatic. In high school (and before) I nurtured my hatred towards some people. Mostly towards chavs and others that were doing or looked like they would act in violend behavior. I had some close experiences with such people and I kinda wanted to wipe them out and I fantasized almost everyday how that would work out. Like shooting them or hurting them in this and that way and stuff. In the end I ended up with my hatred wasting a part of my inside and also making me fear those people, while they actually never did anything to me.

A few years ago I changed my philosophy from "getting power to strike back" to "getting power to be able to understand" and not being forced to think violently. The real power is when you don't need to show it off or something and it kinda works for me psychologically. So these days I rather try to figure out why people act as they do and how to guide them to free anger themselves, like showing them peace actually is more satisfying than violence, as violence is mostly just a primal responce to fear or general trauma buried somewhere deep inside us. If you work on yourself you figure out that all hatred starts from fear of one sort or another.

So I wanna be a pacifist, at least more than in the past.

Archived