IGNORED

Mars

data

Guest ezkerraldean

where is the water?

lol, i literally just finished writing an article about that. it's all either in permafrost or it fucked off into space

i basically do my degree solely on mars now

is that second picture Endurance crater or Victoria crater? the Opportunity rover went to it

Guest ezkerraldean
i basically do my degree solely on mars now

can you write down what do you study? I am quite interested..it must be something cool when you can spend whole year writing about mars...

4th year of a degree in Earth and Planetary Sciences (although i'll be only 1 of 2 people at my uni to ever be awarded that degree - mine was the first year they ran the course and it was pulled the year afterwards. wtf)

up until this year it's mainly been geophysics though, which is fairly boring

Guest ezkerraldean

Athabasca Valles - big North Sea-sized volcanism-triggered flooding event, sometime within the last 30 million years, formed all this shit

PSP_010045_1880_RED.thumb.jpg

channelA.jpg

is that second picture Endurance crater or Victoria crater? the Opportunity rover went to it

it's the victoria crater, here's some rover tracks:

m09_39541780.jpg

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I'm too sleep deprived to investigate why these pictures look so crazy so for now I'm just gonna assume NASA has got adobe photoshop PSBoner V666.3311#4

m13_77262565.jpg

are these real? they look so cgi'd

They're real, but the colours have been tinkered with.

Since 2006, NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) has been orbiting Mars, currently circling approximately 300 km (187 mi) above the Martian surface. On board the MRO is HiRISE, the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment camera, which has been photographing the planet for several years now at resolutions as fine as mere inches per pixel. Collected here is a group of images from HiRISE over the past few years, in either false color or grayscale, showing intricate details of landscapes both familiar and alien, from the surface of our neighboring planet, Mars. I invite you to take your time looking through these, imagining the settings - very cold, dry and distant, yet real.

Archived