IGNORED

750ml bottles of beer

Fred McGriff

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a double whopper with cheese for lunch and that's sorted me out a bit. Trouble is I just want to go to bed now.

Just back from a college trip. Lived off Mc D's and Burger King for 4 days. Not as fun as it sounds, you cant help but pass out after your meal.

I just picked up some 750ml bottles of beer at the liquor store. Right now I'm about to crack open a bottle of corsendonk abbey brown ale, pictured here:

corsendonk.jpg

I also had a chance to meet the founder and the brewmaster of boulevard brewing company this weekend and had some of their smokestack series beer. they were extremely, extremely delicious. a revelation in beer for me. and salt of the earth people, too. so I picked up a "double wide" and a "saison brett," which i sill consume later.

Boulevard.JPG

61449.jpg

beers that come in 750ml bottles.

FRED! Double Wide is fucking amazing! One of my favorite beers ever. The Saison is good, but I love IPA's so much...

in aus you can get basically every beer in 750ml form (longnecks, longies etc)

is this as common in the rest of the world?

in america they sell six packs of miller high life with empty 750ml bottles so you can fill up if you want to impress your friends

my favourites in the 22-24 variety

3456649477_e298fde9a1.jpg

Ninkasi_Tricerahops.jpg

ninkasi makes a mean brew!

Damn, I really want to try that ninkasi... Never seen it anywhere around ehre. Where's it brewed?

edit: read the label...

hey --- you around right now? i just opened up my double wide and it seems flat. is it supposed to have a big head or something? there wasn't much action when i uncorked it either. dunno... tastes good though. just flat.

put a Corsendonk on it!

do a barrel-aged roll!

lol

i think i just realized that i don't like talking about stuff that i'm passionate about (like beer) because it's so personal to me and i get overly enthusiastic about it to the point that i start to think that no one else understands how amazing it really is.

i've had a few, by the way. don't mind me.

just for the sake of conversation, tonight i am drinking Unibroue: La Fin Du Monde, Unibroue: Moudite, Duvel and Stella Artois

There's free beer at a Belgian brewery in Liege/Luik tomorrow:

(in dutch:)

http://www.nu.nl/economie/2165674/belgische-stakers-delen-gratis-bier.html

(googlated into engrish:)

http://translate.google.nl/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nu.nl%2Feconomie%2F2165674%2Fbelgische-stakers-delen-gratis-bier.html&sl=nl&tl=en

On a side note,

i do believe, how you say? i'm putting a "donk" on it right now?

*swirls goblet*

Seems like Korg had the "Donc" covered back in '63.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg#Timeline_of_major_products

Timeline of major products

* 1963 - Donca-Matic DA-20

* 1966 - Donca-Matic DE-20

this is all i drink when i drink beer. just belgian trappist shit and the various abbey ales. right now i'm drinking this:

598_Chimay.JPG

you have great taste my friend....that's the only shit i drink too!

Chimay Blue, Duvel, Piraat, Delirium Tremens....

There's nothing better than Belgian Ales....

I tried a few bombs over the weekend:

Dogfish Head - World Wide Stout - I split a 12oz bottle with a friend of mine. I sipped gingerly at the first half while it was cold then got destroyed by the 18% ABV when I let the last of it reach room temperature. Quite a treat... never had anything that strong in a beer before.

Alpine Brewing - Good - I have never had a Barleywine from Alpine before but they make some of the best IPAs I have ever had, like the Bad Boy, Pure Hoppiness, and Exponential Hoppiness. This also packed a strong punch of 17% ABV. Overall not the best barleywine I have had... it was far too sweet with a molasses-like mouthfull, though the sweetness masked the alcohol well, it just lacked some chest hair and got even sweeter as it warmed.

put a Corsendonk on it!

do a barrel-aged roll!

lol

I miss the use of the word gusto in beer descriptions. In the 70's and 80's beer was all about having gusto, if you didn't have it, then you didn't have shit.

well i found this great bar in edinburgh doing exactly what i said was missing in the UK market. it's called the brauhaus and stocks about 350 lager/beers from around the world including quite a few from america... of which i tried sierra nevada bigfoot and an F/D old scratch amber. pretty nice but the best i had that night were the german wheat beers (my favourite of the night was Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier - so tasty).

i took a pic of the menu's US beers to see if any of you american guys recognise any of them...

10ye4g7.jpg

holyshit was i drunk, some of these beers are a crazy strength (but no hangover in the morning at all!)

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier

That stuff is dangerously good. Just six or seven and you're completely pissed innit.

+ 4 pints guinness before cinema, half bottle of red wine and 2 tsing tao with chinese hotpot.

i was royally pissed in a great kind of pissed way.

http://www.southerntierbrewing.com/beers.html

they have a lot of good beers, but their heavy as shit imperial stouts are where it's at. their oatmeal stout, choklat, java and creme brulee are world class beers.

i need to find some fantastic belgian ales though. i've been quite into heavier belgians lately, but it seems to be i either love or hate them.

Good beers on that list, keltoi --

Flying Dog and Victory are so-so breweries -- not shitty, but not as good as others.

My two top picks would be Goose Island's Matilda (lighter, Belgian-style ale) and the Left Hand Milk or Imperial Stout -- some solid-snake-out-your-ass shit there! ... in a good way!

Archived