IGNORED

tuna (US - toona)

keltoi

i just had tinned tuna, sweetcorn, rocket and mayo on sesame bread, which i made at home... it was amazingly tasty but i realised i'd never order tuna from a sandwich shop for some reason, i'm not exactly sure why... maybe it just doesn't look very nice to my eyes, when sitting next to some nice juicy ham or succulent chicken in the shop.

i make a mean tuna(tinned) pasta too.

also possibly worthy of a mention while discussing tuna is that i don't like proper tuna steak at all, even though it can look pretty appealing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i cant stand the smell of tuna let alone eat the shit

fuck you keltoi, fuck you in the ear

lol

:smears tuna in ears:

i hate it

but tinned tuna is one of the cheapest, easiest and amazingly tasty foods ever. how can you hate on tuna?

actually had tuna noodle casserole for dinner last night. it is ok i suppose, but always a reminder that things are tight. solid white albacore is a little better than your standard issue cat food, and what is even better than that is the stuff that comes in a seal pack or bag rather than a can.

of course fresh tuna like steaks and what is used in sushi is great, and comparing that to canned tuna is like comparing a beef hot dog to prime rib.

canned white tuna, with minced celery and pickle, some mayonnaise and maybe a few capers… mmmmm

if I could eat that as often as I’d like, I’d end up as mad as a hatter (or maybe just as mad as Jeremy Piven) due to the elevated levels of mercury in canned tuna. :sad:

(dolphins are cute when they swim with their friends the tunas)

tuna2.jpg

I love tuna. Tuna sushi, canned tuna, tuna steak... You name it. I aspire to get mercury poisoning, too.

I have a great "recipie" I invented that I've made a few dozen times. It's for when you're broke and you want a fancy meal. I'll try my best to describe:

I call this my Tuna Suprise

(serves 2 with slight chance of leftovers)

1 LARGE can (or 3 regular sized cans) of tuna in oil... Not water

-1 half box of pasta (any kind will do, I usually use rotini but whatever you got works)

- a butt-load (4 tablespoons? You really can't add too much of this stuff) of fresh Rosemary (dried works too)

-1 half-stick o butter

-1 lemon

-1 package of fresh spinach

-salt

-2-3 cloves of finely chopped garlic

-olive oil

-large pot

-regular frying pan

-wooden spoon or spatula for stirring

-start cooking the pasta with a bit of Rosemary, salt and olive oil in the water.

- drain majority of oil from canned tuna

- heat pan on medium heat with about a tablespoon of butter and a splash of olive oil. Add tuna.

- quickly chop about 3 tablespoons of Rosemary. Add to and stir into tuna.

- the tuna should sautee in butter, olive oil and Rosemary. It starts out kinda pink and greys as it cooks. This is fine bit try not to cook it too rapidly. I've found the best results are when you stack the tuna into a little "puck" in the middle of the pan and occasionally (let's say every 2 minutes) stir it up and reform the puck shape. The idea with the puck is it kinda steams inside and doesn't heat through too quickly.

- it's a good idea, after the tuna looks like it has all changed from pink to grey, to change from medium to low heat. Again, you don't want to overcook the tuna so if it is steaming or bubbling a lot, reduce the heat to keep tuna moist.

- If the tuna starts to look like dry, add a little splash of olive oil and add teaspoon or two of butter. You can repeat this as many times as necessary.

- it will start smelling heavenly as you pasta is about finished. At this point you should start tasting the tuna and adding your desired amount of salt. When adding salt, stir it into tuna well.

- when the pasta is about done, add and stir in half of the chopped fresh garlic to tuna. Try to keep the garlic from getting too thoroughly cooked.

- Once you've addded the garlic, if your pasta is done, you can drain the pasta.

- turn off heat on tuna.

- now you can stir the cooked tuna and remaining chopped garlic into the pasta. I usually add another spash of olive oil, or two to the mixed tuna/pasta.

- put a large handfull of fresh spinach on a plate and cover it with pasta/tuna.

- slice lemon into quaters and squeeze one quarter of lemon's juice over each plate. Ready to serve.

I love tuna. Tuna sushi, canned tuna, tuna steak... You name it. I aspire to get mercury poisoning, too.

I have a great "recipie" I invented that I've made a few dozen times. It's for when you're broke and you want a fancy meal. I'll try my best to describe:

I call this my Tuna Suprise

(serves 2 with slight chance of leftovers)

1 LARGE can (or 3 regular sized cans) of tuna in oil... Not water

-1 half box of pasta (any kind will do, I usually use rotini but whatever you got works)

- a butt-load (4 tablespoons? You really can't add too much of this stuff) of fresh Rosemary (dried works too)

-1 half-stick o butter

-1 lemon

-1 package of fresh spinach

-salt

-2-3 cloves of finely chopped garlic

-olive oil

-large pot

-regular frying pan

-wooden spoon or spatula for stirring

-start cooking the pasta with a bit of Rosemary, salt and olive oil in the water.

- drain majority of oil from canned tuna

- heat pan on medium heat with about a tablespoon of butter and a splash of olive oil. Add tuna.

- quickly chop about 3 tablespoons of Rosemary. Add to and stir into tuna.

- the tuna should sautee in butter, olive oil and Rosemary. It starts out kinda pink and greys as it cooks. This is fine bit try not to cook it too rapidly. I've found the best results are when you stack the tuna into a little "puck" in the middle of the pan and occasionally (let's say every 2 minutes) stir it up and reform the puck shape. The idea with the puck is it kinda steams inside and doesn't heat through too quickly.

- it's a good idea, after the tuna looks like it has all changed from pink to grey, to change from medium to low heat. Again, you don't want to overcook the tuna so if it is steaming or bubbling a lot, reduce the heat to keep tuna moist.

- If the tuna starts to look like dry, add a little splash of olive oil and add teaspoon or two of butter. You can repeat this as many times as necessary.

- it will start smelling heavenly as you pasta is about finished. At this point you should start tasting the tuna and adding your desired amount of salt. When adding salt, stir it into tuna well.

- when the pasta is about done, add and stir in half of the chopped fresh garlic to tuna. Try to keep the garlic from getting too thoroughly cooked.

- Once you've addded the garlic, if your pasta is done, you can drain the pasta.

- turn off heat on tuna.

- now you can stir the cooked tuna and remaining chopped garlic into the pasta. I usually add another spash of olive oil, or two to the mixed tuna/pasta.

- put a large handfull of fresh spinach on a plate and cover it with pasta/tuna.

- slice lemon into quaters and squeeze one quarter of lemon's juice over each plate. Ready to serve.

if you actually took the time to type this, and didn't copy it from teh internets, i have much respect. in fact, i will try this myself.

tuna is amazing. i put in mayo (lots), some mustard, a bit of salt, and dill weed. the dill is a southern thing that i learned from my friend's mom. it makes it taste AMAZING. also, eat with saltines for maximum tastiness.

line caught yellowfin tuna steak pan seared with cumin seeds and spring onions

sweet potato mash

steamed broccoli

chopped coriander

mmmmm

alternatively

pan of pasta spirals

tin of tuna

small tin of sweetcorn

tonne of black pepper

good to go

i had a conversation with an 8 yr old about tuna last night. he couldn't get his head round the fact that they were massive fish. he assumed they had to be small enough to get in a tin. i had a similar mind blowing realisation when i was about 25.

tuna

my wife will sometimes fix herself the canned tuna over some rice with some black beans. fucking sick. smells like fucking catfood. blows my mind how people can eat that. canned tuna is unapologetically funky, especially if you've ever smelled fresh tuna before.

keltoi how can you like canned tuna but not proper tuna steak? that's even more baffling. what dont you like about the steak?

Guest Fishtank

I really don't like fish

I had some heavily seasoned trout last night with lemonbutter and I was still like ICK

shellfish, on the other hand, I love

nothing wrong with a good tuna cheese melt. tinned tuna, mixed with mayo (mayo pref are subjective, i like kewpie), spring onion, a bit of corn nibs, pepper, grated cheddar/hard mozza. its a beautiful thing!

Archived