IGNORED

An Electronic Tribute To Antarctica - Various Artists

Brandi_B

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a lot of people were waiting for the FLACS. Traffic jumped up last night. It's at about 80 downloads now. I took off about 35% of the traffic number since some were likely people that got the mp3 and then the FLAC.

--------------------

Also, if anyone notices any errors in the ID3 tags please let me know!

I've never tagged stuff before since I prefer to just use windows folders and m3u files for my music organization. So this is a first for me. I double and triple checked everything, but another set of eyes can always be helpful. In itunes or any software that displays album art, the artwork SHOULD come up automatically even if you just load a single track.

I'm working on tagging the mp3's. I should have just tagged the wavs and re-encoded everything but hindsight is always 20/20. The flacs were encoded at level 8 so they should be and sound close to the original uncompressed wav quality. I used lame for the mp3's at 320 k with all filtering off and optimized for quality.

I used the FLAC front end for FLAC encoding, and MP3 tag version 1.45a for the ID3 tags.

Guest uptowndevil

haven't had a chance to listen yet, but that album art is absolutely gorgeous. i'll give the album a listen to tonight when i'm not stuck at this shitty job.

Just because I would be interested if someone else were doing it:

Here are some statistics:

Compilation time: June 2009-January 2010

Total Hours: Lots

Total cost: $650 USD

Actions:

Accepting submissions. Many hours of listening to them all on random and doing my best not to notice who's track was who's, but that wasn't *always* the case.

Extending the deadline to get more of a variety and a better mix between down tempo and beat driven tracks.

Reviewing submissions again and making a spreadsheet of how it could all work out.

Selecting which tracks would make it onto the compilation.

Decision to make the compilation 2 discs instead of one, due to the quality of tracks.

Requesting privately to other members and non members for specific types of tracks (up or down tempo) to balance out the two discs.

Notifying accepted applicants, requesting a few songs to be shortened.

Requesting uncompressed files for mastering.

Organizing applicants email addresses, watmm user names, and artist names so I knew who was who.

Online submissions and polls for album cover, and title.

Beginning one of (i'm guessing) about 15 possible track flows. I used my dj software a lot seeing what songs would go into the next well, where there needed to be a down tempo break in the up tempo songs, and where attention might start to thin on the down tempo tracks.

Mastering:

About 60-70 hours total spread out over two months due to busy schedules. I was very involved with mastering and constantly took the days work home to listen to on my monitors and headphones.

Album artwork:

Cover was already done by Stoppit, hired someone to do the rest of the packaging, and they failed miserably and I eventually gave up on them and finished it myself (which is being re-done again after getting the last proof).

Final track layout, finish mastering, some last minute decisions

Purchasing of web server and cd proofs.

Final mastering payment.

Deducted money from attempt to do the cd packaging myself at kinkos.

---------------------------

All together the costs were about $650. Mastering, artwork, cd proofs, web server, and some more additional mixing and mastering. Since the cd service I'm using is a pay by order service, I won't have any more costs relating to them, with the exception of 1 proof I am going to get when the final artwork is done.

I say this just to share because this kind of stuff would interest me. I in no way expect any kind of return or special thanks for spending time or money. I did this for the experience and because there are so many talented artists on the compilation. I do appreciate the thanks, but my main goal is to promote the artists featured. Without their talent this would not have happened. :cisfor:

I just wanted to share stats since this has been a very public compilation and I think it is indeed anyone's business who wants to know :)

PS - A big thanks to Mr. McGriff for giving his grace for me to take over the compilation he started.

Good work Miss B ! Just a couple of things that may help you out -

I should have just tagged the wavs and re-encoded everything but hindsight is always 20/20.

.wav files (I think I'm right in saying this) don't support tagging. So the best thing to do would be make the FLACs, tag those and then convert them to mp3 (which will retain the tags)

The flacs were encoded at level 8 so they should be and sound close to the original uncompressed wav quality.

They will sound EXACTLY the same as the wavs, The L in FLAC stands for Lossless (Ie no information is chucked away). The compression level refers to the end file size (The higher the compression level the longer it'll take the encoder to compress the file as a result of obtaining a smaller file) but does NOT affect the sound quality at all. Think of it the same way you have different levels of compression on a Zip/Rar file.

I have the list right here, but I'm waiting a few days to post it to leave a lil mystery ;)

I'd rather not include it in a txt file though for privacy reasons once the zips are spread all over the internets.

I have the list right here, but I'm waiting a few days to post it to leave a lil mystery ;)

I'd rather not include it in a txt file though for privacy reasons once the zips are spread all over the internets.

True, that occurred to me after I posted. Good idea on holding out on that list. Make sure you post it in spoilers when you do so other people can join in the mystery. It'll be really awesome if I fall in love with a certain track and find out that it's a member I converse with regularly.

also it will avoid biases on the part of people who hate certain members

also it will avoid biases on the part of people who hate certain members

those people are shite imo

after listening to this in its entirety, i am very pleased with the album and would like to thank all the watmmers involved who helped create this compilation...it is superb. grabbing the flacs now for more high quality goodness...

I'm not sure who Tuxekan is, but the track is bloody brilliant and probably my favourite track on here (Most of them are chuffing brilliant all the same, don't get me wrong ! Feta Lol's track twinkles around my head like a big lovely thing).

I'm a little gutted my track has lost just over 3 minutes from it though, the track sounds a little strange just fading out like that :emb:

Top marks on the mastering on this, can't wait to pick up the CD of it...

idrn: What string synth/VST/sample pack/other/straw hat/misc set did you use on your track. It's rather nice !

The track just before yours, but I've since found out it wasn't Brandi's fault at all - more just FTP shenanigans and Ms.B had to do the best with what she had .... so yeah all is well :sleep:

Here's the full 8 minute version for anyone that wants it:

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/anctuntica.mp3 (still tagged as being for Fred's compilation ! ).

Interesting. To someone who hasn't heard the full track, the fade-out sounds natural. I didn't notice at all. I imagine it must be pretty noticeable to you, though.

PS: Your track is the bomb. It's like an exciting submarine voyage.

Cheers man, for some reason yours reminds me of my youth listening to creepy loading music on c64 games (which is a good thing !) - probably that gnarly square wave synth near the end.

Yeah. I am slammed with work this week and am doing my best to get all this stuff done. My main priority was just to get the music out for people to hear. The link is

http://www.kilobytemusic.com/Antarctica

there's just a directory there now, I took down the teaser stuff. I'm gonna get the page w/ music player done hopefully this weekend.

also, tagged mp3's are uploading

Archived