IGNORED

bands that are mega hyped

Alzado

some of his wagon christ releases are awesome though.

i used to like tool, but i've discovered so many bands in the last 5 or so years that are much better and less pretentious - i find most post-metal stuff more enjoyable than tool.

care to name a few?

I was about to ask the same thing. I've tried some and been disappointed. There are some I like of course, but Tool is Tool...I've liked them since 93, they'll always mean something to me. Even if a band is better, let's say, they're still not going to replace Tool for me.

Off the top of my head Pelican, Isis, Boris, Baroness, Kylesa, Neurosis, Godflesh, Melvins. Plenty of decent sludge and metalcore, black metal, drone, etc. now.

But Tool is pretty fucking unique, they pwn Metallica when it comes to being a timeless band.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old standbys -

Animal Collective are utter shit

Arcade Fire

Death Cab for Cutie

Neutral Milk Hotel

The Decembrists

Bands I've never heard, just judging on their name and what people say about them that I assume (or instinctually know) suck -

Vampire Weekend

Grizzly Bear

Tool

Deerhunter

For all the people who said the Knife, they are completely harmless. There is no air of douchebaggery like Animal Collective or Arcade Fire, like they have a fucking "important message about life" to get across in their limited musical minds. The Knife aren't the great band on the planet, and their synth chops are sometimes a little embarrassing, but they're easy listening.

Also whoever the fuck said the Clash hasn't really absorbed how perfect a pop song Rock the Casbah is. I'm playing that at my funeral.

some of his wagon christ releases are awesome though.

i used to like tool, but i've discovered so many bands in the last 5 or so years that are much better and less pretentious - i find most post-metal stuff more enjoyable than tool.

care to name a few?

I was about to ask the same thing. I've tried some and been disappointed. There are some I like of course, but Tool is Tool...I've liked them since 93, they'll always mean something to me. Even if a band is better, let's say, they're still not going to replace Tool for me.

Off the top of my head Pelican, Isis, Boris, Baroness, Kylesa, Neurosis, Godflesh, Melvins. Plenty of decent sludge and metalcore, black metal, drone, etc. now.

But Tool is pretty fucking unique, they pwn Metallica when it comes to being a timeless band.

I like Melvins and Isis quite a bit, Pelican to an extent. I've tried some Neurosis and haven't really gotten into them. I'm not a fan of sludge for the most part (I like the less sludgy Melvins), and don't care for black metal or drone.

Guest pantsonmyhead

Animal Collective

Deerhunter

thank you

i'd also like to add:

the doors

i just don't get it

Neutral Milk Hotel

I think their second album (In the Aeroplane Over the Sea) is massively over-hyped, even though I like it, but it's their debut (On Avery Island) I find really great. Still an acquired taste, but I really don't get why everyone prefers and goes gaga over ITAOTS.

For all the people who said the Knife, they are completely harmless. There is no air of douchebaggery like Animal Collective or Arcade Fire, like they have a fucking "important message about life" to get across in their limited musical minds. The Knife aren't the great band on the planet, and their synth chops are sometimes a little embarrassing, but they're easy listening.

Ok... I can understand someone not liking Animal Collective because you don't like Avey's voice, or you don't like the way Panda pronounces words, or you think their songs lack skill (cos to be honest, they aren't really skilled musicians, they've said so themselves) or because you think it's noisy and awkward etc...

But I just don't understand why you would think they take themselves seriously in the slightest. Maybe it's cos I've read a lot of interviews and stuff, but I can't see them as anything more than a bunch of guys having a fun messing around making music which some people like and others don't.

But Animal Collective certainly have no intentions to spread any kind of message whatsoever.

am i the only fucking person who hates the shit out of ween?

That "homo rainbow" song is hilarious. They're kind of like a 90s Grateful Dead, diehard fans for no apparent reason.

i dunno about the 'no apparent reason' part. have you actually listened to any of their albums? they're probably the most diverse band i've ever heard.

mike patton

Terrance and Phillip of metal.

i don't understand the mike patton hate on watmm. sure he's a control freak but he's got a pretty amazing voice.

yep, i was gonna suggest pretty much all of these bands. also cult of luna and knut are pretty decent. i think part of the reason i'm not really into tool anymore is that their releases are a bit too samey, in terms of sound design/production. actually that's a problem i have with a lot of modern progressive rock/metal, it's all too clean and overproduced.

lali puna and múm

I just don't get into them :shrug:

+ I don't get the hype for burial he just sounds very mediocre and uninspired to me even so he tries hard

the only track I liked was the thom yorke remix because of thom yorke

No.

rant

I love Tool but they certainly don't pwn early Metallica. In fact nothing else heavy does *ducks*. I really lost a lot for tool on 10,000 days b/c of Adam Jones' guitar playing. No he's never claimed or tried to be spectacular, and you don't have to be to contribute guitar to a band. However, the same ol stuff on top of a very different, more matured, and forward thinking rest of the band, just made me think that Tool should get a new guitarist and just keep Jones on the visual stuff. Buzz is one that comes to mind, but there's a lot of others. Tool with Buckethead would be cool, if he could keep the leads and solo's minimal. I'd really like to see Tool with Jeordie White (twiggy) on guitar. Despite him being a part of Manson, he's a brilliant musician.

Regardless, Maynard and Danny are Tool.

/rant

Without a doubt I find Tool a bit of an enigma. I only have Lateralus but heard quite a bit of the other stuff they have done. I sort of like it but I also find it a bit yawn inducing at the same time. Some parts of their songs are really cool and dynamic then there seems to be nothing really happening. Can't work them out.

Well that's one of the cool things about Tool. When it seems like there is nothing happening, there is usually quite a bit happening due to different time signatures and almost off beat rhythms. Playing guitar or drums along with Tool really sinks this in, as you can be playing something seemingly simple, but it makes me feel really on edge and super focused to stay within the correct pattern and rhythm, on even simple things. However, I agree, it is quite a different experience for the listener, and not always that entertaining. They do somehow manage to kick ass live save for the fact that as Maynard is aging, he's having a harder time singing in his trademark tool style, while he's quite capable of pulling of the A Perfect circle singing style quite fine. Live shows from the Undertow and Aenima era are solidified in rock history (imo) as some of the most amazing spectacles and live performances of the post thrash/post dream theater era of heavy progressive metal.

Even though it is how he prefers it, I think Tools live shows sadly started to go down hill (from a musical performance standpoint) when Maynard stopped playing to the crowd and started isolating in the back. I understand why he does it, but I don't like it :cisfor:

Also hearing Danny Carey play live is worth the price of a tool concert ticket alone.

Edit: It's also quite difficult (for me at least) to play Tool songs on guitar, and sing them at the same time. Brain/hands/mouth conflicts. Like 46 & 2 and Euology I've been playing for ages, but I still eff up when I try to sing and play at the same time.

am i the only fucking person who hates the shit out of ween?

the more you post the more i hate you.

as a side note i could never get into dub step.

hockey and ween are 2 of the most annoying things around you silly canuck.

i get that they are doing all sorts of different genres but every single song sounds incredibly half assed like they just hang out for a week and make a shitty record in genre x.

also 100% agree with brandi. my high school rock band tried to cover a few of those songs, including lateralus. that was a major LOL

i think part of the reason i'm not really into tool anymore is that their releases are a bit too samey, in terms of sound design/production.

That's a valid point. Despite my liking all their albums, each time they released a new single I felt it reminded me too much of the previous singles. On the whole I feel the albums definitely have their distinct vibes though.

I really lost a lot for tool on 10,000 days b/c of Adam Jones' guitar playing. No he's never claimed or tried to be spectacular, and you don't have to be to contribute guitar to a band. However, the same ol stuff on top of a very different, more matured, and forward thinking rest of the band, just made me think that Tool should get a new guitarist and just keep Jones on the visual stuff. Buzz is one that comes to mind, but there's a lot of others. Tool with Buckethead would be cool, if he could keep the leads and solo's minimal. I'd really like to see Tool with Jeordie White (twiggy) on guitar. Despite him being a part of Manson, he's a brilliant musician.

Very good point too. I had never thought about this, but it is perhaps due to the guitar playing that many of the singles tend to sound familiar at first. Similar riffs and all that. And you're right about Twiggy, he's pretty good. Have you heard Goon Moon? Pretty good band with Chris Goss of Masters of Reality and Zach Hill from Hella etc.

i think part of the reason i'm not really into tool anymore is that their releases are a bit too samey, in terms of sound design/production.

That's a valid point. Despite my liking all their albums, each time they released a new single I felt it reminded me too much of the previous singles. On the whole I feel the albums definitely have their distinct vibes though.

I really lost a lot for tool on 10,000 days b/c of Adam Jones' guitar playing. No he's never claimed or tried to be spectacular, and you don't have to be to contribute guitar to a band. However, the same ol stuff on top of a very different, more matured, and forward thinking rest of the band, just made me think that Tool should get a new guitarist and just keep Jones on the visual stuff. Buzz is one that comes to mind, but there's a lot of others. Tool with Buckethead would be cool, if he could keep the leads and solo's minimal. I'd really like to see Tool with Jeordie White (twiggy) on guitar. Despite him being a part of Manson, he's a brilliant musician.

Very good point too. I had never thought about this, but it is perhaps due to the guitar playing that many of the singles tend to sound familiar at first. Similar riffs and all that. And you're right about Twiggy, he's pretty good. Have you heard Goon Moon? Pretty good band with Chris Goss of Masters of Reality and Zach Hill from Hella etc.

Yeah, goon moon is awesome. Highly reccomended.

Archived