IGNORED

Texas

Brandi_B

Houston mostly sucks, unless you're into the rodeo, yeehaw! some cool shows do come thru here and play at places like Warehouse Live, Meridian, and once in a while House of Blues or Verizon Wireless Center. still looking for decent records stores that stock electronic music.

BTW - strippers here have to wear pasties and underwear now, WTF?

I'm sure you're aware of Soundwaves on Montrose, and Vinal Edge (purposely misspelled) on Veterans Memorial? Those are your best bet unless something new has sprung up. Soundwaves used to be pretty good for electronic, but last time I was there, over the Christmas holiday, it was pretty depressing (for CDs at least, not sure about vinyl if that's your thing). Still, largest and best music store in town.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually don't mind heat that much. Especially dry heat. In NC during late July to September, it gets so effin humid here. Sticky city. It can be 90 degrees outside and feel like it's 140. Not that I enjoy it, but I am used to it so to speak.

Well good thing you're used to it, because dry heat doesn't exist in San Antonio, haha. What you described there (90 but feels like 140) is about right. For Houston too.

Guest JohnTqs

edit: PS JohnTqs, there's an episode of the "Boon dock s" that will air sometime this year or so later on, that spoofs that scene from boogie nights you have in your avatar. It's sorta lol.

*i spaced out the name so it doesn't come up on google searches :shuriken:

haha sweet. what is boon docks though? i don't really have a lot of tv channels so i probably don't get that.

edit: PS JohnTqs, there's an episode of the "Boon dock s" that will air sometime this year or so later on, that spoofs that scene from boogie nights you have in your avatar. It's sorta lol.

*i spaced out the name so it doesn't come up on google searches :shuriken:

haha sweet. what is boon docks though? i don't really have a lot of tv channels so i probably don't get that.

It's a "cartoon" in the vein of the adult swim stuff, that comes on adult swim. It's mostly about hip hop, but is really about just about everything. My good friend does all the music for it, and i've played on a couple tracks, but have had minimal involvement this season, basically cuz it's very boring and I don't make much money to sit there and make generic sounding hip hop ;) The show is very funny though, and I saw this scene in one of the episodes he's currently working on.

we moved back to cali in august from florida. i think we should've stayed an extra couple of years in fl. but oh well. there's a lot to do here, but i don't do anything because, you know, married, 2 children, no money left over to do what i'd like to do.

Guest JW Modestburns

so far, it sounds like the best thing about texas is the tex-mex bars.

I say fuck that. I have a fantastic tex-mex place in walking distance from me here in sunny maryland.

Texas = too hot, too conservative (unless your in austin i've heard), terrible accents, horrible criminal justice system (this goes along with the conservative bit).

I could go on...

This much is true. Very true.

I say fuck that. I have a fantastic tex-mex place in walking distance from me here in sunny maryland.

This I don't know about. You don't know Tex-Mex unless you've had it in Texas (maybe you have), everything else may seem fine before you've had the real thing, but after that, you realize it sucks. Maybe the place you're talking about is an exception to the rule.

Texas = too hot, too conservative (unless your in austin i've heard), terrible accents, horrible criminal justice system (this goes along with the conservative bit).

I could go on...

This is all true too except for the accents...not really a problem when you're in the big cities (just like any other big city).

So yeah, the food. That's it. Oh and scantily-clad women, due to the heat, are a plus. Except they're mostly all conservative.

Texas wasn't gay enough for me

You're cuuuute! :wub:

or a swinger :emotawesomepm9:

:emotawesomepm9:

I'm just giving you Texans some shit, though. I've actually never been there besides flying through Houston or Ft. Worth.

buy bat cock mugs, tshirts and magnets

1. bat cock

what the fuck do you think it is

its a fucking bats cock

wtf you dont need an example, its just the cock of a bat, a bat cock

from urban dictionary :whistling:

I could go on...

Yeah, but cental Austin is so liberal having an accent or being conservative is a travesty. We do have a batshit insane governor and plenty of ignorant pricks, but that's anywhere is working class or rural America...except I dunno, Vermont or something. But the cities are just fine and there's plenty to do. Shit, Houston even has an openly gay mayor now. And it's still the cheaper to live here than Cali or Florida.

It is seeming Austin Music hall is one of the better venues for shows. I'm not really that worried about trying to see stuff in San Antonio. Any other music venues i should be looking at (as far as upcoming schedules)?

edit: okay so maybe i'm wrong. Austin Music hall has some big names but not many events.

Yeah, Austin Hall is where old people see Van Morrison or Willie Nelson. During SXSW they have the awards show and badge only events where pretentious A&R folks congratulate each other.

SXSW isn't normal, so artists play all over, but in general:

La Zona Rosa - "bigger" indie and rock acts, I've seen Mastadon and MF Doom here

The Parish - Another one to see well-known indie acts. Four Tet, Prefuse, and about every underground hip-hop show I've seen in ATX.

Emo's - has at least 3 stages at SXSW, two indoor and one outside. Usually DJ sets by hipster-friendly acts (DFA records, Simian Mobile Disco for example), Pitchforkmedia.com has their events here.

Flamingo Cafe - any dub, reggae, dancehall likely here.

Stubb's - outdoor stage usually has good free shows and bigger indie acts

Plush - I dunno about SXSW, but this is the main club in town where DJs play good electronic sets and not billboard top 40 hip-hop

Mohawk - saw Telefon Tel Aviv here, so I'd check it out

Red Eye Fly, Red 7, anything on 6th or Red River street...lot of small punk/indie venues

South Congress - usually a lot of indie acts play free shows at resturants and cafes on this street

I'm sure I forgot one. All you really need to do is go to showlistaustin.com and browse the RSVP events for the evening or find a free day show you like. Otherwise just walk around 6th street downtown, they literally shut down the street and musicians and fans just walk around. I randomly stood next to David Cross and James Iha, they were literally just walking around watching bands play.

Archived