IGNORED

Gonjasufi

Alzado

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Enter a new display name

I recently figured Gonja Sufi featured in Testament by Flying Lotus. I always assumed the singer was a 60-year old black woman.

I have had A Sufi and A Killer on repeat all week... I think it's a great album. The only tidbits that bothered me where some of the vocals were a bit to harsh/lofi... sounded like he record them into a $10 radioshack cassette recorder, which is cool and all, but fuck. I showed a few friends, and like the majority here, they didn't not enjoy it.

i hate the name and the way he looks

the whole unkempt thing reaaaallllly grinds my gears

saying "grinds my gears" totally fucking grinds my gears

I have had A Sufi and A Killer on repeat all week... I think it's a great album. The only tidbits that bothered me where some of the vocals were a bit to harsh/lofi... sounded like he record them into a $10 radioshack cassette recorder, which is cool and all, but fuck. I showed a few friends, and like the majority here, they didn't not enjoy it.

Yeah man, the subtler mic distortion works on some tracks, but the less appealing half of the tracks feature it in a really harsh way. Kind of a turn off. Maybe it'll grow on me, but that sound really grinds my gears

Guest Calx Sherbet

too be honest i woulda thought of that as a pretty cool effect. but i can imagine overuse is tiring

posting in a grinding thread

Guest Backson

I liked that track Deepex posted but here's the thing - why not get a band together to make the tracks?

we're not getting a tad picky are we?

the reason I enjoy electronic music is that the people who create it make it out of sounds that guitars and drums and harmonicas don't make.

Or they take the sounds that those instruments make and turn them into something quite different (thinking about jungle here).

This is taking those sounds, and then making music that bands in the 60s and 70s were making. So while it is (kind of) enjoyable, I'm not quite sure I "get it".

Guest Backson

I do like GLK's raw and dirty production, just can't get into his voice. Warp, I command thee to issue an instrumental version!

Its interesting that they'd sign an MC and leave the album's producer out in the cold. Nothing against Gonjasufi, but GLK must have done so much of the work on that album.

I recently figured Gonja Sufi featured in Testament by Flying Lotus. I always assumed the singer was a 60-year old black woman.

I actually haven't listened to Los Angeles since before finding out about Gonja Surfi and his signing to Warp. I never paid attention to his name in association with that song on Los Angeles, and really don't remember what it sounds like. Need to check it out one of these days.

Just would like to say Mr Gonjasufi has really grown on me. I hated his stuff when I first heard it, like really thought it was awful. Somehow though I would always go back and try another track.

I think Warp were pretty savvy to sign him. This album really fucking delivers (I got the vinyl and free mp3 deal, nice idea Bleep/Warp). It has a very unique sound and style to it. Like a lot of good music it may take some time before it 'clicks'.

Future classic.

Gonjasufi has really grown on me. I hated his stuff when I first heard it, like really thought it was awful.

+++1. I remember literally lolling when I first heard Holidays (one track I still don't like) and posting as much on here. But 'Kowboyz & Indianz' just clicked and made me get the album. I fucking love it a lot.

(Quick question: I downloaded from iTunes - is 'Dobermins' a hidden track on the CD?)

Guest kelvanE

yea i dig it 70% of the time. the other times there's too much intentional distortion. went a little bit over the rocker with the lo-fi-ness.

someone mentioned a lazy raw aesthetic. yes.

• 7 months later...
Guest Beefuncle

Tried listening to a "a sufi and a killer" so many times,

I found the whole album really dull and pointless, his voice is so coarse and whiny, he sounds like an asthmatic tom waits on helium.

I think he got very lucky with a warp signing, one of Fly Lo's trademarks is finding obscure aspiring artists to collab with and it doesn't always work. Testament completely disturbs the flow of Los Angeles and it really could've done without the perpetual headache limbo vibe that all of the tracks on a sufi and a killer give off. It would've made much more sense to just credit the track to Gonjasufi and make it his first release on an ep with a little prod. by Fly Lo big up to launch his album.

I declare shenanigans on Warp, I'm all for diversity but I really don't see what anyone likes about Gonjasufi.

"Prove me wrong kids..... prove me wrong".

I'm actually really into this album. Mostly for The Gaslamp Killer, though. I love his Ep's, My Troubled Mind and Death Gate.

But A Sufi and A Killer makes me think of Jules in Pulp Fiction "I'm just gonna walk the Earth". This album is the soundtrack to his badass bum life. The range of styles in the production really reminds me of a Tarantino flick. Spaghetti Westerns, hip hop, soul, etc.

I think 'The Caliph's Tea Party' sounds less like a collection of remixes than an album in its own right. Hope he comes up with another album sooner rather than later, can't imagine how he'd follow up the first one (and I never expected to think that when 'Holiday' first came out).

really like the album.

but it got strange when he tried to sell his shirts on fb for 30$. people were complaining and he came in and made dull jokes.

I quite like the album, and did listen to it a lot, but a few of the tracks wore out a bit fast.. got a bit much after a while.

Saw him live this summer, and he really did himself a disfavor taking the tracks to stage. He wasn't ready for it yet and the whole thing just fell apart.

Shelved the album after that actually, but will bring it back out now to give it another go. Love the GLK production though, so and instrumental version would be cool!

Archived