IGNORED

f.lux - nice little app to make your internets experience slightly nicer

kaini

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sprigg

This is basically awesome. My eyes definitely feel less strained, especially when I'm on late in the night.

Guest theSun

put this on my work pc, turned the brightness down overall as im only here ~8am-5pm

not bad

um I don't notice the effect even in the preview. Do you need some modern newfangled yuppie monitor for this software to work? plus my monitor only seems to have a brightness adjust, no tint or anything. Does it directly adjust the monitor or is it like an overlay?

Yeah it doesn't actually affect the monitor settings at all as your mouse pointer is the original colour (plus watching full screen video and games puts it back to normal). Maybe you're just seeing it at the time of day where it's not so noticeable, try again about midnight - if you don't notice it then, then you're probably going slightly blind !

Has anyone tried this with OS X? Does it affect the ambient light sensor/dimmer function in mac laptops?

edit: I should probably read FAQs first.

Guest Franklin

It is more akin to what the human eye has experienced over time; we have used flame at night for at least 40,000 years for illumination (candles, gaslamps, torches, etc.). It's only been within the past 20 years that all of us, whether for work or play, sit in front of a retina-fucking 10.5 Jigawatt monitor for hours at a time. Turning your computer into a gaslamp at a quarter turn at 2 am is the most brilliant fucking idea ever if you think about it within an evolutionary framework.

This is quite interesting dude. I wonder if anybody has done a study on this.

Yeah it doesn't actually affect the monitor settings at all as your mouse pointer is the original colour (plus watching full screen video and games puts it back to normal). Maybe you're just seeing it at the time of day where it's not so noticeable, try again about midnight - if you don't notice it then, then you're probably going slightly blind !

as I said before, click on the little sun in the application and it will run you through the full cycle so you can get an idea of the changes over the day.

lol yeah i have come to look forward to the 'shift to rosy' - this timezone and sunset it happens about 9.30, noticably later than when i first started using it.

excellent little app.

has some glitches so i stopped using it. at least for the os x version. when i loaded netflix movie veiwer (not fullscreen) the browness doubled and wouldn't go away unless I quit the app. same thing with Riven X. somewhat annoying.

i like it

though i never see a transition because i'm mostly home after dark or awake after/during sunrise. still very nice though.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the mac version could use a bit of work. I love when it's 8 pm and the app says "Sunset 13 hours ago." It still seems to be changing at the appropriate time though.

Guest Sprigg

it's really depressing seeing the pink turn back to blue when you stay up really really late :cry:

Just adjust the day settings to be the same as the night settings.

:cisfor:

I just read this thread and I am excited to try this out!

My only concern is that since I do design work, it may affect my color usage, and might end up looking like crap on another monitor or different time of day. This can happen regardless though, as the outside/inside light changes and especially if eyes are tired. And I don't do that much work at home anyway, mostly just surfing. Gonna try it!

My eyes thank you, kaini. I installed this earlier but have had it off since I was doing design work. Winding down now so I turned it on, and ahhhhh does that feel better. The glowing mouse pointer is somewhat obnoxious, especially since the eye tends to follow it as you do things, but I can get used to it. It's a bit weird to think that it's an orange tint, makes you wonder why not gray or something, but maybe they chose it for a reason. As long as I'm not doing design work or checking out nice photography it's no big deal. My eyes are more important, and the more you get used to it the less you notice it's orange.

This is win.

Archived